• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I read it as him trying to explain how hard it is to sign a quality player when you have established quality players.

As I've said in the transfer thread, the pool of players that are available, will improve us, and want to come, is pretty small.
I also read it as him saying that everyone else around us has splashed cash big time and if they don't start strong they have not excuse.

I honestly think we aren't looking for players that will definitely improve us this season.
If they do it's a bonus, but it looks to me like poch is planing for the season after and beyond.
Bring in players he can adapt over the next year to kick on next season.

That was pretty much the take from one of the Spurs beat journalists (can't remember which one) shortly after the end of the season, who reported that the word from the club was we would be concentrating on recruiting young players with potential. Time will tell whether that is the plan - personally as much as I love the theory, I think we need a bit more than that

That was pretty much the take from one of the Spurs beat journalists (can't remember which one) shortly after the end of the season, who reported that the word from the club was we would be concentrating on recruiting young players with potential. Time will tell whether that is the plan - personally as much as I love the theory, I think we need a bit more than that

With the stadium move this season and next There's to many variables. It would make sense to consolidate and groom a young squad to peak in 12 to 18 months time.

Wouldn't surprise me if our inactivity in the transfer market, and associated lack of ambition, was what caused Pochettino to ultimately move on.

We are showing zero ambition. We achieved great results over the last couple of seasons but instead of moving forward, we seem happy to stagnate. The reality of football now is that big fees are involved with transfers. Refuse to accept that and you're refusing to deal with modern football.

Financially, we are sensible, we refuse to be pushed in to crazy deals..but..we've had 7+ months to set up our transfer deals, and nothing has happened. If we don't act, fall outside of the top 4 again, lose our manager and key players, then we will fall further backwards. Perhaps this is deemed to be hysteria, especially as I have said that we have a team with the quality to win the title. But, the longer we fail to act, the less these thoughts will be those of hysteria.

Wouldn't surprise me if our inactivity in the transfer market, and associated lack of ambition, was what caused Pochettino to ultimately move on.

We are showing zero ambition. We achieved great results over the last couple of seasons but instead of moving forward, we seem happy to stagnate. The reality of football now is that big fees are involved with transfers. Refuse to accept that and you're refusing to deal with modern football.

Financially, we are sensible, we refuse to be pushed in to crazy deals..but..we've had 7+ months to set up our transfer deals, and nothing has happened. If we don't act, fall outside of the top 4 again, lose our manager and key players, then we will fall further backwards. Perhaps this is deemed to be hysteria, especially as I have said that we have a team with the quality to win the title. But, the longer we fail to act, the less these thoughts will be those of hysteria.

Don't worry......it'll always be considered hysteria.

As long as the two main men see eye to eye, that's all that matters.

You've committed to every home game next season.....and paid a high price for it. Just to witness a dying animal. What a tragedy (or is it a fallacy?).

No one has improved, bar City with Bernardo Silva and Walker.

It's just expensive churn of mediocre players.

Poch is the exact opposite to a chequebook manager. If anything I imagine he's delighted at having a full pre-season with a settled squad and no international tournament interference.

So if we don't buy any players, fail to improve our squad, then we will be in a good place? Then suffer injuries, not have the back ups as we've not been buying. Then finish outside the top 4, when we had a good chance to challenge for the title again, it would be a good place to be in?

Don't worry......it'll always be considered hysteria.

As long as the two main men see eye to eye, that's all that matters.

You've committed to every home game next season.....and paid a high price for it. Just to witness a dying animal. What a tragedy (or is it a fallacy?).

I'm pleased to have a season ticket. Whatever the fate of the club, I'll always be a supporter. The club is in my heart and is a huge part of my life. But I just think a bit of transfer activity, and showing ambition in terms of transfers, might not be a bad thing.

The new stadium looks incredible. We are very much moving forward as a club but we should have ambition in all areas, especially as Levy reportedly said that the new stadium would not impact upon our transfer activity; which appears to be shallow words at this stage.

So if we don't buy any players, fail to improve our squad, then we will be in a good place? Then suffer injuries, not have the back ups as we've not been buying. Then finish outside the top 4, when we had a good chance to challenge for the title again, it would be a good place to be in?

So how has that changed since last season?

I'm pleased to have a season ticket. Whatever the fate of the club, I'll always be a supporter. The club is in my heart and is a huge part of my life. But I just think a bit of transfer activity, and showing ambition in terms of transfers, might not be a bad thing.

The new stadium looks incredible. We are very much moving forward as a club but we should have ambition in all areas, especially as Levy reportedly said that the new stadium would not impact upon our transfer activity; which appears to be shallow words at this stage.
Just give waiting a go.

We will get injuries, we did last year and we will this year. I trust us to improve as a team even if we get less points.

Well you are right about that at least.

No one has improved, bar City with Bernardo Silva and Walker.

It's just expensive churn of mediocre players.

You don't think Man U have improved by adding a CB, CM and CF? And are you deliberately ignoring Mendy at Man C? And their new keeper?

Arse have added Lacazette and a left back. Cheatski have replaced Terry with someone who will play, upgraded Matic and will replace Costa with Morata.

Liverpool have added Salah.

Are these all deliberate ommissions? Three of these teams will also have a full pre-season with their manager for the first time and will start next season in a more settled place than last year.

Poch is the exact opposite to a chequebook manager. If anything I imagine he's delighted at having a full pre-season with a settled squad and no international tournament interference.

Again, are you deliberately ignoring his comments from a couple days ago saying that we needed to bring players in?

I agree with your general concern, though we are financially constrained.

One counter-argument is that we're waiting for froth to come out of the market before moving however there's zero sign of that happening and, as you say, its not as if we didn't know that the transfer window was coming. I'm fully expecting us to start the new season without the additions which we need

Is it really beyond imagination that what is going on is what Pochettino wants?

Levy has shown considerable ambition in the way he has trusted Pochettino. Just like he's trusted previous managers. Look at the difference between our transfer strategy now compared to Redknapp. Is it just a coincidence? I think that is a very clear sign that the approach of the manager gets backed by Levy. As long as there is trust there from Levy at least.

Pochettino has been allowed to discard whoever he wanted to, including several fan favorites. He's been allowed to sign players that fit his style of play and even sign some fairly expensive players like Son and Sissoko. He's been allowed to do exactly what he excelled at at Southampton and Espanyol. Exactly what he was signed to do when we signed him. He seems to be working in a way he enjoys. There doesn't seem to be any top-down pressure on him on who to sign, who to keep, who to sell beyond the financial restrictions we live under. That freedom is often missing at bigger clubs with more money to spend.

So far he's been linked to Barcelona, PSG and the Argentina job whilst here. At least. And we've seen nothing to indicate that he's trying to angle for a move to a bigger job. We might very well lose him at some point to a bigger job, but that risk will always be there. Right now we seem like a very good place for him though. And I don't think the Levy-Poch working relationship is so fragile that a single big money signing is going to make the difference. If it's that fragile it's doomed anyway imo.

Finally with the new stadium, growing stature of the club and fantastic young talent at the club already we're on a very good trajectory. A trajectory where Levy can realistically offer Pochettino more money to spend in the future.

We can only have 25 players. If we can't find a 6th AM better than GKN/Edwards/Sissoko, who will accept our wages and being 6th AM, then so be it. A good 70% of signings flop anyway.

We have the youngest squad in Europe and they will improve through organic growth. Onomah, Edwards and KWP should be playing more of a role this year.

Injuries happen, but we've got a very versatile squad and haven't really been short at any point over the last two seasons.

You don't think Man U have improved by adding a CB, CM and CF? And are you deliberately ignoring Mendy at Man C? And their new keeper?

Arse have added Lacazette and a left back. Cheatski have replaced Terry with someone who will play, upgraded Matic and will replace Costa with Morata.

Are these all deliberate ommissions? Three of these teams will also have a full pre-season with their manager for the first time and will start next season in a more settled place than last year.

Again, are you deliberately ignoring his comments from a couple days ago saying that we needed to bring players in?

I'll give you Mendy, but Salah is crap, Morata is no where near as good as Costa, United are still weak across the board and Lacazette is no Sanchez.

We do need to replace Walker and Sissoko, of course. But that won't affect our starting 11 for a couple of months

Have united brought anyone better than they had??? I don't think so

Chelsea haven't IMO unless the new signings all turn out to be world class as their replacing proven players of high quality

Salah is a good signing but it's hardly an area of weakness for them. The left back could. E a good signing though and make them trigger arguably

City have strengthened but still need a centre back or two as they have less then us there

Arse have signed some decent players but their one true star looks set to leave and will leave a gaping whole!!!

Back