• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I maintain that for what we paid from Janssen we should have give him more time
Sadly I don’t think Janssen was the answer, Poch is very decisive when it comes to who does or doesn’t make the cut. Llorente certainly hasn’t performed any better but I wonder how much of that is down to him struggling to get to grips with Poch’s system, after all he joined us late in the summer transfer window. Hopefully given a run of games we would see the quality player that we know he can be.

So what is the solution other than play Son up top in the old false 9 gambit? I know Son didn't have his best game today but I think he's a better option than FernandNoGoal
I think we should go with Son for the rest of this season. As I have said in another thread I think this summer we should go for George Hirst from Sheffield Wednesday. He is only just 19 so still very raw, but as well as very good technique and goalscoring he has the build that would enable him to play first team football already.

Sadly I don’t think Janssen was the answer, Poch is very decisive when it comes to who does or doesn’t make the cut. Llorente certainly hasn’t performed any better but I wonder how much of that is down to him struggling to get to grips with Poch’s system, after all he joined us late in the summer transfer window. Hopefully given a run of games we would see the quality player that we know he can be.

Jansenn was playing his third season at a senior level for us last season

To me that’s not a huge amount of experience and still a relatively young player

I’m sure he would have been better than Llorente has been as at least jansenn gets involved in the play

I love Poch and hope he stays for many years to come. Having said that, anyone else see any similarities between him and Wenger? Waits a long time before making subs, stubbornness, reluctance at times to change/adapt tactics depending on the opposition we play, mugging off the cups to a degree, makes strange statements to the press.

I love Poch and hope he stays for many years to come. Having said that, anyone else see any similarities between him and Wenger? Waits a long time before making subs, stubbornness, reluctance at times to change/adapt tactics depending on the opposition we play, mugging off the cups to a degree, makes strange statements to the press.

Aren't some of those common to most managers? Stubbornness and selectivity about competitions certainly are. And say what you like about Wenger, he has never said anything publicly about auras, energy fields or any other sort of woo.

No. None at all. I never felt that Wenger was a great tactician. He was good at bringing young players in allowing them to play freely.

I don't think Poch is stubborn at all, he has played a high number of formations and given games to lots of players. I think our late subs are generally a result of us being on top in games and him trusting the team to score while we are on top.

To me that’s not a huge amount of experience and still a relatively young player

I’m sure he would have been better than Llorente has been as at least jansenn gets involved in the play
That may be so but on what are we basing the judgement he would have been a more worthwhile option than Llorente who is proven quality and could still come good? We are clutching at straws here based on Llorente not being a success so far and a couple of decent but not great cameos from Janssen.

Playing the percentages game I would still bet on Llorente coming good and scoring more goals given a run of games than Janssen.

Clearly Janssen wasn't even impressing Poch outside of games, during training. Poch is ruthless, as he should be but he is also fair, after all he gave Sissoko a chance something that seems incredible to many fans (not me BTW as I actually think Sissoko can be a decent player).

I agree but the thing is we spent money on him, good money and I think the llorente project has proven we should have looked to invest more time in our larger younger investment than paying 10m for a short term replacement that is no better

Second string/backup strikers dont seem to work for many EPL teams. Very strange.

Teams tend to concentrate on their goto guy or a Son type.

Jansenn and Llorente just have not cut it.
Giroud has been the best of the lot.

Second string/backup strikers dont seem to work for many EPL teams. Very strange.

It's not that long since most teams had two strikers and it was much easier for everyone to get minutes: consider the glory days of Keane, Kanoute, Defoe and - er - Mido. These days, being a back-up striker gets you as many opportunities as being a back-up goalie.

For you - and doubtless the vast majority of fans, but not for me for the simple reason we are not competing on a level playing field.

Any Tom, dingdong or sheikh can come along and buy a trophy these days, so what? Big fudging deal.

For domestic cup ties most if not all PL clubs put out what we used to call the stiffs, so that alone dramatically devalues the status of those competitions. They have become mere consolation prizes, nothing more. Not even that if you are a Gooner.

As to the League and the CL, we all know the odds are disproportionately stacked in favour of the doped clubs, so for any of the also-rans to stand a chance they will not only need to be exceptionally good but also hugely fortunate, like Leicester freakishly were a couple of seasons back.

Given that scenario, I remain content to enjoy watching Tottenham performing as well as can be reasonably hoped for. If a trophy comes along in the meantime then fine, but I couldn't give a monkey's if it doesn't, I shall still in future years look back on this era and savour it as one of the most gloriously entertaining since I first became a fan in 1953.

As for describing any lack of a trophy during these distorted times as a failure, you might just well ask why a three-legged horse has never won the Derby?

We're not even slightly a three legged horse. We are the 12th richest club in the world, with the 12th highest wage bill. I know that 5 of those 11 above us are in the league which is why I don't expect regular trophies. But to be ok with no trophies at all, during a time when we have amassed a great squad? I find that such a weird attitude.

And this is why. We have less resources than 5 of the domestic clubs (though more than the 2 clubs that finished above us in the CL last season and then the one that knocked us out of the EL). But we have managed to amass, using those more limited resources, a great squad. As far as fans go on here and Spurs fans in general, I'm perhaps not as bullish, not as hyperbolic about our players. But I read that we have the best striker in the league, if not the world. I see posters saying we have Eriksen, who's on a par with KDB/ Ozil. The best CM in the league. The best defence. The best keeper. How can we have all that and having the same attitude to trophies as Huddersfield might? Now, as it goes, I personally don't agree with much of that. But I do think we have the best cb pairing. The 2nd or 3rd best keeper in the league. Midfield is up there. Kane needs no explanation.

I've mentioned this before on this site. Literally nobody on this forum expects us to be sweeping all before us. Nobody expects us to even be winning trophies necessarily. But through a great bloody job by multiple people, we have assembled a squad that is more talented than the figures spent. Same as Dortmund when they were winning leagues and reaching CL finals. Same as Atletico..when they were winning leagues and reaching CL finals. Same as Monaco..when they won the league and reached the CL semi final last season. We've now finished above every single club in the league at some point in the past few years. I think it is probably fair to say we have better squads than Arsenal and Liverpool. Chelsea and Man Utd are arguable. We finished above Emirates Marketing Project for each of the past 2 seasons. Yet we still persist as if we are a three legged horse? Really?

Listen, like I said, I love the job Poch has done. I love our players. I love watching us play. I'm proud of what we're doing as a club. Even if we don't win a trophy in the next 5 seasons for example, I'll still look back on this period with fondness. But I will also look back on it with a feeling of missed opportunity. That we amassed a squad, above our pay grade so to speak, arguably 3rd best squad in the league (or even more if you're optimistic) and our best one for decades...and didn't manage to pick up any trophy. That would be disappointing for me. Fair enough if for you it wouldn't be, that's a difference of opinion I guess.

No. None at all. I never felt that Wenger was a great tactician. He was good at bringing young players in allowing them to play freely.

I don't think Poch is stubborn at all, he has played a high number of formations and given games to lots of players. I think our late subs are generally a result of us being on top in games and him trusting the team to score while we are on top.
The other thing to consider, is the players state that our conditioning means we finish matches stronger. So why would you substitute players early, when you haven't had the benefit of supposedly their strongest part of the match yet, that you've spent all season perfecting?

It's not that long since most teams had two strikers and it was much easier for everyone to get minutes: consider the glory days of Keane, Kanoute, Defoe and - er - Mido. These days, being a back-up striker gets you as many opportunities as being a back-up goalie.

Yep. More difficult now. It is also more difficult when the striker is of Kane's quality (and you don't have the money to drop on high wages for backup). Kane is so good that it means he plays pretty much every game and stays on for almost the entire match too.

Probably Son or a player like him seems the best we can do with the situation. Someone who can play striker but also gets minutes in the attacking players behind Kane as well.

I think we should go with Son for the rest of this season. As I have said in another thread I think this summer we should go for George Hirst from Sheffield Wednesday. He is only just 19 so still very raw, but as well as very good technique and goalscoring he has the build that would enable him to play first team football already.

He’s obviously bias

But the sheff fan at work says his attitude is terrible.

Teams tend to concentrate on their goto guy or a Son type.

Jansenn and Llorente just have not cut it.
Giroud has been the best of the lot.
Is that because he was first choice a lot

Back