• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Yes you could be right, although I wouldnt view it as 'crazy ideas' considering the players being mentioned - all players that we have discusssed as leaving on here for various reasons....

I think anyone suggesting to improve we must sell off the spine of a very successful team could be called crazy ;)

All at once, out - gone - and replaced? Thats pretty drastic even if people can justify the individual sales.

I think anyone suggesting to improve we must sell off the spine of a very successful team could be called crazy ;)

All at once, out - gone - and replaced? Thats pretty drastic even if people can justify the individual sales.
But its not the spine is it? Toby hasnt featured barely for a year, Dembele granted although most believe his best days are coming to an end, Rose same as Toby - most of the players he is looking to get rid of alledgedly arent players who feature much anymore for whatever reason bar Dembele. Its not like we are getting rid of Lloris, Verts, Dier, Dele, Kane - they are our actual spine....

I would have thought 'crazy ideas' and 'taking risks' was more likely to mean spending big money on established players ie Bale....

Could mean that, could mean a whole bunch of things - selling four or five first team players and replacing them with younger players, selling Kane for 200m to fund a rebuild etc i think one thing we should know is that Poch knows our financial position in the food chain and what can be expected post stadium build so unless he's planning an exit strategy he shouldn't be asking for the earth

Mate, people don't understand this is multi-million dollar business

- There are plans, plans to exceed plans, checkpoints, target adjustments, 3-5 year goals, key performance indicators
- Poch/Levy know (not think/speculate) if we have been successful/are ahead of schedule
- There would have been investment decisions to be made at checkpoints, etc.

Just because other clubs are run like a corner store, doesn't mean Spurs are.

17 years ago, Levy outlined Enic's plans for the club: a world class training ground, a team that can compete and a new stadium. This has been repeated in some of the annual reports and chairman's end of season statements. How many of us thought he would deliver, especially when watching Arsenal win things and Levy sack numerous managers?

It's also notable how the press mocked Levy for insisting on a DoF type system with a Head Coach. Now all the top clubs favour some variant on the system.

I was looking for an early statement of the three-point plan, unsuccessfully, but found this positive piece on our club and its planning:

Tottenham Hotspur’s New Stadium Will Be Most Technologically Advanced In The Premier League

When ENIC bought Tottenham Hotspur in 2001, the club was a mid-table side whose achievements were dwarfed by fierce rivals Arsenal.

Fast forward 16 years and Tottenham have become North London’s best team, competing for the Premier League title in the past two seasons and finishing ahead of Arsenal for the first time since 1994-95.

Technological blueprint

What is equally impressive is that Spurs have achieved this while balancing the books, unlike Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project who have spent billions on transfer fees and wages to transform their fortunes.

Executive Director Donna-Marie Cullen attributes this to a three-point plan implemented by the owners they took over – to improve the squad, build a state of the art training centre that will attract and retain players, and to build a bigger stadium.

It may have taken 17 years but, Tottenham’s new 61,000 arena will open in 2018, promising to be the most technologically advanced stadium in the Premier League, generating significant revenue opportunities for the club as it attempts to continue this ‘organic’ growth and win its first league championship since 1961.

New Stadium
“This is a game changer for the club,” said Cullen. “We want to deliver this iconic building for London and we want it to be one of the most technologically advanced in the world.”

She added that play a role every step of the way”, from purchasing a ticket to arriving at the stadium, in order to deliver the best customer experience in the Premier League.

The new stadium will have large video screens, LED signage, public Wi-Fi access, mobile point of sale (POS) systems, click and collect food and beverage, as well as analytics platforms that learn about user behaviour. For example, location data could be used to track footfall for targeted advertising.

While fans of other sport (NFL, rugby union, cricket, tennis) spend much more time at a venue. This can partly be attributed to duration – a 90 minute football match is comparitively short – but also to culture.

By learning more about fans, the hope is that Tottenham can entice them to stay longer at the new facility, spending more money on food, drink and merchandise while easing the strain on local transport services.

Vendors have been talking about this for some time, but outside the US there hasn’t been much traction. Whether this is a technology issue, or simply that American sports fans are more willing to embrace the new is up for debate but Sanjeev Katwa, head of technology at Tottenham, said Europe is trailing.

Spurs’ new stadium will host two NFL matches each year for ten years and US sporting venues have been an inspiration for the club’s technological blueprint.

“I think the takeup of wireless connectivity is really poor [in European stadiums],” he said in response to a question from Silicon. “There are only two or three that have done anything. In the US it is almost a given that any venue, whether it’s NFL, soccer or an indoor arena, has connectivity. They don’t even need to promote it.”

Read More on page 2…

But its not the spine is it? Toby hasnt featured barely for a year, Dembele granted although most believe his best days are coming to an end, Rose same as Toby - most of the players he is looking to get rid of alledgedly arent players who feature much anymore for whatever reason bar Dembele. Its not like we are getting rid of Lloris, Verts, Dier, Dele, Kane - they are our actual spine....

I have no intention of getting into arguing semantics all day, so I wont be chasing this too long.

Perhaps spine isnt the right word, but basically its like this:
Remember when Fergie got rid of Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis and people thought he was mental. They did ok though.

For most on here Rose is still first choice LB. Alderweireld the best CB in the league. Dembele our most important midfielder.

Whether or not they have made a big impact this year, I think its not unfair comment.

Seems to me most people here would be pencilling in these same players in their fantasy line up for match day 1.

And, potentially, Poch is talking about letting them all go and replacing them. That, I dont think is unfair to say, could easily be considered "crazy".

And lets be honest here, none if us have no idea what he meant exactly - so I think you would probably agree its not worth arguing over too much ;)

I was just putting out an alternative to your assumption. Much like Billy did above.

I have no intention of getting into arguing semantics all day, so I wont be chasing this too long.

For most on here Rose is still first choice LB. Alderweireld the best CB in the league. Dembele our most important midfielder.

Whether or not they have made a big impact this year, I think its not unfair comment.

Seems to me most people here would be pencilling in these same players in their fantasy line up for match day 1.

And, potentially, Poch is talking about letting them all go and replacing them. That, I dont think is unfair to say, could easily be considered "crazy".

And lets be honest here, none if us have no idea what he meant exactly - so I think you would probably agree its not worth arguing over too much ;)

I was just putting out an alternative to your assumption. Much like Billy did above.

I think I'm agreeing with you really. If we let Rose, Dembele and Toby go, that could be considered crazy (also radical/brave/taking risks that Poch talked about). That's why I mentioned Fergie, when he let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis go. People seriously questioned that at the time. They then started the season off losing away to Villa 3-1 "you win nothing with kids" and all that. The rest is history.

Could easily have been us in the CL final if we had more luck in the Juve game with the ref seeing some of their fouls for a start
Only if we had gotten Lollerpool's draws. But we would have gotten Real and then Bayern. Bit of a tall order, but would have loved to see us go up against those teams.

I think I'm agreeing with you really. If we let Rose, Dembele and Toby go, that could be considered crazy (also radical/brave/taking risks that Poch talked about). That's why I mentioned Fergie, when he let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis go. People seriously questioned that at the time. They then started the season off losing away to Villa 3-1 "you win nothing with kids" and all that. The rest is history.

Absolutely, sorry, I think my intent was unclear. I was using your example to support my own.

No of course, I agree that it could mean selling a load of our players but I wouldnt consider the ones being talked about as a 'crazy idea' - we all understand why Toby, Dembele etc could need to be sold. The reason I was arguing against being the spine of the team, other than Dembele none of these players have featured much at all so certainly not the spine and have proved we are fine without them so not a crazy idea at all, as essentially as good as they were they are nothing more than squad players now and its nothing new to sell squad players to fund more quality signings.....

Billyiddo - thanks for posting the quotes (I have pasted them in again below).

That is the first time I had read the quotes in isolation and, as you say, they are actually incredibly positive quotes. I love that Poch has some ideas that he thinks will ensure that we can compete for the major trophies (and remember that Poch only considers those to be the PL and CL). With his "Crazy ideas" comment it doesn't sound like Poch is talking about us going out and spending fortunes on a bunch of established players. I would say that the biggest thing Pochettino will be pushing Levy for is him allowing us to sign new players before existing players are sold. Let Poch go out and get the squad he wants and then concentrate on selling/loaning unwanted players after that. Yes there is then a risk that we will achieve lower transfer fees for our unwanted players, but I think that is a risk worth taking in this case.

“We need to talk a lot between us and the club. I think I have a very clear idea of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not, but we are going to talk next week to create what I think we need to do together again, to try to improve. That is a little bit up to Daniel and the club, of course, to agree with us because, after four years, I think we need to assess that period if we want to compete for big, big trophies. I think all that we achieved until today is fantastic but it will be so important to create again.

“I think they’re going to listen to me, of course, but sometimes I have some crazy ideas. But you need to be brave in this kind of situation, in our club with our unbelievable fans, and take risks. I think it’s a moment for the club to take risks and try to be competitive. I am sure Daniel is going to listen to me and of course we can create together to help the team to move on.”

The more I read this, the more I think Poch wants to do a Fergie in the summer of '95. Sell a few established players that maybe we don't expect, and bring in some fresh faces. It wouldn't surprise me if Poch wants to get more pace and directness into the first XI (maybe the signing of Moura is a sign of things to come). Harry to be our Cantona and lead the merry men to the double! :D

I don’t think Chelsea do want him. I think they want someone like him, but I don’t think for a second they feel like they could ever get the actual Mauricio Pochettino. There’s more chance of us sacking Poch to sign Wenger.

Chelski are arrogant, deluded and cnutish enough to privately approach Poch and ask him if he would be interested. Poch I'm sure was sensible enough to say thanks but no fcjking thanks.

Would it be that crazy? Toby missed most of the season through injury, form and example; his potential replacement has been bedded in. Rose hasn't been our favoured starter for a season and a half and his form since injury has been poor; Davies may not be as good as Rose at his best but has been a solid player. Dembele's injury problems are getting better, even though he has still being a crucial player in some games. His position could be the one where we need to take risks on a replacement as a starter, the other whole we need backups.

There comes a point in every contract where the player is worth more to the club in transfer fee/saved wages than they are on the pitch.

Also, there is still a question mark over mental strength, if the coaching team have decided that certain players could be replaced with less volatile individuals we might see a surprising move or two.

The ownership and the coaching team have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt to proceed as they see fit.

Would it be that crazy? Toby missed most of the season through injury, form and example; his potential replacement has been bedded in. Rose hasn't been our favoured starter for a season and a half and his form since injury has been poor; Davies may not be as good as Rose at his best but has been a solid player. Dembele's injury problems are getting better, even though he has still being a crucial player in some games. His position could be the one where we need to take risks on a replacement as a starter, the other whole we need backups.
Exactly what I was saying. Except for Dembele these are all players who through injury and form arent considered first teamers anymore - its not crazy to suggest selling them for younger models.The Man Utd example, Ince et al were very much first team players at the time....

The question that matters is not whether it is crazy or not to sell those players it's whether Poch would describe it as such in an informal end of season post match interview - don't see how that can be argued either way unless you 'know Poch personally' as someone put it recently...

The question that matters is not whether it is crazy or not to sell those players it's whether Poch would describe it as such in an informal end of season post match interview - don't see how that can be argued either way unless you 'know Poch personally' as someone put it recently...
The only thing I was debating was that it wasnt the spine of our team - which it isnt. I thought he could be alluding to bigger signings for the 'crazy ideas' comment but made it quite clear that I was speculating and accepted it could also mean he wants to have a mass exodus. Those who start sentences with 'Poch clearly means' are talking as if they know Poch personally, theres a bit of difference....

I don't think it necessarily would be, but it would be portrayed that way by the Soccer Saturday/Talksport crowd, imo.

However, Poch might go beyond those players, you never know

Back