• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It was, I don’t see how it can be spun as a positive window.

We didn’t sign anyone to improve the squad, we didn’t sell anyone we wanted rid off

The two main points of the window.

We didn’t sell anyone we didn’t want to sell either. We tied Harry, Poch and Lamela to contacts. It wasn’t as disastrous as the media painted it.

Why do you assume it is a Poch vs Levy set up?

And what is the lowest price you would accept for the players we wanted to sell that are still here?

Once they are still here, we do need to name them in the squad, otherwise we are cutting our nose off to spite our face.

I don’t think it is, I think from time to time a manager needs to use the press to his benefit - he has in the past and he’s used his mate to do so again this week.

I just don’t think you can moan about it after the window is shut if you didn’t when it was open.

We didn’t sell anyone we didn’t want to sell either. We tied Harry, Poch and Lamela to contacts. It wasn’t as disastrous as the media painted it.

Whilst Jan/Christian/Dembele are running the contracts down as well.

We were never going to sell anyone we didn’t want to this window, what ever the bid with the stadium move.

Llorente is sitting on the bench in a league cup fixture with Harry not in the squad

It’s like Groundhog Day here! The reply to this every single time is who would you have bought and for how much? Not one person has managed to come up with an answer yet.

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

We don’t know the actual budget we had nor the wage structure

However if the manager wanted grealish we could have got him in if we hadn’t mucked around.

A couple of decent signings. Not necessarily risky youth. We can afford more than that. But I wouldn’t have been against sending Rose out on loan for a fee with an option to buy. That way he builds his value back up. Bring in Sessegnon maybe? He’s young but has undoubted quality. Davies’ form has dipped this year. Is that a sign that he’s rattled by Rose getting back in?

We badly needed a midfield player. Liverpool found Keita. Chelsea found Jorginho and Kovacic. Why weren’t we in for those lads or someone similar?

Grealish would have been decent as well. Not first choice but an option in a position we are weak.

We could also have gotten more for Toby. Next season he’s worth 25m. Last summer, he was worth more than that.

Again, I’ll reiterate that for all your talk of long term strategy, a football manager like Pochettino has to think short term too because that’s the nature of the beast. He could be a run of bad results or a bad league finish from the sack. And it’ll be the Facebook mob that put Levy under pressure because they aren’t just keyboard warriors - a lot of them go to the games.

If Poch was satisfied with the window or even willing to accept it, why is the journo he is closest to leaking like the Titanic recently that Poch could go elsewhere and wasn’t backed in the summer?

I would have loved Sessegnon in for Rose. I was hoping for that before Fulham got promoted and thought even then we may make a push, but I can understand why it didn’t happen. Sess wasn’t gonna push for it with his boyhood club getting promoted so definitely felt like a good reason to hold off.

I’m arguing too that Poch needs to think short term as well as long.

However if the manager wanted grealish we could have got him in if we hadn’t mucked around.
So buying Grealish for 45m would have made it a better window for you? Or just anyone, literally anyone, for any money?

Mate if whats been spelt out in the last few pages hasnt made you think it wasn’t a disastrous window then nothing will. And you might want to check your glass house before accusing someone of ridiculous statements! ;)

We can work it out from what we know about our recent contract extensions.

Lloris, Eriksen and Kane are reportedly on around 100k a week, for comparison, Liverpool are paying salad and firminho double that, that’s why we were not in for Fabinho, not to mention that we couldn’t shift anyone out to free up cash for the transfer fee and a hole in the wage budget.

It sounds like Villa were mucking about, we put in a fair price bid for an unproven player and they thought they could inflate the price.

I would have loved Sessegnon in for Rose. I was hoping for that before Fulham got promoted and thought even then we may make a push, but I can understand why it didn’t happen. Sess wasn’t gonna push for it with his boyhood club getting promoted so definitely felt like a good reason to hold off.

I’m arguing too that Poch needs to think short term as well as long.

Looking at the form of both this season it’s worked out for us.

I don’t think it is, I think from time to time a manager needs to use the press to his benefit - he has in the past and he’s used his mate to do so again this week.

I just don’t think you can moan about it after the window is shut if you didn’t when it was open.

What if Poch, Harry, Dele, Hugo or Eriksen threw their toys out of the pram? They were all linked with bigger clubs than us. They could have forced our hand like Berbatov, Keane, Carrick, Modric and Bale all did before them. They didn’t so that was a success for me.

Sessegnon is not a left back

He can play there and he’d be very well suited to how Poch uses full backs. He’d be particularly good in a system with 3 CBs playing effectively as a very attacking wing back. The sort of stuff Davies isn’t as good at.

He can play there and he’d be very well suited to how Poch uses full backs. He’d be particularly good in a system with 3 CBs playing effectively as a very attacking wing back. The sort of stuff Davies isn’t as good at.

He has been played as an attacking midfielder for the last year+ and that's in a weaker league, not sure he's considered anything other than a wide forward these days

Oh definitely, I don’t think anyone has claimed it was a great success, at least I’ve not seen it?

The only time I get involved is when i see posters saying “it was an unmitigated disaster on every level”. I just think that line of thought is ridiculous and completely without context.

I’m sure Poch would love to spend the sums that Klopp and Pep have, but I’m also sure he’s well aware he came to a club that doesn’t do that. He signed his contract only a few months ago knowing exactly how we do business.

Have to agree with all of this, the window was not a great success but neither was its a unmitigated disaster but they will ALWAYS be some fans who think we should buy players no matter what. Levy/Poch can not win no matter who they sign they will always be a FEW who complain.

We can work it out from what we know about our recent contract extensions.

Lloris, Eriksen and Kane are reportedly on around 100k a week, for comparison, Liverpool are paying salad and firminho double that, that’s why we were not in for Fabinho, not to mention that we couldn’t shift anyone out to free up cash for the transfer fee and a hole in the wage budget.

It sounds like Villa were mucking about, we put in a fair price bid for an unproven player and they thought they could inflate the price.

I don’t think 3 million and Onamah is a fair bid, the fact we went up to 25 million plus shows we don’t even think it was!!!!

So buying Grealish for 45m would have made it a better window for you? Or just anyone, literally anyone, for any money?

Mate if whats been spelt out in the last few pages hasnt made you think it wasn’t a disastrous window then nothing will. And you might want to check your glass house before accusing someone of ridiculous statements! ;)

If the manager wanted him then yes - we are not a poor club and this is the market we operate in.

But of course if levy hadn’t tried to play games with Villa it wouldn’t have cost 45 million.

Saying there is literally no one out there to improve the squad is just a joke, sadly people actually buy it.

Why would anything on the past pages change the fact that.

We didn’t sign anyone
The squad is tired and we are now seeing injuries because of it
We have 2 players in Janssen and nkodou that are not even able to play
Llorente won’t play more than the odd minute
Squad depth was an issue before so having the same numbers isn’t a fix.
No news on Christian/Jan/Dembele contracts.

We needed players and no one is suggesting we spend 200 million plus, but the chairman, DC and the manager said there was money to spend.

Last edited:
Have to agree with all of this, the window was not a great success but neither was its a unmitigated disaster but they will ALWAYS be some fans who think we should buy players no matter what. Levy/Poch can not win no matter who they sign they will always be a FEW who complain.

Does the few include the manager? He seems to be complaining about the clubs transfer policy.

I don’t think 3 million and Onamah is a fair bid, the fact we went up to 25 million plus shows we don’t even think it was!!!!

Onamah is a 20m player in this market, thats only a 2m difference.

Grealish has a few more PL appearences under his belt certainly, but they are in the same envelope. Onamah has more appearance at international level.

Back