• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Sissoko as player manager obviously

3E2398FA00000578-4354462-image-a-1_1490645802923.jpg

Lets be fair, its not just money, its Utd. GLOBAL club.

As much as Spurs are the only club for me, Utd are a mega level club. They are up there with the Madrids and Barcas of this world. That alone has pull.

Without a doubt, they may be in a mess at the moment but IF they get the right manager in then it will not be too long before they are rising again.

I don’t think he will go.

But let’s play the game....

Who you go for?

Carlo Ancelotti for me

Eddie Howe has to be in with a shout. I’m not saying he’d be my first choice necessarily as there may be a new Poch doing some amazing things in Spain for example but actually, the Howe with his PL experience and really being ‘the man’ at Bournemouth is probably the most similar to what we could get.

But maybe once in the new stadium we won’t need a ‘project’ manager and can just start going for the super coach merry go round ala Chelsea, if we don’t have Poch.

Without a doubt, they may be in a mess at the moment but IF they get the right manager in then it will not be too long before they are rising again.

or could go the way of Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, PNE, Sunderland, WBA etc ... we can only live in hope

If Poch went in a year or twos time (I certainly don’t see him going yet,even though Man U is a bigger pull than some seem willing to acknowledge) I can envisage that the new Southampton manager would fit the bill....

Lets be fair, its not just money, its Utd. GLOBAL club.

As much as Spurs are the only club for me, Utd are a mega level club. They are up there with the Madrids and Barcas of this world. That alone has pull.

It comes with its own risks though. You fly too close to the sun and you’re tainted if you fail, as Moyes showed. Poch could stay here and probably make 10M a year rather than 12, but he’d have as close to a job for a life as is possible, at a club that keeps improving.

Because with great stadium, training ground, squad, the only thing holding us back from being one of those top super clubs is commercial revenue, and at the end of the day that’s a pretty sad reason to leave a place where you are loved. If this was the United who challenge for the title and are feared across the country, I’d agree it’s a bigger pull, but this a United that literally don’t look like they have a clue, from boardroom to pitch. They are Liverpool under Souness. Of course they can get back, but why risk being the guy that fails to get them there and taint yourself?

I think Poch is gonna want to win something big with us before he moves on. Particularly if it’s going to be a club that would require so much work before he gets close to what he has at Spurs. As that’s the thing that has made him successful. If he has to pay too much mind to commercial considerations as it relates to building his squad, he isn’t going to like it. No doubt he will need to think commercial at some point if he wants the United or Real job in the future, but right now I don’t think he is set up for success at United because he would need to build it in his image. Take over United when they are successful and keep it going - much more his bag I’d say.

It comes with its own risks though. You fly too close to the sun and you’re tainted if you fail, as Moyes showed. Poch could stay here and probably make 10M a year rather than 12, but he’d have as close to a job for a life as is possible, at a club that keeps improving.

Because with great stadium, training ground, squad, the only thing holding us back from being one of those top super clubs is commercial revenue, and at the end of the day that’s a pretty sad reason to leave a place where you are loved. If this was the United who challenge for the title and are feared across the country, I’d agree it’s a bigger pull, but this a United that literally don’t look like they have a clue, from boardroom to pitch. They are Liverpool under Souness. Of course they can get back, but why risk being the guy that fails to get them there and taint yourself?

I think Poch is gonna want to win something big with us before he moves on. Particularly if it’s going to be a club that would require so much work before he gets close to what he has at Spurs. As that’s the thing that has made him successful. If he has to pay too much mind to commercial considerations as it relates to building his squad, he isn’t going to like it. No doubt he will need to think commercial at some point if he wants the United or Real job in the future, but right now I don’t think he is set up for success at United because he would need to build it in his image. Take over United when they are successful and keep it going - much more his bag I’d say.

It's only a job for life here if he performs, we've seen with all of his predecessors under Levy, if the progress stops you are getting fired. There is logic in moving whilst your stock is high.

You are mostly right...but one thing they may offer is more money to spend right now...

#AllEyezOnLevy

Yes, but it would be a massive re building job even in the unlikely event that they gave him say 500 million to spend at Utd. Secondly,and I think that he himself realizes this, Mauricio is a very fine coach but he is still learning. His 'in game management' is far from perfect but is improving. He's built something here and I for one hope he stays and sees it through.

I could see Hughes coming in as a stopgap, but long term Hughes is really only good as a doorstop.

They wouldnt, surely?! That would be hilarious. No, no chance, they just wouldnt...:eek:

Eddie Howe has to be in with a shout. I’m not saying he’d be my first choice necessarily as there may be a new Poch doing some amazing things in Spain for example but actually, the Howe with his PL experience and really being ‘the man’ at Bournemouth is probably the most similar to what we could get.

But maybe once in the new stadium we won’t need a ‘project’ manager and can just start going for the super coach merry go round ala Chelsea, if we don’t have Poch.

Id expect him to be on the list, but I think there are doubts with him.

He is yet to prove himself outside of Bournemouth. And while he has them similarly punching above their weight, as Poch does us, he is also yet to really look like he can play at this level.

Bournemouth look great when on song, but often run through periods of just being a shambles.

And have they even taken any big scalps? Had proper cup runs?

I think theres a lot to like about him, Im a fan, but I have real doubts as to whether or not he is ready.

Of course it does. And I absolutely credit Poch with the belief he will understand those risks all to well - he wont just be blinded by the lights.

And its not about "If this was the Utd who..." - its about making them that team again. I can certainly see the appeal. All the good things we can offer, as well as the resources and (most essential) pull to bring in players that he wants*.

I work with a Utd fan, and he asked my thoughts. I told him I could make a compelling argument as to why he would stay with us, but also as to why he would go to Utd, so its 50/50 for me - I wouldnt predict either way.

I think it would be foolish to think anything else really, at the end of the day its Utd, and potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity.

EDIT: *as often as not for us, its not just money that prevents us getting players, is it?

Last edited:
I'd love to see him issue a statement. Something along the lines of, that he is flattered by the interest but definitely won't be leaving. Otherwise we will be in for months of frenzied media speculation. The papers and general media don't like the way we have crashed the CL places and can't wait to ship him up to Manchester.

I think Eddie Howe would be a solid, realistic target, for sure. Remember, Poch hadn't necessarily worked wonders at Southampton before he came to us, and Howe's shown an ability to improve British talent (Wilson, Cook, Brooks, Foster, Smith, etc.) and generally keep Bournemouth pretty comfortably in the league. Not that different than what Poch did at Southampton.

Jardim from Monaco is out of a job and would be an exciting appointment, and Simeone would be the unrealistic dream hire. Poch makes 8.5 where Simeone only makes 5.1, so maybe we go in with a big offer?

That said, I obviously hope that we don't need to make any of these decisions and the big man stays put.

It's only a job for life here if he performs, we've seen with all of his predecessors under Levy, if the progress stops you are getting fired. There is logic in moving whilst your stock is high.

Absolutely, as it should be. I just think that there has a bit more leeway - loyalty build up - between Poch and Levy now compared to Poch and Woodward. So it is not binary, there is a spectrum of safety, a spectrum of loyalty, and he has more of that at Spurs than he would at United.

Back