• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Lamela made a huge difference

It’s why I keep on sayibg that we should be playing the players with fresher legs now

It’s a tough one, because there’s also an argument to say we play some of the youth while we try and get through what seems to be a bit of a post WC slide.

We play our back ups, and we don’t give an opportunity for our top guys to play their way into their best conditioning and form. And if we play the youth, we might do ok but then you’re potentially exposing players too soon / before they are ready / lettering their heads get big in a pressurised environment before having really earned their spot.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t do any of it, I just think we are in a tough spot with a lot of perspectives to juggle. It’s been a good while since I’ve seen a Spurs team so comprehensively outplayed by a rival and that sucks, but it may just be something we need to play through, because we’d be stronger later in the season for it.

It’s a tough one, because there’s also an argument to say we play some of the youth while we try and get through what seems to be a bit of a post WC slide.

We play our back ups, and we don’t give an opportunity for our top guys to play their way into their best conditioning and form. And if we play the youth, we might do ok but then you’re potentially exposing players too soon / before they are ready / lettering their heads get big in a pressurised environment before having really earned their spot.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t do any of it, I just think we are in a tough spot with a lot of perspectives to juggle. It’s been a good while since I’ve seen a Spurs team so comprehensively outplayed by a rival and that sucks, but it may just be something we need to play through, because we’d be stronger later in the season for it.

I come back to comparing the teams today and for me their best players were Wilnaldum and Milner... their two who played in the WC salad and Mane were wasteful and in salads case looked really knackered

You stagger when you play your back ups and phase in those who missed ore season. Injuries to lamela and Wanyama haven’t helped as they would have been available. Son too but now is a time as we enter a league run of easier games on paper at least

I come back to comparing the teams today and for me their best players were Wilnaldum and Milner... their two who played in the WC salad and Mane were wasteful and in salads case looked really knackered

You stagger when you play your back ups and phase in those who missed ore season. Injuries to lamela and Wanyama haven’t helped as they would have been available. Son too but now is a time as we enter a league run of easier games on paper at least

And there is something in Klopp resting Henderson even if he is captain.

Poch and Klopp have different training and conditioning methods and Poch has always wanted to play players into form rather than resting them so maybe this is just a period we have had to suffer through - unlucky in that we were affected by a lot of our players getting to the semis.

And there is something in Klopp resting Henderson even if he is captain.

Poch and Klopp have different training and conditioning methods and Poch has always wanted to play players into form rather than resting them so maybe this is just a period we have had to suffer through - unlucky in that we were affected by a lot of our players getting to the semis.

Same as Chelsea have with hazard

And I get training into form but it’s fitness that seems to be the issue which you don’t get from training

We thumped Liverpool at Wembley in October last season. Who would’ve thought on that day that they’d get to the Champs Lge final and finish top 4? They used that result against us a moment to kick on from. Here’s hoping we (and, in particular, Levy) use today in the same way.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I still maintain that we were running on fumes from the win at Stamford bridge and that we DESPERATELY needed some fresh legs in the squad, especially in the central midfield area. We've been losing battles in that area more often than not since April: Dembele's age is catching up with him; Wanyama possibly perma-crocked, Dier running like in treacle AND not able to hide it anymore, Winks still feeling his way back. Plus Poch's system takes a long-term toll physically on the players so there was a need to be able to rotate our aging players - who have put their all into this project over the years - and not bleed them dry.
Poch knew it; we all knew it. But yet, not only do we not buy additional cms - our most pressing need - but we buy ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE.

I still think us not buying anyone suggests we have big issues behind the scenes - i know this caused many to call me mad before but perhaps today's performance will open a few more eyes.

As far as i'm concerned whatever decline we might show this season Poch is absolved of any blame

I still maintain that we were running on fumes from the win at Stamford bridge and that we DESPERATELY needed some fresh legs in the squad, especially in the central midfield area. We've been losing battles in that area more often than not since April: Dembele's age is catching up with him; Wanyama possibly perma-crocked, Dier running like in treacle AND not able to hide it anymore, Winks still feeling his way back. Plus Poch's system takes a long-term toll physically on the players so there was a need to be able to rotate our aging players - who have put their all into this project over the years - and not bleed them dry.
Poch knew it; we all knew it. But yet, not only do we not buy additional cms - our most pressing need - but we buy ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE.

I still think us not buying anyone suggests we have big issues behind the scenes - i know this caused many to call me mad before but perhaps today's performance will open a few more eyes.

As far as i'm concerned whatever decline we might show this season Poch is absolved of any blame
I don't want to get into the discussion about player purchases again, but if our players are tired they shouldn't be playing pointless internationals.

I don't want to get into the discussion about player purchases again, but if our players are tired they shouldn't be playing pointless internationals.

Perhaps; but this is irrelevant of internationals imo; it's more a long-term thing. You can only squeeze so much energy and juice out of a set of players at this point

Well, he wanted new faces but in order to get them he needed to shift some out. NOT for the money, for the squad size and to send the message to potential incomings that their path would not be blocked by anything other than their own training habits. He wanted to shift Dembele, Alderweireld and Rose, yet all three players managed to price themselves out of moves away with their huge wage demands versus home truths re: performances and fitness. Thus we remain stuck with them and Poch is left having to deal (Wanyama was also in that group BTW). So now he has to get the best out of them. The ONLY criticism I have for his team selection is continued faith in Form (who is bang-fudging-average) and Dembele as a starter. Beyond that, I agree...

Dier is really perplexing. I just don't get it, because he is a ver, very important player when on-form.

Perhaps; but this is irrelevant of internationals imo; it's more a long-term thing. You can only squeeze so much energy and juice out of a set of players at this point
We need more better players. Not the average utility type with no hunger to excel. We need to get rid of average quickly and ficus on building a winning mentality. Even if it means getting younger players involved. Also i think we need beefier players... We looked slightly lightweight even versus Liverpool!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Fapatalk

Well, he wanted new faces but in order to get them he needed to shift some out. NOT for the money, for the squad size and to send the message to potential incomings that their path would not be blocked by anything other than their own training habits. He wanted to shift Dembele, Alderweireld and Rose, yet all three players managed to price themselves out of moves away with their huge wage demands versus home truths re: performances and fitness. Thus we remain stuck with them and Poch is left having to deal (Wanyama was also in that group BTW). So now he has to get the best out of them. The ONLY criticism I have for his team selection is continued faith in Form (who is bang-fudging-average) and Dembele as a starter. Beyond that, I agree...

Dier is really perplexing. I just don't get it, because he is a ver, very important player when on-form.
Dier... He stopped developing whole the squad moved on. I say keep him for his character etc. But play him as a last resort.

This all feels like a bit of a weird season. Poch is in a tough spot. The stadium stuff adds to the sense of murkiness but we’ve excelled when we’ve had a squad that is all pulling in the same direction, all focussed on relentless improvement and knowing that they are part of a collective that is on a journey. The fact that we were unable to sell all of the 3 or 4 players that we wanted to and that they remain means this is almost unchartered territory for Poch.

He’s in a tough spot, because he now has to play them to show that truly everyone starts from 0 this season. He’s showing he’s a fair leader, and he needs these experienced players bought in. But how he will motivate the squad with these make up vs the way he’s done it in the last few years will have to be different. And you can tell, he’s being less protective, more demanding, and is trying to do the best with what he can.

I wonder if he already recognises a sense of drift, of the foot coming off of the pedal with these players. Maybe it’s almost a reset back to his first season, where he’s giving the older players enough rope to hang themselves in order to then reestablish what the culture needs to be. It’s tough because most managers that deal with experienced pros don’t usually place public demands on the players, they are usually protective and keep everything behind closed doors. Poch is public and constant in his thinking that we aren’t working as hard and that things aren’t right. But I’m sure he thinks if he lays off, the entire culture that has been created would be at risk of dissipating.

Hopefully I’m just being over dramatic but something doesn’t feel right. We shouldn’t be as bad as we were today against a rival. Maybe injuries and WC fatigue are just the biggest factors and it will all calm down once we get a run going. But with Lloris in the papers, Moura sounding off about fascist politics, even Son having way more on his mind recently than the success of Spurs...it all feels like the squad is distracted and not focussed on its single mission. When you then layer in that the players we tried to sell are probably thinking they have one more season left before they are gone, it’s the most disjointed the squad has felt for a long time, in terms of its focus. If Poch can actually get a tune out of all of these disparate parts, it will be a great success. But to do that, he will have to motivate players in a different way to how he has done so before, while still maintaining the culture and standards of the club. Really difficult balance to strike.

We seem to put sky high prices on our players, if it was so urgent to get rid we would have reduced the fee - how is keeping Janssen and GKN value?

All three of Rose/Toby/Dembele have played large parts this season, so we would have been screwed if they had gone.

We have a team/squad good enough to do better than we have done these past two games regardless of transfers - it's going to be a long season if it's going to be the go-to moan every time we drop points.

Dier... He stopped developing whole the squad moved on. I say keep him for his character etc. But play him as a last resort.

I think Dier has played pretty much every game over the last 4 seasons, plus a WC and Euros. If anyone is run into the ground it's him, not Kane. We need a good spell from Wanyama to give him a chance to freshen up

We thumped Liverpool at Wembley in October last season. Who would’ve thought on that day that they’d get to the Champs Lge final and finish top 4? They used that result against us a moment to kick on from. Here’s hoping we (and, in particular, Levy) use today in the same way.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Levy missed his chance to kick us on in the summer.

If we are not careful we will be opening the new stadium with EL football (which will Be karma after those posters this year)

Certain posters used the term “agenda” as an insult to those who criticised the club over no transfers, we didn’t have an agenda we just saw new players were needed to shake things up, improve the squad and keep players like alli on their toes.

The comments about the squad is difficult to improve will come back and bite the club all season.

Levy missed his chance to kick us on in the summer.

If we are not careful we will be opening the new stadium with EL football (which will Be karma after those posters this year)

Certain posters used the term “agenda” as an insult to those who criticised the club over no transfers, we didn’t have an agenda we just saw new players were needed to shake things up, improve the squad and keep players like alli on their toes.

The comments about the squad is difficult to improve will come back and bite the club all season.

You could be right. Early days, though.

Unless we win something the improvement line is wrong.

No it isn't - the position the club is in and the market in which we shop means improving the squad is hard, doesn't mean we couldn't do so but if you can't recognize the difficulty in improving a top 3 squad when you don't have the money to spend that your rivals have then i don't think you're looking at things in a balanced manner.

Ending last season you'd thought there was a lot of potential to get better and there was good momentum behind it.

The world cup and international games - they were always scheduled for so management and poch knew that it was going to be a difficult start but had all the time to manage it.

But from the lack of readiness of the second stringers (except for moura) i am finding myself suspecting that things didn't go as expected. Perhaps the lack of transfers is hiding something of greater concern.

Back