• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Watch all the CL games and then the EL games. My thoughts are simple. Pochettino has been tactically outclassed in Europe this season. He has a lot to learn. It is not just motivation.

Based on what?
Come back up this nonsense with any bit of analysis.

Our problem in Europe is always motivation not tactics.

I'll defend @afsoc4life here and disagree - I don't think it was about motivation, at least apart from Gent away. Our lads surely, *surely* had to be motivated playing in the CL against premier opposition, and yet Leverkusen and Monaco both took us to the cleaners - Monaco twice, Leverkusen once with an (unlucky) draw in the other game. We looked like rabbits in the headlights for all four of those games.

Maybe Schmidt and Jardim did get the better of Poch - it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case, because both have managed in the CL before, unlike Poch. Or maybe it was just Toby's absence, I dunno (although Toby did play in that opener at Wembley).

Watch all the CL games and then the EL games. My thoughts are simple. Pochettino has been tactically outclassed in Europe this season. He has a lot to learn. It is not just motivation.
agree with this 110%
sometimes its not always the palyer's faults.
i think poch will be a great coach someday, but he isn't one now, not just yet.

Disagree mate.
In fact, if we watch back all the home games particularly, we created so many chances it was absurd we didn't score more goals. We missed some right sitters! I think when that happens, anxiety settles in...

This, people can moan about the result, but based on chances, possession, control of game, we should have had enough to win.

The sending off really cost us that match, nothing more ...

The sending off obviously did not help us, however the number of chances we wasted was the main reason ( imo) and its a problem we have had in a lot of games this season.

agree with this 110%
sometimes its not always the palyer's faults.
i think poch will be a great coach someday, but he isn't one now, not just yet.
Indeed. Poch is growing and developing in the same way our players are. Just like our players if he was the finished article then he wouldn't be here, hed be at Real Madrid or somewhere alike.
That's the beauty and uniqueness of this squad - from the manager down everyone (bar a couple of already established stars) is developing and growing, pretty much all with the potential to be a top bracket player in their position. But the top clubs tend not to take such players (or manager) until they've achieved that top level, and if the majority of players and manager end up reaching such a level with us collectively then we will be one hell of a team and wouldn't have to lose our top players as they would be achieving success here. In theory at least....

Alright, so the rumours have started.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...next-boss-and-are-fans-of-mauricio-pochettino

Now, to be fair, that article is by Guillem Balague...who, hilariously, quotes himself in said article ("Barcelona have already started the search for Luis Enrique's replacement and are "big fans" of Mauricio Pochettino's work, says Guillem Balague") and never once uses the first-person. Maybe it's an intern or an article bot.

But hey, maybe there's a grain of truth in it nonetheless.

It's unlikely, in my view - he seems settled here for now, and Poch has ties to Espanyol, not Barca - I doubt he'd ever be forgiven at Cornella-El Prat if he made the move. But it's not out of the bounds of possibility.

Either way, If he goes, he goes - but ultimately, the hardest job on our hands will be keeping the players he developed here once he leaves, because it's very likely that their loyalties to him will outweigh their loyalty to the club (only natural - look at Schneiderlin and Rodriguez's tantrums in 2014 when we were in for them). In terms of future managers, I'm sure we could find another dynasty-builder in a similar mould to Poch with a similar playing philosophy (Tuchel, perhaps, who's reportedly quite unhappy with his role at Dortmund - or Nagelsmann, of Hoffenheim, apparently one of Europe's most promising young managers and only 29 to boot). But it would be a tougher task to convince the likes of Alli, Eriksen, Toby, Rose and co. that the new man will be as suited to their continued development and comfort than Poch would be..especially if, when he *eventually* leaves, he comes back equipped with the warchest of some megaclub (Barca, Madrid, PSG, Bayern et al) to call upon.

Hopefully it's not a prospect we have to face for a while (and Balague's article is likely just anal wind - more likely Sampaoli or someone than Poch at this moment in time). But it's wise to keep our wits about us in terms of our strategy in the event of that possibility coming to pass.

Last edited:
Also, even though it's likely that this is crap, I'd still like Poch to come out and clear it up before the media starts running with it. Back in 2011-2012, the 'Harry for England' bullsh*t did mess with the players' heads - Walker, our only holdover from that era (I think I'm right in saying) confirmed as much a few years ago. That might be doubled for the current crop, given their relative youth and greater reliance on Poch for tactical and developmental instructions (relative to Harry and the relationship with his players, anyway).

And I'm sure no matter how many times he comes out saying so, the gossip press will still keep printing BS stories about his imminent departure - until Barca have appointed a new manager.

And some fans will want a personal letter from him saying he will not go there before they stop worrying. ;)

And have a happy Birthday boss.

Also, even though it's likely that this is crap, I'd still like Poch to come out and clear it up.
I don't generally read your 10,000 word diatribes / theses / monologues / other posh words but... Poch ruled this out months ago, you plum. It's only you propagating it, on here.

I don't generally read your 10,000 word diatribes / theses / monologues / other posh words but... Poch ruled this out months ago, you plum. It's only you propagating it, on here.

Uh-huh. Tell you what, you 'propagate'...whatever it is you post about here, and I'll equally 'propagate' what I feel is relevant, as the prospect of Poch leaving one day undoubtedly is. He might have said something about a 'bull on the arm' a while ago (I think it was), but Barca is Barca, and the temptation must be strong for any manager - especially one like Poch.

Also, fine - you don't want to read my usually lengthy posts, that's your prerogative. My perspective is that everyone's welcome to my opinion, which I strive to make as comprehensive and reasoned as possible. But some people don't want to hear it for various reasons, and I'm fine with that - the world's too big and beautiful for me to bother getting flustered about such things. ;)

Just know that I'm really unable to respond to whatever you have to say very constructively or informatively, because you're unaware of my positions on most things (given your reluctance to read) and I can't determine your own positions given that a lot of your posts seem just uselessly flippant to me.

I remember watching the first leg at Leverkusen and the only reason we lost that was that Alli and other's couldn't hit the back of the net. There were so many glaring misses in that game, but that has happened a lot in both Europe and in the league. Had our finishing been clinical enough we'd have picked up more than enough points. Hopefully it was a learning curve for Poch and the player's one that we can build on.

At the same time though, I personally don't think we create enough top draw chances, we still lack that little bit of guile to unlock the defences that sit back. Even the 4-0 this weekend was a bit of a one man show, we didn't really open them up too often.

Spanish press are only talking about two potential managers... Ernesto Valverde fro Athletico Bilbao and Jorge Sampaoli from Sevilla. Not a sausage (or chorizo) about Koeman, Poch or Wenger! Balague talking cobblers again
I think Koeman would be higher up the list than Poch anyway because of his history.

Back