• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It’s definitely about margins, but it’s funny that the more experience our young players (well mostly young) get at this level the more margins we tip in our favour. This is why I’m quite happy and comfortable saying we haven’t yet truly got that winning mentality. Because season on season we are learning, improving our mentality and going through hurdles we’ve previously fallen at and are inching closer and closer to the promised land. We are so close to achieving something special, and I’m not talking about ending a Chelsea hoodoo, not about being top of the league for a calendar year, something quantifiable and truly memorable. No matter what the individuals definition of winning mentality, we all recognise we are mentally strong and the amazing journey we are going on and that’s far more important....

Spot on @harr1984 . Totally agree and it is precisely the point I have been making all along. Indeed, Poch himself could not have summed up my view more clearly yesterday when he said, and I quote, " to develop a winning mentality we need to win at stadiums like this and the Bernabeu, but also to compete in such games. Thats fundamental. Its step by step."

Well said Poch. You have hopefully put this matter firmly to bed. We are on a journey, an amazing journey, but we are not there yet. Step by step.

Two articles by Jonathan Wilson, the first from last Thursday, the second from today.

Tottenham’s quiet evolution slowly nears endgame under Pochettino
A win at Chelsea would go a long way to shutting next season’s Champions League door on London’s hitherto top club
Published: 29 Mar 2018 940

Pochettino used to bow to Chelsea but now Tottenham dictate the terms
The Spurs manager has in the past changed tactics to take account of Chelsea’s gameplan but a shifting balance of power was shown by his refusal to do so on Sunday – and winning
Published: 2 Apr 2018 225

Spot on @harr1984 . Totally agree and it is precisely the point I have been making all along. Indeed, Poch himself could not have summed up my view more clearly yesterday when he said, and I quote, " to develop a winning mentality we need to win at stadiums like this and the Bernabeu, but also to compete in such games. Thats fundamental. Its step by step."

Well said Poch. You have hopefully put this matter firmly to bed. We are on a journey, an amazing journey, but we are not there yet. Step by step.

I think it’s fair to say it’s something that can always be maintained and developed, because it should be a constant effort of reinforcing standards and showing that we can keep learning.

But it’s also fair to say we must have something resembling one right now, or it would certainly be unfair to say we lack one compared to the others in the top 6.

Do we prove we have one, that we are at the end game if we win the FA Cup? Or the League? When do we actually have one vs not having one? The argument then morphs into ‘we need to win a trophy’ but even then, it wouldn’t be over, we’d still need to keep going, because the quest to maintain standards will never end. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t exhibiting the traits of a winning mentality right now.

Chelsea have won the league in two of the last three seasons. Each was followed by a season where they couldn't be bothered. Do they have a winning mentality?

If we win the FA Cup the riposte will be one cup a decade is not proof. If we win the league it will be one title in half a century. The goalposts will always shift.

Far more important is the approach to big games that matters, how do the players respond when there is a setback (e.g. yesterday, at Juve), and general questions like are we getting better, do the players want to get better, etc.

And thankfully, that will probably keep him away form Chelsea too! I was *really* scared of that link...it seemed so realistic!

Poch would be an idiot to go anywhere near Abramovich. As would any manager looking for anything other than a short term job. Idea place for journeyman managers. Quality is very thin on the ground these days.

Last edited:
Poch would be an idiot to go anywhere near Ambramvich. As would any manager looking for anything other than a short term job. Idea place for journeyman managers. Quality is very thin on the ground these days.
TBF you could have said much the same about Levy the way he went through managers before Poch's arrival. Thing is Cheatski have one of the the strongest youth set-ups so that could be a draw.

But you're right, Abramovitch is even less patient than Levy.

Poch would be an idiot to go anywhere near Ambramvich. As would any manager looking for anything other than a short term job. Idea place for journeyman managers. Quality is very thin on the ground these days.

Also, these days, you dont even get to spend the big bucks on talent - you get Drinkwater/Barkley* instead of Hazard / Oscar / Pedro / Willian level buys.

You have big expectations without the tools to achieve them.

*not saying wither are bad players, only that decent players from Leicester and Everton are not the sort of buys Chelsea have gone for over the last decade or so. They went for the big talent and paid big money...

TBF you could have said much the same about Levy the way he went through managers before Poch's arrival. Thing is Cheatski have one of the the strongest youth set-ups so that could be a draw.

But you're right, Abramovitch is even less patient than Levy.

Roman 'didn't' have the same finatiacial restraints that Levy has. Levy has had to kiss a lot frogs to find his prince......Roman had the time and finances to get any manager he wanted practically.

Also, these days, you dont even get to spend the big bucks on talent - you get Drinkwater/Barkley* instead of Hazard / Oscar / Pedro / Willian level buys.

You have big expectations without the tools to achieve them.

*not saying wither are bad players, only that decent players from Leicester and Everton are not the sort of buys Chelsea have gone for over the last decade or so. They went for the big talent and paid big money...

Roman is now just another wealthy owner. There are quite few all vying for the same players. Toby knows this! With allegedly PSG willing match his 5 year £200k pw deal. :confused:

Shawcross may though beat him to it or Cahill ?

I think it’s fair to say it’s something that can always be maintained and developed, because it should be a constant effort of reinforcing standards and showing that we can keep learning.

But it’s also fair to say we must have something resembling one right now, or it would certainly be unfair to say we lack one compared to the others in the top 6.

Do we prove we have one, that we are at the end game if we win the FA Cup? Or the League? When do we actually have one vs not having one? The argument then morphs into ‘we need to win a trophy’ but even then, it wouldn’t be over, we’d still need to keep going, because the quest to maintain standards will never end. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t exhibiting the traits of a winning mentality right now.

“Resembling one” .... “traits of” , yes, but do we actually yet have one?

Let me ask all those that currently believe that we have a “winning mentality”, if say in five years time, we still haven’t actually won anything, will you look back and say, oh yes, that team had a winning mentality?

Let me ask all those that currently believe that we have a “winning mentality”, if say in five years time, we still haven’t actually won anything, will you look back and say, oh yes, that team had a winning mentality?

Don't you dare make me post the horse flogging gif again!

Yes, we do.

Did you not watch the game Sunday?

At which point were you thinking "If only we had a winning mentality"?

Was it when we equalised against the run of the first half?

Was it when we beasted them for the second half?

When we got the second, and then third to put it to bed?

Or maybe when we just settled in and dealt with everything they had to offer?

When were you thinking "Yeah, but .... winning mentality"?

The whole game was a display of it.

And to flip it on its head, lets put it this way. Suppose we win the FA cup:

1) How will we win it without a winning mentality in the first place?
2) What will change when we do?

Back