• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

On the plus side we are now approaching a point where we're financially not miles from Chelsea / Liverpool / Arsenal,* so even if/when Poch leaves I don't think that means we'll fall apart as a club - we'll have the money and status to attract top managers and players to rebuild.

*https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...eague-highest-earners-world-manchester-united
There's top managers and then there's the right managers for a club with our financial means. A top manager will demand top transfers and even if we do close the gap to Chelski/Lol/Woolwich, I doubt we will be making top transfers or offering top wages. So we would still need a manager in the Poch mould: one that can take top talent (which we should be able to attract) and develop it into excellent players. And also one that would continue Poch's philosophy and be adored by the players. That's a really tall order. So I wouldn't rest assured on the fact that having more money to spend will guarantee our continued progress.

Even if we do get an oil tycoon type, there is still FFP to deal with. Just because we would get an oil tycoon doesn't mean we will all of a sudden be making 50-60 mil transfers and offering 200K in wages. We'll still have to manage our finances in a prudent fashion, although an oil tycoon type may be fine with the club just breaking even and not turning a profit, which would give us a little more to play with.

Or a tycoon could pay off the ground and create a whole new means of income like city have (creatively)

Net spend is not anywhere near a decent predictor of where a side will finish. Neither is just plain spend. Wages are a much better predictor. OK, it's irrelevant to the Poch thread, but I had to set the record straight.
Indeed... players’ wages cumulative totals for Pochettino’s first 3 seasons, from 2014/15 to 2016/17...

ManU: £699million
Chelski: £658million
€iteh: £636million
ARSEnal: £586million
Dippers: £582million
Spurs: £327million

As you say, hopefully the new stadium will allow us to up the wages by a fair whack next season...

DaU18_xWsAALr4E.jpg

Love the guy, and he's obviously done very well for us, BUT he really needs to be more decisive with substitutions and make them quicker when things aren't going to plan.

It was clear to bloody everybody that today Lamela was awful and offered absolutely nothing. But he waits until the bloody 77th minute to take him off. Very poor.

Love the guy, and he's obviously done very well for us, BUT he really needs to be more decisive with substitutions and make them quicker when things aren't going to plan.

It was clear to bloody everybody that today Lamela was awful and offered absolutely nothing. But he waits until the bloody 77th minute to take him off. Very poor.

Taking off Alli for Son was baffling. Should have been Lamela for Lucas, as early as possible. Maybe 50th minute.

It's a definite flaw, and I don't buy the whole 'he's got more information than you do' schtick. Other managers do, too, and they are more decisive with their subs than Poch is - there was a stat going around that showed that we were the side that introduced subs the *latest* in the damn league.

Nonetheless, he's a star. We as a club are inescapable, perennially self-sabotaging and on the verge of bottling - but he's managed to stave it off admirably for sections of his tenure here.

I hold Poch mainly accountable for the brick show of a match today. We needed points, but he set us up with zero goal threat and it was clear by the end of the first 45 that we were not doing enough in that system to cause West Brom enough problems. To then wait another 20+ minutes before making a substitution was really poor.

We are in with a chance of finishing fifth with these performances, because Chelsea will be spurred on by this and will win every game they have left. I struggle to see us gaining 2 points from these last two games after this showing.

We have always struggled against teams that park the bus and Poch needs to come up with a solution, because results like this are what will ultimately cost us year after year.

I am starting to be on the fence over him now, I think I would be meh if he did leave now.

He just doesnt seem to be learning anything, we have crumbled at the end of the season again, if we get top 4 it will be a lot closer than it should be - FA cup semi defeat as well.

You can throw all the finance figures figures you like, but we should still have enough to beat Brighton/WBA and we got very lucky against Stoke and Watford.

His attitude after cup semi was ridiculous as well.

I am starting to be on the fence over him now, I think I would be meh if he did leave now.

He just doesnt seem to be learning anything, we have crumbled at the end of the season again, if we get top 4 it will be a lot closer than it should be - FA cup semi defeat as well.

You can throw all the finance figures figures you like, but we should still have enough to beat Brighton/WBA and we got very lucky against Stoke and Watford.

His attitude after cup semi was ridiculous as well.

It would not surprise me in the least if a press release came out after the final game, whether we finish Top 4 or not, saying him and Club have mutually agreed to part.

I am beginning to think that maybe Pochettino went to Levy with his shopping list for Summer, and was rebuffed and asked to set his sights lower. That could have been the final straw for Pochettino, frustrated like previous managers, that he cant have what he needs. Agreed to stay until the end of the season and then goodbye. The players know, and now we are seeing them going through the motions.

That today, and Monday night, did not look like a bunch of players thoroughly motivated to finish as high as possible

Something definitely isn’t right, I’m still hoping it’s just that he drove them too hard mid season and they are fudged rather than they know change is coming.

He’s not getting anything out of them at the minute though.

But Liverpool were helped with the overpriced market and selling Coutinho.

Kyle walker 50 million?

They made some exceptional attacking buys though. Firminho, Mane and Salah are doing the business for them and didn't cost big bucks

Nothing new is it, he doesn’t seem to learn in this area....

Back