• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Yes that can happen but equally it can go painfully the other way. Of course we'd all much rather forget what happened after our magnificent LC win in 2008 but you oblige me to bring it up yet again. Because our slump in form after that win ended up with the sack for Ramos eight months later following a desperate run that yielded just three wins from our next 22 PL games, including the infamous two points in eight games at the start of the following season. :eek:

Here's a few more examples of cup runs that did not work out well in the League:

Wigan Athletic- FA Cup winners and relegation 2012/13 :eek:
Birmingham City - LC winners & relegation 2010/11 (after winning just two of their remaining 12 PL games) :eek:
Portsmouth - FA Cup finalists and relegation 2009/10 :eek:
Indeed, the curse of the Littlewoods / Rumbelows / Coca-Cola / Worthington / Capital One / Carabao Cup!

Hopefully Pochettino succeeds in turning us into a club that wins major trophies again; rather than having to settle for this Consolation Cup, like back in the dark times when finishing in the top half of the table was considered a decent campaign.

Yes that can happen but equally it can go painfully the other way. Of course we'd all much rather forget what happened after our magnificent LC win in 2008 but you oblige me to bring it up yet again. Because our slump in form after that win ended up with the sack for Ramos eight months later following a desperate run that yielded just three wins from our next 22 PL games, including the infamous two points in eight games at the start of the following season. :eek:

Here's a few more examples of cup runs that did not work out well in the League:

Birmingham City - LC winners & relegation 2010/11 (after winning just two of their remaining 12 PL games) :eek:

I am not going around the houses again with you over this :D, but i will say that team under Ramos was not in the same class as the one we have now so to try and compere what would happen with our team now is foolish to say the least. As for the other teams again i would point out to you ( although i am pretty sure you know and just being flippant) that they are not in the same posistion as our team is now.

I am not going around the houses again with you over this :D, but i will say that team under Ramos was not in the same class as the one we have now so to try and compere what would happen with our team now is foolish to say the least. As for the other teams again i would point out to you ( although i am pretty sure you know and just being flippant) that they are not in the same posistion as our team is now.
Okay lets set those examples apart for now and get straight to the point.

Are you saying that Poch's stated approach this season to prioritise the Premier League and the CL over the domestic cups is wrong??

First of all picking three teams that were already in a relegation scrap is not the same conversation on this occasion. We are not in the 90's.

We did have a slump after the CC cup but with a CB pairing of King and Woody how did we expect the squad to kick on? It was more understandable than what we have in the locker these days, dont you agree?

Cant see Poch allowing the team to just not turn up after a Cup win.

Are you saying that Poch's stated approach this season to prioritise the Premier League and the CL over the domestic cups is wrong??

No but to dismiss those cups as irrelevant is under estimating what that mentality can bring to us as a collective team. At the very least certain media men can pipe up (but obviously not even a footballing reason)

Teams win multiple honors over a period of time because they're great teams, not because they won the first and then had some kind of magical ability to win more bestowed upon them.

Simple as that really

Who is to say Spurs are not a great team? And were the teams which you are talking about great before they won their first or got greater with the knowledge and belief that they were good enough to win something?

Simple as that really.

I do not remember saying that at all. But as i have said before we are not going to agree over the this and its pointless you and me going around the houses once again. Especially if you keep using examples like you did earlier.

Who is to say Spurs are not a great team? And were the teams which you are talking about great before they won their first or got greater with the knowledge and belief that they were good enough to win something?

Simple as that really.

We are a great team and if the team and management stay together long enough then they'll consistently win trophies here.

All of them, literally every single team that has ever dominated a league and won trophies over many years, they all done so because of their quality, not because they won that first trophy and unlocked some kind of special trophy winning formula

I do not remember saying that at all. But as i have said before we are not going to agree over the this and its pointless you and me going around the houses once again. Especially if you keep using examples like you did earlier.
I would respectfully point out that it was you who took issue with me in posts above over this whole issue of 'aiming high' and going for any kind of trophy.

Okay fine, you are right, it's best to leave it but it does feel a bit like you want permission to freely put your point across without having it challenged in any way.

That is all.

We are a great team and if the team and management stay together long enough then they'll consistently win trophies here.

All of them, literally every single team that has ever dominated a league and won trophies over many years, they all done so because of their quality, not because they won that first trophy and unlocked some kind of special trophy winning formula

Well we will have to agree to disagree ( again) :D

I would respectfully point out that it was you who took issue with me in posts above over this whole issue of 'aiming high' and going for any kind of trophy.

Okay fine, you are right, it's best to leave it but it does feel a bit like you want permission to freely put your point across without having it challenged in any way.

That is all.

The only " issue" (your words not mine) i had with your post was with the first one above. There is absolutely no comparison to our situation now and then and as for using the other three teams as examples well is as i said is foolish at best.

I know we disagree over this and always will but as for wanting to put my opinion across without it being challenged ( talk about the kettle pot, pot kettle) that statement is even more foolish. We disagree, no big deal and we are both entitled to our opinions.

That IS all.

Disappointed with Poch today. Should learn to see out games. Players coming in at the 87th minute or later is pointless..and we should learn to see out games. Especially when we know that Kane doesn't score in august and trippier isn't fully fit. Nothing wrong with 4 or 5 at the back or sitting deep when we can?

Sent from my iPad using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Disappointed with Poch today. Should learn to see out games. Players coming in at the 87th minute or later is pointless..and we should learn to see out games. Especially when we know that Kane doesn't score in august and trippier isn't fully fit. Nothing wrong with 4 or 5 at the back or sitting deep when we can?

Sent from my iPad using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We have been one of the best at seeing out games for the last two years. I really don't think this was Poch today. He can justifiably expect more from the players who badly let him down.

We can always say with hindsight he should have done this or that, but it is Burnley at home and everything he did today he would have done for the last 3 years. It all made fine sense - the players were terrible today in the last 20.

I think Poch genuinely thought that the size of the Wembley pitch wouldn't be that much of an issue, we could get used to it through training/coaching and continue with similar strategy/tactics to last season.
But he probably hadn't watched various England teams appear to have the energy drained out of them over 90 minutes as they played at Wembley.
So I suspect (and hope) he is questioning that belief as I type this.

I think Poch genuinely thought that the size of the Wembley pitch wouldn't be that much of an issue, we could get used to it through training/coaching and continue with similar strategy/tactics to last season.
But he probably hadn't watched various England teams appear to have the energy drained out of them over 90 minutes as they played at Wembley.
So I suspect (and hope) he is questioning that belief as I type this.

I don't think that it is anything to do with playing at Wembley. We have been slow starters every season under Poch.

Back