• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Southampton_Tottenham_Fixture_Comparison.jpg

Blue line is Spurs this season.
Red line is Southampton this season.
Green line is Southampton last season.
Purple, dotted line is last season's Southampton results rearranged to our fixture list this season. Not doing that bad after all.

Poch says he only likes a maximum of 3 transfers a year. He says any more is too disruptive.

IMO it would be a pretty big admission of incompetence if you had to shift out 2/3 of your senior players.

Poch was brought in to make this squad perform, not to overhaul it once again (remembering Walker is the only major player left from pre-2012).

But if the majority of this squad is not able to play his high intense pressing game on a regular basis then performances are not going to improve.

This was always the doubt with Poch. His demands on having ultra fit running machines does nor fit in with the players at his disposal. Yes, when he walked into Southampton his had players like this already at his disposal. But if Levy expects Poch to get the same kind of results from the assembled squad at Spurs then Levy chose wrong. FdB would have been a better match with this set of players imo.

For Poch to truly succeed he will have to trade a lot of playrrs in and out until he gets the ideal squad

Southampton_Tottenham_Fixture_Comparison.jpg

Blue line is Spurs this season.
Red line is Southampton this season.
Green line is Southampton last season.
Purple, dotted line is last season's Southampton results rearranged to our fixture list this season. Not doing that bad after all.

So we are heading for about 55-60 pts? Great

But if the majority of this squad is not able to play his high intense pressing game on a regular basis then performances are not going to improve.

This was always the doubt with Poch. His demands on having ultra fit running machines does nor fit in with the players at his disposal. Yes, when he walked into Southampton his had players like this already at his disposal. But if Levy expects Poch to get the same kind of results from the assembled squad at Spurs then Levy chose wrong. FdB would have been a better match with this set of players imo.

For Poch to truly succeed he will have to trade a lot of playrrs in and out until he gets the ideal squad

cant argue with this.....

its easy with Captain Hindsight as my wingman but yeah looking back I think De Boer of the Frank variety would have been a much better fit for our current squad.

I must confess that I am not at all impressed with Mr, Pochettino so far, I'm not enjoying the football I am watching and fail to see any improvement over last season. If anything we look to be regressing. Now I must make it clear that I DO NOT think that Poch should be fired, but I'd like to ask those posters who are calling for him to be given time and stating that they think that in time he will be a great manager for us, what gives you such optimism?

What from what you have seen so far gives you the feeling that Poch 'is the guy'?

I'm not looking for an argument but after watching Spurs for over 40 years I'm getting not getting a good feeling about this managerial appointment at all, I really hope that in time Poch is a success with us, and I'd be interested in the views of those convinced that given time he will be.

I'd like to ask those posters who are calling for him to be given time and stating that they think that in time he will be a great manager for us, what gives you such optimism?

i don't see many people saying that he will be a success, i think it's more a case of people saying give him time to show what he can do.

cant argue with this.....

its easy with Captain Hindsight as my wingman but yeah looking back I think De Boer of the Frank variety would have been a much better fit for our current squad.

I'm fully behind the current manager but I think this statement rings true.

Why do people think De Boer would have been a better fit? What is this being based on, and anyway is it not too early to come out with statements like that? (Remember that De Boer has ZERO PL experience)

Why do people think De Boer would have been a better fit? What is this being based on, and anyway is it not too early to come out with statements like that? (Remember that De Boer has ZERO PL experience)

He's not currently at Tottenham. That usually means they're better.

I must confess that I am not at all impressed with Mr, Pochettino so far, I'm not enjoying the football I am watching and fail to see any improvement over last season. If anything we look to be regressing. Now I must make it clear that I DO NOT think that Poch should be fired, but I'd like to ask those posters who are calling for him to be given time and stating that they think that in time he will be a great manager for us, what gives you such optimism?

What from what you have seen so far gives you the feeling that Poch 'is the guy'?

I'm not looking for an argument but after watching Spurs for over 40 years I'm getting not getting a good feeling about this managerial appointment at all, I really hope that in time Poch is a success with us, and I'd be interested in the views of those convinced that given time he will be.

I wanted Rafa to replace Tim, but I was happy with the POCH appointment, Southampton looked very good at times last year plus he got them to their highest finish in the prem.

I admit so far other then the QPR game and the very odd 20-30 min spells in some games I have overall been disappointed with the football. I however dont think you become a bad manager in 18 games. I think POCH needs time and a few transfer windows to buy players to fit his system. Sadly we will have to live with the poor football for now.

I think the blame should be at Baldini. The point of a director of football is to buy players to fit a system, so if a head coach leaves the replacement can just take off from were the last one left, a great example is Swansea.

I wanted Rafa to replace Tim, but I was happy with the POCH appointment, Southampton looked very good at times last year plus he got them to their highest finish in the prem.

I admit so far other then the QPR game and the very odd 20-30 min spells in some games I have overall been disappointed with the football. I however dont think you become a bad manager in 18 games. I think POCH needs time and a few transfer windows to buy players to fit his system. Sadly we will have to live with the poor football for now.

I think the blame should be at Baldini. The point of a director of football is to buy players to fit a system, so if a head coach leaves the replacement can just take off from were the last one left, a great example is Swansea.

I agree that Baldini has bought poorly to an extent but as our current squad seem unable to play Poch's pressing game has the board chosen the wrong coach? I'd agree that yes Poch has pretty much taken off where AVB left us but it's still looking pretty poor IMHO. At the moment I see no system, no pressing game or much of anything really.

Havent been impressed at all so far, even Qpr was clearly overhyped given that everyone was gubbing them!
His stubborness when it comes to Ade and his decision on the captaincy have really tested my faith in him being the long term answer. But importantly the football so far has been pretty much garbage, ive been bored during most of the games we have been on live!
Also if it takes managers time to mould their style then why have others came in and suceeded so quickly? Koeman, Pulis, Martinez have all settled much quicker in the past year. Gary Monk has settled quicker.
If our players are so poor and so devoid of taking on his instructions then how come they were able to win plenty of games under Sherwood while playing some decent attacking football?
We are worse now than we were under him and to be honest I cant see it getting any better under Pochettinho.
Totally disillusioned with the whole thing at the minute

Its not so much what we see, more what we don't see. The are subtle things which are encouraging - our passing, some players developing. But you simply have to take into account that he is effectively managing two teams and we have not had any stability for some years. So it will take time for us to develop under Poch, doubly so if he's playing two different sides once a week.

I think the pressing issue, 'cuse the pun, is how we are setup to close teams down. If we are to play that way, we need a high defensive line and a tight team. We don't have that. Our shape is compromised. The defence gets exposed and the forwards get tired out.

What gives me the most encouragement is what Poch says. While he doesn't give much away, he is smart, he is analysing and he knows what he wants. I just hope he doesn't get caught out trying to play a pressing game by halfs. Its all or nothing. In some ways I would like to see us sit back with a strong midfield line at times. As in yesterday's game, our formation can be all at sea.

This is not an easy job, but we have to give him until the second half of the season at least. Van Gal is asking for 3 years! We almost ended up with him, and how much have Manu spent? Baby steps.

Its not so much what we see, more what we don't see. The are subtle things which are encouraging - our passing, some players developing. But you simply have to take into account that he is effectively managing two teams and we have not had any stability for some years. So it will take time for us to develop under Poch, doubly so if he's playing two different sides once a week.

I think the pressing issue, 'cuse the pun, is how we are setup to close teams down. If we are to play that way, we need a high defensive line and a tight team. We don't have that. Our shape is compromised. The defence gets exposed and the forwards get tired out.

What gives me the most encouragement is what Poch says. While he doesn't give much away, he is smart, he is analysing and he knows what he wants. I just hope he doesn't get caught out trying to play a pressing game by halfs. Its all or nothing. In some ways I would like to see us sit back with a strong midfield line at times. As in yesterday's game, our formation can be all at sea.

This is not an easy job, but we have to give him until the second half of the season at least. Van Gal is asking for 3 years! We almost ended up with him, and how much have Manu spent? Baby steps.

The sad thing is that I've not heard a single United fan questioning if LVG is 'the right guy' and they've fallen much further from Grace than we have. Yet on here you hear it starting already.

The last couple of weeks he has started to make changes to the two teams. Now he's had an opportunity to learn more about our players and most importantly their personalities, pretty much as I suspected when the season started. There have been questionable decisions, but it's going forward we can see his ability to learn and adjust.

Havent been impressed at all so far, even Qpr was clearly overhyped given that everyone was gubbing them!
His stubborness when it comes to Ade and his decision on the captaincy have really tested my faith in him being the long term answer. But importantly the football so far has been pretty much garbage, ive been bored during most of the games we have been on live!
Also if it takes managers time to mould their style then why have others came in and suceeded so quickly? Koeman, Pulis, Martinez have all settled much quicker in the past year. Gary Monk has settled quicker.
If our players are so poor and so devoid of taking on his instructions then how come they were able to win plenty of games under Sherwood while playing some decent attacking football?
We are worse now than we were under him and to be honest I cant see it getting any better under Pochettinho.
Totally disillusioned with the whole thing at the minute

What a load of rubbish. I think the football has been miles better than under Sherwood and AVB. Including in some of the defeats.

Southampton had zero expectations and probably the easiest starting fixture list of any team. In the next 2 months they only have 5 fixtures that aren't against last season's top 4 and 3 of the 5 are against Man U and Everton. Lets see where they are after that..

Everton seem to have regressed this season and are below us in the table.

Pulis again always sets his teams up not to get beat and manages clubs with no expectations

It's all a little different from trying to mould a new squad into something that can challenge long term

What a load of rubbish. I think the football has been miles better than under Sherwood and AVB. Including in some of the defeats.

Southampton had zero expectations and probably the easiest starting fixture list of any team. In the next 2 months they only have 5 fixtures that aren't against last season's top 4 and 3 of the 5 are against Man U and Everton. Lets see where they are after that..

Everton seem to have regressed this season and are below us in the table.

Pulis again always sets his teams up not to get beat and manages clubs with no expectations

It's all a little different from trying to mould a new squad into something that can challenge long term

At times it's been better -- at times, it's been very similar to both the aforementioned managers (the bad bits). He'll need time to shape the squad with players who want to play for him.

The club as a whole is still trying to recover from p1ssing away £60m odd on Soldado, Chiriches and Paulinho. When you factor in £30m spent on Lamela (who has played like a player worth half that at most) and then another £10m odd on Capoue (who is no better than players we have sold) it's no wonder we are struggling.

Back