• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I wasn't referring personally to you. I just tried to decrease the feeling of unfairness and unluck which sit in many fans' heads after Swansea game.

I know. :), any one who thought we were unlucky is kidding themselves ( not that i have heard anyone say that though) we did not win because we did not take our chances, simple as that.

Its the modern game ( or so they say) personally i think the whole idea of turning you back on a trophy stinks ( imo).

I dont think thats what he is doing.

I think there is a difference between stating priorities and stating a total disinterest in a competition.

No professional wants to lose. Ill wager the club WANT to win the cup, collectively, I think he is just saying in the grander scheme there are competitions we think are more important.

And that I cant really argue with.

I thought there were a few occassions where he gave it to Sissoko and then instead of continuing down the line, as he had an opportunity to do to attempt to get beyond them, he instead checked and stayed back to receive the ball. Additionally his starting position always also seemed to be about 10 yards deeper than Son's. It meant that he wasn't stretching the opposition's defence enough and therefore not really creating any gaps centrally for us to play through.

I thought Trippier was our worst player on Saturday. He had absolutely no defending to do at all and yet made zero positive impact in our attacking game. Dier was probably next worst on the pitch, but that was more the fact that there was no real need for a player of his type to be out there.
Interesting because it also seemed that colleagues were avoiding passing to him when it looked like he was the most obvious option. I found it puzzling to the point I began to wonder whether there was something more significant going on.

What does seem clear is he has lost that brilliance he was showing towards the end of last season when he was regularly creating chances with defence-splitting passes and pinpoint crosses.

Interesting because it also seemed that colleagues were avoiding passing to him when it looked like he was the most obvious option. I found it puzzling to the point I began to wonder whether there was something more significant going on.

What does seem clear is he has lost that brilliance he was showing towards the end of last season when he was regularly creating chances with defence-splitting passes and pinpoint crosses.

When Trippier played last season was it in a 4231 or 3421? As if he plays full back, in a 4, and we're dominating he still gets to push on as much as he likes but also has someone ahead of him (in the 3 behind Kane) occupying/distracting the LB of the opposition......creating the time and space for him to line up those pearlers he swings in. Could be worth a look.

Alternatively he could realise he has got his chance and is fluffing his lines.

I am really pleased that we have a manager who has his own target of winning the league.

My thoughts here are that Cup wins at the expense of top 4 finishes do not move the club forward. They are great moments for us fans, but do not necessarily equate to continued success. However a team who have multiple seasons challenging at the top of the league and going into the latter stages of the CL will receive sustained large revenues and sponsorships that allow a bigger and better squad, which then allows the club to challenge across more competitions.

Hopefully Poch has a long term view for us. If he a achieves the first part of his ambitions then the rest will naturally follow IMO.

Fair enough, but I don't think you should make those views public.

I am all for playing a weaker team if we are in a position to win the league in Jan/Feb but we should still be in them to make that choice.

Fair enough, but I don't think you should make those views public.

I am all for playing a weaker team if we are in a position to win the league in Jan/Feb but we should still be in them to make that choice.
This is the lowest of our priorities.... I think tonight's attendance will show the fans feel the same way as the manager.

Last edited:
I thought that Aurier showed exactly what we were missing in the short time that he was on. In games where the opposition are playing with 3 centre halves and two VERY deep wing backs

This is the lowest of our priorities.... I tbink tonight's attendance will ahow the fans feel the same way as the manager.
Agree on both counts.

When Trippier played last season was it in a 4231 or 3421? As if he plays full back, in a 4, and we're dominating he still gets to push on as much as he likes but also has someone ahead of him (in the 3 behind Kane) occupying/distracting the LB of the opposition......creating the time and space for him to line up those pearlers he swings in. Could be worth a look.

Alternatively he could realise he has got his chance and is fluffing his lines.
Don't recall the formations but for me it's all about loss of form.

I dont think thats what he is doing.

I think there is a difference between stating priorities and stating a total disinterest in a competition.

No professional wants to lose. Ill wager the club WANT to win the cup, collectively, I think he is just saying in the grander scheme there are competitions we think are more important.

And that I cant really argue with.

there is no need for him to make that public though. Publically he should say every competition is important and if he makes changes its because he has faith in his whole squad and wants to give everyone some games.

also the Wigan comment was embarrassing tbh.

Making it public manages expectations. Nothing wrong with that.

If we make a lot of changes and its hard work tonight then its already been explained. Chances are more fans are going to be understanding with it instead of getting on the teams back. Everyone knows whats going on, which is pretty decent management.

As to Wigan, I think he is just saying its not really a game changer to win it. This is in a conversation where he directly references winning the league and/or champions league. Im not a big fan of name dropping other clubs, but the context is there.

What odd comments from Poch re trophies; no matter how right or wrong we may think he is, it was totally unnecessary to actually SAY it...

Bizarre comment from poch. Is he comparing us to Wigan and thinks if we win the cup we will eventually drop into league one.

I would love us to win the league or fa cup this season with a top 4 finish, rather than finishing second and no cup.

Anyway he has enough credit in the bank for most to bypass this lapse

Dier was probably next worst on the pitch, but that was more the fact that there was no real need for a player of his type to be out there.
The kind of player through which we focus much of our passing (and ends up with an excellent success rate)?

d_passing.png

Or the kind of player that presses high up the pitch to win the ball?

d_tackles.png

Don't recall the formations but for me it's all about loss of form.

Psychology can be a bugger sometimes.

2nd choice, hunting Walker, given a chance and really determined to show what he can do.....nothing to lose.

then 1st choice, the shirt is his, then along comes Aurier, now he's being hunted, gets a bit flaky and unsure of himself.

Pure speculation........of course :)

I think it's wrong to put all our eggs in two baskets, and ignore the other two cups, since the 50's we've won trophies in every decade, but we're running out of years this decade! The league cup is 6 games, the fa cup also 6 games with a kind draw (like last season up to the semi) theres a good chance of glory.

1950's 1 trophy (division one title)
1960s 5 trophies (1 division one title, 1 cup winners cup & 3 FA Cups)
1970s 3 trophies (2 League cups & 1 UEFA Cup)
1980s 3 Trophies (2 FA Cups & 1 UEFA CUP)
1990s 2 Trophies (1 FA Cup & 1 League cup)
2000s 1 Trophy (1 League Cup)
2010s Nothing as of yet!

It might not be a bad year to go for a cup considering the finals and in the case of the FA cup, semi-finals, get played at our home ground.

Question: If historically the fa semis get played on a 'neutral ground' will there be complaints if we're still in it then.??

It might not be a bad year to go for a cup considering the finals and in the case of the FA cup, semi-finals, get played at our home ground.

Question: If historically the fa semis get played on a 'neutral ground' will there be complaints if we're still in it then.??

I think its more that they get played at wembley because the FA need the money than it being a neutral ground

Back