• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Based on the wages we pay 4th is overachievement.

Based on the players we have and the weaknesses of other clubs 4th will be a disappointment.

I have bitten your arm off at the start of the season for what we have now.

My only true disappointment was the West Ham cup game...and our two performances against City they all showed our continued mental fragility.

He started to look his old self when dropped back and moved away from goal. He is one hell of a passer of the ball and opens up defences. We stuck up against the centre backs he is stifled somewhat.
I always liked him when he played in one of the three AM positions behind Soldado when he first started for us....

My only true disappointment was the West Ham cup game...and our two performances against City they all showed our continued mental fragility.

So would I, but having played it out it feels like we’ve left points on the table.

I think it's a good return from a season where we have played away from our home ground, but i agree with Galeforce that we have a team/squad good enough to consider 4th a minimum atm
Id say 4th is par even with the Wembley factor. Id of been very disappointed(assuming we do finish top 4) if we'd finished below Chelsea or Arsenal, they are simply nowhere near as good as us. This thing about wages etc is irrelative for me - thats more a reflection of how good a job Levy has done. Kane etc are earning nowhere near as much as they could/should be earning so our wages arent a reflection of how good our squad actually is....

Id say 4th is par even with the Wembley factor. Id of been very disappointed(assuming we do finish top 4) if we'd finished below Chelsea or Arsenal, they are simply nowhere near as good as us. This thing about wages etc is irrelative for me - thats more a reflection of how good a job Levy has done. Kane etc are earning nowhere near as much as they could/should be earning so our wages arent a reflection of how good our squad actually is....

Were you predicting 4th at a minimum back in the summer?

I think the fact we have done well to only let the Wembley factor have a minimal effect speaks volumes for the team/squad/management and perhaps means it's easy to dismiss it's impact. I think had we had a poor season as a result everyone would have quite rightly pointed to the ground situation so in a way our own ability to overcome such a situation means it doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves.

I think wages are more a reflection of what you should be expecting rather than how good you actually are - give Charlie Adam 200k p/w and he doesn't become a better player because of it afterall, but if you're paying someone big bucks you expect performances in line with what you are paying them. If you're a side like Arsenal or Chelsea and you're paying out the 3rd/4th highest wage bill in the league and you have a team that's sitting in 5th or 6th and not looking a patch on the teams above you then somewhere someone is wasting the money available to them.

Last edited:
Were you predicting 4th at a minimum back in the summer?

I think the fact we have done well to only let the Wembley factor have a minimal effect speaks volumes for the team/squad/management and perhaps means it's easy to dismiss it's impact. I think had we had a poor season as a result everyone would have quite rightly pointed to the ground situation so in a way our own ability to overcome such a situation means it doesn't quite get the recognition it deserves.

I think wages are more a reflection of what you should be expecting rather than how good you actually are - give Charlie Adam 200k p/w and he doesn't become a better player because of it afterall, but if you're paying someone big bucks you expect performances in line with what you are paying them. If you're a side like Arsenal or Chelsea and you're paying out the 3rd/4th highest wage bill in the league and you have a team that's sitting in 5th or 6th and not looking a patch on the teams above you then somewhere someone is wasting the money available to them.
Yes - like I said with you the other day regarding Wembley some of us didnt envisage Wembley being such an issue because the vast majority of games are against teams who are quite simply not as good as us. I thought it was more a media thing than a real 'hoodoo' and so its proved. Also thought we would get top 4 because at least one of the other challengers always make a mess of their season, we have more stability than any other club really and that counts for a lot so I would have been surprised/disappointed if we hadnt of got top 4. Thats not to say its not an achievement to be there, just that we have a great coach and a very talented pool of players and I would have expected them to demonstrate that....

Yes - like I said with you the other day regarding Wembley some of us didnt envisage Wembley being such an issue because the vast majority of games are against teams who are quite simply not as good as us. I thought it was more a media thing than a real 'hoodoo' and so its proved. Also thought we would get top 4 because at least one of the other challengers always make a mess of their season, we have more stability than any other club really and that counts for a lot so I would have been surprised/disappointed if we hadnt of got top 4. Thats not to say its not an achievement to be there, just that we have a great coach and a very talented pool of players and I would have expected them to demonstrate that....

Iirc i too was confident in our ability to overcome the move but the difference i guess is that i recognized that it would/could have an impact and it was more so confidence in our ability to overcome the situation rather than thinking there wasnt a problem in the first place.

This all 'good or bad season' discussion, keeps me asking myself and now you guys. How good are we?

I think we are very good.

I look at the fact that you can go to a Spurs game now against anyone in the land, bar Emirates Marketing Project and be confident of a win, we are highly competitive and smash more teams than we throw up performances like last night.

I don't react per result, last night and not winning does not affect me like others I see, its out the system by the time I wake, maybe methodically thinking but thats how I am. When I take the sample size of when Poch has been here the clubs on a different level to the same time 10-15 years ago. Look at the win versus loss column of his time here, factor in the draws and it shows how highly competitive and more key consistent we are. People point to silverware but as a fan I want to win stuff but I don't expect it, thats not what I am in it for, its all about the club and we are served up a decent one.

Iirc i too was confident in our ability to overcome the move but the difference i guess is that i recognized that it would/could have an impact and it was more so confidence in our ability to overcome the situation rather than thinking there wasnt a problem in the first place.
Yeah fair play, thats another way of looking at it and cant really argue with that either....

Couldn’t agree more on every point. I’m STILL fuming about that West Ham game!

So would I, but having played it out it feels like we’ve left points on the table.

I know what you mean, but every club does and we always will.

Losing is never a nice thing!

But in the case of West Ham City x2 its how we lost.....that sticks in my craw because we are better than that.

Look mate, we play well, probably as well as anyone in the league, but lets not fool ourselves

Chelsea has a better squad than us, and a truly WC player in Hazard -> Hazard/KDB are the two players in the league that can win games consistently be themselves.
Arsenal is simply bad coaching, there is quality in that squad, especially on the attacking side.

We are 6th in wages, and probably 5th/6th in squad quality, 4th in a season with Wembley and four of our best players from last season barely involved (Walker, Rose, Toby, Wanyama) with additional injuries (Winks, Kane, Dembele, Son, Lamela) at points in the season is an amazing result

Look mate, we play well, probably as well as anyone in the league, but lets not fool ourselves

Chelsea has a better squad than us, and a truly WC player in Hazard -> Hazard/KDB are the two players in the league that can win games consistently be themselves.
Arsenal is simply bad coaching, there is quality in that squad, especially on the attacking side.

We are 6th in wages, and probably 5th/6th in squad quality, 4th in a season with Wembley and four of our best players from last season barely involved (Walker, Rose, Toby, Wanyama) with additional injuries (Winks, Kane, Dembele, Son, Lamela) at points in the season is an amazing result
Thats your opinion and thats fine but sounds to me like you're overegging Chelsea and Arsenal if you really think they're better. You mention Hazard as world class, yet Son has better stats than him this season. I dont exactly see a load of Chelsea players who would get into our first XI? Besides that the most important person is Poch, and as long as the players are being coached by him I consider that enough of an advantage that our team overall is better than Chelseas and Arsenals and we aren't just 'punching'....

I was fine with the selection, it was almost exactly what I posted in the match thread.

People bitch and moan about squad depth, and then bitch and moan when changes are made and the players dont deliver.

There was pace and guile in that team. There was a solid core. There was, 80% of our first choice defence.

Against BRIGHTON. With a semi final at the weekend.

Completely reasonable selection IMO.

I understand people get tinkley when we dont get the result they want, but come on...

Word.

I always liked him when he played in one of the three AM positions behind Soldado when he first started for us....

I would agree, i posted on here a couple of seasons back that Kane would be great as a ( man behind the striker), he has everything to play that posistion and he is very good at it. Since i posted that he has become a top striker so i guess we will not see him play that way very often.

I would agree, i posted on here a couple of seasons back that Kane would be great as a ( man behind the striker), he has everything to play that posistion and he is very good at it. Since i posted that he has become a top striker so i guess we will not see him play that way very often.
Well with the fluidity of our front 4, it doesnt have to be set in stone Kane is the one up front. Would certainly be interested in seeing them mix it up like this more often....

Back