• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Would people agree that there is a greater willingness in the team to commit 'professional fouls' to prevent clear goalscoring opportunities under Poch?

I agree. And sometimes they are 'proffesional fouls' ie our player calculates the yellow card outweighs the impending doom!

Plus has everyone noticed the virtual elimination of brain farts or colossal f*ck ups. I think the sheer togetherness and understanding of each others game helps massively with this.

Oh and add to this that i cannot remember the last time there was a cross word between two of our players. total support of each other

Naturally his routine is to come and read the OMT on here on match day so i would like to wish him Happy Birthday.Enjoy Guv

And Toby's birthday too....! Let's not forget he is probably the best signing we've made in recent years.. so happy birthday Toby and if he wants a cake I will gladly buy whatever he wants!

This is just so indicative of the confidence which with the team is playing. If the manager has confidence in their ability to take risks and win, then the players will have that same belief. As fans we need to applaud the risky things that don't quite come off, because when they do, the reward will be all the greater.
I'm sure I've heard something like that before. Audere something something. Audere est factory. Yeah, that was it.

I think that part of our game plan is to disrupt the opponents play and not allow them to settle on the ball. This is primarily done through the press but I also think that we are quite happy to commit petty fouls in non-threatening parts of the pitch in order to do this. Breaking up play like this also gives us an opportunity to reset and take breathers. I am not for a moment suggesting that Poch is deploying Pullis style tactics.

In short, I think that our play has become a little more Argentinian.

Would absolutely agree with that. I'm fine with it too.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/01/spurs-tottenham-pochettino-mauricio-west-ham

One by one, the Tottenham Hotspur players came across to shake Daniel Levy by the hand. The club’s chairman was bemused, to the point where he turned to Mauricio Pochettino and asked him whether it was a new rule he had implemented. The manager smiled. It had started out as a rule but now it was simply habit.

“When I came to the club, maybe there were rules [put in place],” Pochettino said. “For example, every morning, we shake hands with everybody. It was to show respect for each other; to show how you feel each morning when you meet.

“It is a small thing but it means a lot to create a real team. It shows you are interested in the people with whom you shake hands.
Is this guy for fudging real?!!

Huge man-crush.

Would people agree that there is a greater willingness in the team to commit 'professional fouls' to prevent clear goalscoring opportunities under Poch?

I think that part of our game plan is to disrupt the opponents play and not allow them to settle on the ball. This is primarily done through the press but I also think that we are quite happy to commit petty fouls in non-threatening parts of the pitch in order to do this. Breaking up play like this also gives us an opportunity to reset and take breathers. I am not for a moment suggesting that Poch is deploying Pullis style tactics.

In short, I think that our play has become a little more Argentinian.
Agree with this. And i would say stopping the opponent before they launch the counter attack actually ease and help the full backs , especially Walker and Rose as the opponents are always looking for a chance to explode the space on the flanks when our full back get forward.

Lots of shots in last night's coverage of Poch on the touchline.

And I have to say it's the first time I've seen him looking nervous/worried/under pressure. Probably because nothing seemed to be working and he'd run out of ideas. West Ham did play well though.

Usually he has an air of confidence (sometimes accompanied by anger/frustration) and in control.

This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Lots of shots in last night's coverage of Poch on the touchline.

And I have to say it's the first time I've seen him looking nervous/worried/under pressure. Probably because nothing seemed to be working and he'd run out of ideas. West Ham did play well though.

Usually he has an air of confidence (sometimes accompanied by anger/frustration) and in control.

This is not a criticism, just an observation.

He actually looks dot me as though he knew that this was coming - a game where we wouldn't turn up and he had no control over it

He also looked tinkled off an frustrated

Oh i agree with that 100%

Just noticed a different look i hadn't seen before......maybe it's because we f*cked up his birthday!

There has to be tension, as much as he talks down title questions from the media etc. he is an intelligent guy, when he can see things not going our way on the pitch its natural for it to be visible in his body language etc.

We have bounced back strongly from all of our defeats this season, i think potentially this could be a pivotal one, the belief and lift the players would get from winning Saturday to drive them forward.

He actually looks dot me as though he knew that this was coming - a game where we wouldn't turn up and he had no control over it

He also looked tinkleed off an frustrated
To be honest I'm not sure that many teams would've coped with West Ham in the first half yesterday. They came out like men possessed. That was the most energy and physicality that I have seen from an opponent for a long while. To come away with something yesterday it was important that we didn't give them anything easy/silly early on so that we could make our superior skill count later in the game as their energy levels dropped off (as it would be impossible to maintain the physicality they showed in the first half for an entire game).

Conceding from a corner was criminal. Chadli was incredibly poor in losing his man and Lloris didn't cover himself in glory at the near post either.

Also towards the end of the game when West Ham tired and we had more time on the ball, we didn't have the guile to unlock their defence. I thought Pochettino got it a little wrong here with his starting team and his subs.... I would've preferred to see Chadli coming on from the bench in the last 30 minutes or so, as he has that knack of getting a goal against tiring legs as there is more space to exploit. I also thought that Lamela was growing into the game in the second half and taking him off was the wrong decision, Son came on and was pretty much anonymous. In the last 30 minutes of that game I would've liked to have seen Chadli, Lamela and Alli all high up the pitch trying to make something happen (and two of these having fresh legs). Eriksen could've dropped back into Mason's position to dictate play with more time on the ball due to West Ham dropping off.

If we needed to drop Dier back into defence because we were concerned about Wimmer being sent off (or perhaps concerned about Carroll's physical presence?) then Bentaleb could've come on at the base of the midfield to give a platform allowing the others to attack.

Anyway - this and Chelsea were our two remaining games that I was most worried about. West Ham are a good, physical, powerful team and with the dual motivation of this being their final game against us before moving to the Athletics stadium and their usual "Spurs is our Cup final" mentality I didn't fancy us to take 3 points from this game, especially with them having had an extra day to recover since their last fixture. I thought we would do well to come away with a point, if we had defended the set piece properly then I think we would've done so.

On Sunday we need to come out against Arsenal in exactly the same way as West Ham came out against us last night. I hope that Pochettino uses last night's game as a lesson to our players. Somebody else wrote that this was more a 'smack in the face' than 'a black eye' and I agree. Let's hope we use the motivation of that smack in the face to inflict a black eye on Arsenal this weekend.

On Sunday we need to come out against Arsenal in exactly the same way as West Ham came out against us last night. I hope that Pochettino uses last night's game as a lesson to our players. Somebody else wrote that this was more a 'smack in the face' than 'a black eye' and I agree. Let's hope we use the motivation of that smack in the face to inflict a black eye on Arsenal this weekend.

Whatever you do dont turn up at the lane on Sunday.

I stand by my comments that you can't play chadli against teams that fight and have a go. He is a pussy when it comes to the physical stuff. He is great against them off the bench when their tired as he can score goals but he doesn't do any defensive work. Saying that it's not something Son revels in but at least he tracks back and covers

I also think we got the order of the full backs wrong for this game - but I think rose and walker are neede for Arse so it was a calculated decision and wimmer and Davies have both been very good

Our problem was no ball carrier form midfield to take the ball to their make shift defence. We can miss Dembele when we have Alli playing but we can't lose both against these sorts of sides

Back