• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I was a big critic of him last season, didn't impress me at all. Early days but fudge me I really fo feel we have an absolute duffer. How alli getting no minutes? Our midfield is atrocious. How come our front 4 had no fudging clue where to be or what they were doing for the second half? Why were we playing long ball football to no striker for the last 30?

I'll forgive him for Kane, he had a knock, but the telling thing is I wasn't surprised if he did do it. Awful decisions all last season... I really want him to come good, plenty of time to go, but I just don't see anything impressive about him.

As for no striker and no midfielder purchases... I dint know who's fault that is.... The lack of midfield rumours terrifies me thinking poch is happy with what he has.

I was a big critic of him last season, didn't impress me at all. Early days but fudge me I really fo feel we have an absolute duffer. How alli getting no minutes? Our midfield is atrocious. How come our front 4 had no fudgeing clue where to be or what they were doing for the second half? Why were we playing long ball football to no striker for the last 30?

I'll forgive him for Kane, he had a knock, but the telling thing is I wasn't surprised if he did do it. Awful decisions all last season... I really want him to come good, plenty of time to go, but I just don't see anything impressive about him.

As for no striker and no midfielder purchases... I dint know who's fault that is.... The lack of midfield rumours terrifies me thinking poch is happy with what he has.
Good thing he hauled off Mason before he did any lasting damage. ;)

Going to answer in bold with you mate, as you are someone I always enjoy 'discussion' with...

Saw the game mate

- We set up well initially, probably unlucky not to be 3 up at half time
- Hughes made changes, Poch failed to counter effectively and actually made it worse by bringing on one player out of form, and a second who consistently fails to deliver.

He had to protect Mason. Simple really. The bloke did not have a full pre-season. I think the sub that really hurt us, was taking Kane off (again, had to do it, protect him - ice on calf as you will have seen) and having no striker to put on and worse, having neither Dembele, Chadli or Lamela capable of filling that role for 25 minutes. For me, one true striker on the pitch and we win. Maybe 3-1.

- 2 games in 2015 we have managed to keep a clean sheet at home .. simply not good enough ...

The moment you lost that presence up-top, you will be under it. I would say, in fact, that IF we view this as a long-term project, today was another tip of the hat towards the director's box, specifically our chairman who will have received the message that the manager wants a couple more to supplement the squad he is building.

Number of areas you could show Poch fudgeing up today
- Despite Walker having a decent game, once he was a yellow, Stoke targeted him, we easily could have subbed him out, on top of that you put on Lamela in front of him who weakens the right side even more, and guess which side the goal came from?

Sadly, Lamela was extremely poor today and did absolutely nothing to aid his cause. I defend him because that is my nature, but he does need to step up very very fast.

He needs to sort it out very soon ...

Disagree. He is working very very hard to sort it out, what he needs is the final push of support from the board and patience. He needs a couple of years. I saw some things today which were very exciting for the future. Put it this way; had Njie been signed in the summer, had he got the attacking mid he wants too, I think we'd have been 4 up at HT. That Kane has had to become our most gifted playmaker today (Eriksen was good but Kane delivered two absolutely SUBLIME passes, one of which Chadli completely blew) tells you we still have work to do.

Going to answer in bold with you mate, as you are someone I always enjoy 'discussion' with...

Not a lot to disagree with, my opinion

- the subs made cost us badly (forced/unforced, hopefully they do know better)
- the subs not made (Walker on yellow under pressure) also cost us

Really frustrating, anger causing day, we were good enough to kill that off in first half, failed and paid for it.

Poch just put a ton of unnecessary pressure on himself, Leicester & Everton will be very interesting.

1) I don't think we can call our system rigid. The interchanging of the midfielders with Kane and one another caused Stoke so many problems and we should've had more goals than 2. If anything our players failed to initiate the press effectively from the front. Kane often looked tired and made half hearted attempts at closing and when he wasn't leading the press and Chadli was the front man (due to interchanging) the press didn't happen because he didn't appear sure who or how to press.

2) The Dier experiment actually looks to have some merit as the guy did a lot of good work again today. He made a couple of errors but he also made the middle of the pitch his own for large periods of the game.

3) Our defence when sitting back is disorganised and even when sat back, the quick switch put us in trouble. I don't think Walker had the best game and whilst the early yellow card hindered him, it was his own fault for getting skinned by Arnautovic early on. The aerial route works against us and Davies and Jan both looked uncomfortable when the ball was crossed in. Eriksen and Chadli were slow to get across the field to cover their fullbacks when play was switched.

1) I don't think we can call our system rigid. The interchanging of the midfielders with Kane and one another caused Stoke so many problems and we should've had more goals than 2. If anything our players failed to initiate the press effectively from the front. Kane often looked tired and made half hearted attempts at closing and when he wasn't leading the press and Chadli was the front man (due to interchanging) the press didn't happen because he didn't appear sure who or how to press.

2) The Dier experiment actually looks to have some merit as the guy did a lot of good work again today. He made a couple of errors but he also made the middle of the pitch his own for large periods of the game.

3) Our defence when sitting back is disorganised and even when sat back, the quick switch put us in trouble. I don't think Walker had the best game and whilst the early yellow card hindered him, it was his own fault for getting skinned by Arnautovic early on. The aerial route works against us and Davies and Jan both looked uncomfortable when the ball was crossed in. Eriksen and Chadli were slow to get across the field to cover their fullbacks when play was switched.

Once again, a very fair break down of the defensive issues. Jan has looked uncomfortable both games to me.

I thought Kane was excellent when he had legs in him and he was a creator as well as leading the line

The front players looked fluid for the first half and at ease with their roles

I thought neither of our full backs were troubled during the game and the bookings were ones they had to take for the team

The problem though I what good is a strict formation (hire re fluid the players can make it) if your missing vital cost in it. We wouldn't pay without a keeper hey we have a system that relies on one forward and we have one only in the whole squad. What was lamellas role when he came on? Was Chadli meant to be leading the line?

We conceded one and as usual we became spineless and unorganised

It has to stop if we have any ambition of progress otherwise every game will be two steps forward and two steps back

Davies dealt with Walters whilst he was on, but he did get outmuscled by Diouf on a few occasions. Walker needed help from the 10th minute on as Arnautovic ran at him all game. I think Poch switched Dembele and Eriksen over at some stage in the second half, which didn't seem to stem the tide.

I think the signing of the senior DM is most necessary and one reason why I would like to see us sign Bender. An old head in the middle there to lead by example is what we needed.

Yes, the squad is still incomplete, but I felt Pochettino really had to do better with the subs yesterday. Both fullbacks on a yellow, so either bring on Trippier and Rose or get Dier to slot in at right-back. If the former, perhaps bring on Alli to be the live-wire; if the latter, there's still more options. Dembele can hold, and he also knows how to play the forward role. Once, as he does once in a blue moon, he did burst forward and shoot. Nearly scored, too. Lamela was an unmitigated disaster, but if he had to use him, for Christ's sake, stick him up top where he can't do so much defensive damage and concentrate on a solid base. I was shocked at how quickly we melted after the changes were made, and once Alderweireld gave away that penalty, the equaliser was always coming. It's a wonder we held on for the point, in the end.

Last edited:
Yes, the squad is still incomplete, but I felt Pochettino really had to do better with the subs yesterday. Both fullbacks on a yellow, so either bring on Trippier and Rose or get Dier to slot in at right-back. If the former, perhaps bring on Alli to be the live-wire; if the latter, there's still more options. Dembele can hold, and he also knows how to play the forward role. A couple of times, as he does once in a blue moon, he did burst forward and shoot. Nearly scored, too. Lamela was an unmitigated disaster, but if he had to use him, for Christ's sake, stick him up top where he can't do so much defensive damage and concentrate on a solid base. I was shocked at how quickly we melted after the changes were made, and once Alderweireld gave away that penalty, the equaliser was always coming.
Agree that poch played to their strengths and left our weakness unattended.

Poor subs and gameplan that backfired.

NWND made a good post in another thread re the subs which i largely agree with - his hands were tied with a lack of options and Kane needing to come off.

But poch is the right manager for us now til the stadium is built. To improve the stock that we have in the playing team. If he doesn't improve I am sure levy will look for better.

NWND made a good post in another thread re the subs which i largely agree with - his hands were tied with a lack of options and Kane needing to come off.
i don't see that point. I can't see past how Poch took of our two most important attacking threats and left our yellow carded fullbacks there to suffer.

i don't see that point. I can't see past how Poch took of our two most important attacking threats and left our yellow carded fullbacks there to suffer.

Do you think that this might have been because neither of them had a full pre-season?

That's the problem though, there are things fans can't see. You have no idea about players' conditioning,fitness levels whereas the manager does. It's pretty obvious Poch wouldn't of taken either of them off if he had the choice...

Part 1: forgetting his bad points yesterday I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. People slagging his subs and tactics yet I doubt there is a professional club in England who are as short as we are up front and frankly he has been let down by the club.

People will talk about football hierarchies and economies of scale - but to be this short up front is a disgrace and it is costing us points. I totally get the idea that we need to wait for some signings but he is be under severe pressure, mostly not of his doing.

I like him and I think we will grow but we look bare, disjointed and Mr. Levy at least give him his own sword to fall on because he has been dealt a bad set of cards at this present time

Part 2:

Saying all that, what worried me yesterday was poch and others declaring that we were really good for the first 70mins. To me we looked flat, lacked width, pace, invention and relied on a few great moments from kane or erisken for inspiration. We were slow in possession and all of our forward plauers are near and tidy but do not stretch defences and its all to predictable.

Stoke looked weak at the back yet a decent team will sit deep, play narrow and will know that they have a good chance of keeping us out bar a moment of magic. We need to shake things up and need a plan b. Stoke came out a different side the second half and poch did not counter this.

We had some nice spells but I fear that we will get taught a lesson soon if we don't sharpen up and expand our attacking play.

Lots to work on and players to bring in but can you really see poch getting the 50m he needs to add 3 quality plauers in that we are crying out for. I am not asking the world just some berahino/toby type players (talent, pl experience etc) who will add something to the first XI.

Reasons to be positive yet also cautious as we now travel to a very good Leicester side under unecessary pressure

Part 2:

Saying all that, what worried me yesterday was poch and others declaring that we were really good for the first 70mins. To me we looked flat, lacked width, pace, invention and relied on a few great moments from kane or erisken for inspiration. We were slow in possession and all of our forward plauers are near and tidy but do not stretch defences and its all to predictable.

Stoke looked weak at the back yet a decent team will sit deep, play narrow and will know that they have a good chance of keeping us out bar a moment of magic. We need to shake things up and need a plan b. Stoke came out a different side the second half and poch did not counter this.

We had some nice spells but I fear that we will get taught a lesson soon if we don't sharpen up and expand our attacking play.

Lots to work on and players to bring in but can you really see poch getting the 50m he needs to add 3 quality plauers in that we are crying out for. I am not asking the world just some berahino/toby type players (talent, pl experience etc) who will add something to the first XI.

Reasons to be positive yet also cautious as we now travel to a very good Leicester side under unecessary pressure

Leicester aren't a very good side! They are ok, but people were tipping them for relegation before the season started. Suddenly, they beat a poor Sunderland and get a win against the Spam & suddenly they're very good?? Nah, they're still ok, that's it.

One way to look at it is that last week Liverpool created next to nothing against Stoke, yet we cut them open on more than one occasion. I thought both our fullbacks were more conservative with their starting positions yesterday and we did lack the width which we did have against UTD.

Part 1: forgetting his bad points yesterday I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. People slagging his subs and tactics yet I doubt there is a professional club in England who are as short as we are up front and frankly he has been let down by the club.

No he hasn't .. lets fudging get that out the way ..

- Poch was brought to this club to get the best out of our existing team (go dig up Club's introduction statement), he's failed miserably (Lamela, Soldado, Capoue, Stambouli, Lennon & more) and become the same as a ton of other managers, go sell half the team and buy a bunch of new players and get exactly the same results.
- Obviously he is insistent on "his kind of player" and that is making targeting/buying players even more difficult.
- If Poch really needs a deep bench to beat Stoke, then we are truly fudged.

Back