• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Slept on it and to be honest i am still gutted about the decision. I really thought that after all the good work Poch had done over he last 5 years he would have been given the rest of the season to turn it round. I have been a supporter for nearly 60 years and i will always thank Poch for returning our club back into contenders again, we had really sunk from the top table over the last couple of decades and no matter how much i love our club i had to admit we had dropped to also runs.

Sad to say that my only gripe about Poch was that in the first few seasons he was here ( imo) he turned his back on aiming to win a trophy the way he sent teams out in the domestic cups. I know that a lot of fans will disagree with that but sport is about not just about taking part but actually going out and winning things and we have failed to do that. As for Jose being given the job i have no problems with that to be honest, i trust Levy and i am sure he has spoken to Jose and explained to him that he will not allow him to throw money about like confetti ( pretty much the same he told " rent a quote" when he got the job here).

Jose is a winner and he has got the medals to prove it and i am sure Levy will back him to do that here.

I am honestly wondering why so many are blaming Levy. Levy has his targets to meet and you could argue he had given Pochettino enough time. Also we have no idea what finally forced his hand. Would anyone really have done differently?

For the same reason people think Levy is skint, cheap or stupid. They lack the experience of working in a business where you are one of the elite (in Spurs case, one of the top 10-15 clubs in the world), the expectations and total lack of tolerance for failure (regardless of circumstance). Some of the comments here are downright naïve, as is the surprise/shock.

For the same reason people think Levy is skint, cheap or stupid. They lack the experience of working in a business where you are one of the elite (in Spurs case, one of the top 10-15 clubs in the world), the expectations and total lack of tolerance for failure (regardless of circumstance). Some of the comments here are downright naïve, as is the surprise/shock.

Can I ask, do you think it is possible to be a member of this forum, disagree with the actions taken and still retain employment working with “the elite”? Because my word, you speak as if you have some almighty occupation that allows you an omnipotent view of this entire situation and results in only one possible outcome/opinion.

I work with people who are very, very “elite”
and recognised as such. They would not behave like this. It is not how they wish to run their business, yet somehow, they manage to retain an enormous level of success.

Can I ask, do you think it is possible to be a member of this forum, disagree with the actions taken and still retain employment working with “the elite”? Because my word, you speak as if you have some almighty occupation that allows you an omnipotent view of this entire situation and results in only one possible outcome/opinion.

and recognised as such. They would not behave like this. It is not how they wish to run their business, yet somehow, they manage to retain an enormous level of success.

Mate, you can disagree with anything you like and there are always exceptions to the rule. However, there is absolutely nothing that has happened at Spurs in the last week that is even vaguely a surprise, the surprise would have been Poch lasting the season (and you know I've stated that before)

I don't have any omnipotent view mate, just 20+ years of experiences that made it very clear to me he was a dead man walking and in my opinion the results created only one outcome. And the fact that you and others continue to point to circumstances, I'm sorry I come off as a dingdong here mate, but again in my experiences, nobody at this level gives a brick, there are no excuses (stadium, spending, injuries, nothing matters). They might like you, they might respect you, but failure or even limited success always ends one way.

They wouldn't sack someone doing enormous damage to the performance of their company? That doesn't sound like any route to success I've ever seen.

Mate, you can disagree with anything you like and there are always exceptions to the rule. However, there is absolutely nothing that has happened at Spurs in the last week that is even vaguely a surprise, the surprise would have been Poch lasting the season (and you know I've stated that before)

I don't have any omnipotent view mate, just 20+ years of experiences that made it very clear to me he was a dead man walking and in my opinion the results created only one outcome. And the fact that you and others continue to point to circumstances, I'm sorry I come off as a dingdong here mate, but again in my experiences, nobody at this level gives a brick, there are no excuses (stadium, spending, injuries, nothing matters). They might like you, they might respect you, but failure or even limited success always ends one way.

Somewhere in there you haven’t quite grasped the question I am asking of you.

With regards to your example, what this DOES prove about the corporate world is that 9 times out of 10, the CEO, boss or even department manager can always find someone to pin all the blame on. That is reality. And where I will agree with the charge of “naivety” is that I felt Levy had evolved from such positions. He and Jose have been sniffing each other’s arses for some time, I agree. Well now they decided to fudge. Let’s hope it doesn’t end the way the form book suggests it will...

Somewhere in there you haven’t quite grasped the question I am asking of you.

With regards to your example, what this DOES prove about the corporate world is that 9 times out of 10, the CEO, boss or even department manager can always find someone to pin all the blame on. That is reality. And where I will agree with the charge of “naivety” is that I felt Levy had evolved from such positions. He and Jose have been sniffing each other’s arses for some time, I agree. Well now they decided to fudge. Let’s hope it doesn’t end the way the form book suggests it will...

Mate we fundamentally disagree here

- Poch is the owner/responsable/accountable for on field results, this is not finding someone to pin blame on, it is literally in his job measurables.
- It was actually important to pull the trigger because anything else sends a message that lack of results/failure will be tolerated (something the players seem to have taken on already)
- And not everyone in these organizations is constantly up for review, it's specific high risk/reward roles and usually people are paid as such (hence why Poch will walk away with a lot of cash)
- Many years ago I believed like you and some people here, but time and time again I've seen said companies make the call and the results both short and long term improve (change for change sake, sending message about tolerance for failure, or just pushing people as hard as you can till they burn out and swap new/fresh in, doesn't matter what, same result)

We will see re future ..

I like Mks comparison to Jol, it feels very much on the nose.

When Jol went it was a terribly sad day (not to mention terribly managed), but it was also time.

I think thats why it was sadness for me, and not anger. And its the same with Pochettino. Im not angry, and I think a lot of the bile being spouted is really quite unnecessary - though I do understand emotions run high.

No, Im just sad.

IMHO, all the talk of mitigations, compromises, distractions - it is still BS. Its all noise around the actual point. That being, Poch just wasnt doing the job well enough.

I think the 5 years prior, building to the crescendo in Madrid, broke him. And thats really what it came down to.

I think he invested so much of himself into the job, he eventually ran out of steam.

Which is really quite remarkable, and its why Id never slag him off or show any ill will toward him.

And its why Im so sad its time for him to go, Id have loved nothing more than for him to find the juice to go again and keep on progressing.

I think he and the club progressed an incredible amount in his time, for which we can only be grateful. We found each other at the absolute ideal moment, and for 5 years it was a beautiful thing. I dont know of another manager that could have helped us into the new stadium like he has, while maintaining CL football, while playing winning football and actually earning some genuine respect in the game.

Its a fantastic achievement and one Ill forever be grateful for.

Put it this way, we just hired the most decorated/successful manager in the modern era to replace him. The idea of such 5 years ago is laughable. THATS the difference Pochettino has made in his time here.

Ive said for a while, I think he needs a break, to recharge and rejuvenate, and I really hope he takes it rather than jumping to another club too quickly.

Then I look forward to following his career with interest and affection, and can only wish him well.

Mate we fundamentally disagree here

- Poch is the owner/responsable/accountable for on field results, this is not finding someone to pin blame on, it is literally in his job measurables.
- It was actually important to pull the trigger because anything else sends a message that lack of results/failure will be tolerated (something the players seem to have taken on already)
- And not everyone in these organizations is constantly up for review, it's specific high risk/reward roles and usually people are paid as such (hence why Poch will walk away with a lot of cash)
- Many years ago I believed like you and some people here, but time and time again I've seen said companies make the call and the results both short and long term improve (change for change sake, sending message about tolerance for failure, or just pushing people as hard as you can till they burn out and swap new/fresh in, doesn't matter what, same result)

We will see re future ..

I think we fundamentally disagree on a few things is the conclusion I have reached my friend. In my world, I have seen people who have suffered adversities which have directly affected their ability to do their job helped and supported through the crisis. Every time, the results have seen more success than ever. 36 years experience in my world mate.

The point I keep trying to make is that not every successful business runs on the same exact “rules”. The only place we agree is that I naively failed to fully believe Burky when he said there used to be a football club over there. In my defence, I had just seen us win the Uefa Cup at the Lane. Still...

I like Mks comparison to Jol, it feels very much on the nose.

When Jol went it was a terribly sad day (not to mention terribly managed), but it was also time.

I think thats why it was sadness for me, and not anger. And its the same with Pochettino. Im not angry, and I think a lot of the bile being spouted is really quite unnecessary - though I do understand emotions run high.

No, Im just sad.

IMHO, all the talk of mitigations, compromises, distractions - it is still BS. Its all noise around the actual point. That being, Poch just wasnt doing the job well enough.

I think the 5 years prior, building to the crescendo in Madrid, broke him. And thats really what it came down to.

I think he invested so much of himself into the job, he eventually ran out of steam.

Which is really quite remarkable, and its why Id never slag him off or show any ill will toward him.

And its why Im so sad its time for him to go, Id have loved nothing more than for him to find the juice to go again and keep on progressing.

I think he and the club progressed an incredible amount in his time, for which we can only be grateful. We found each other at the absolute ideal moment, and for 5 years it was a beautiful thing. I dont know of another manager that could have helped us into the new stadium like he has, while maintaining CL football, while playing winning football and actually earning some genuine respect in the game.

Its a fantastic achievement and one Ill forever be grateful for.

Put it this way, we just hired the most decorated/successful manager in the modern era to replace him. The idea of such 5 years ago is laughable. THATS the difference Pochettino has made in his time here.

Ive said for a while, I think he needs a break, to recharge and rejuvenate, and I really hope he takes it rather than jumping to another club too quickly.

Then I look forward to following his career with interest and affection, and can only wish him well.

Whilst I disagree with some of this, overall I think it is the fairest assessment from someone who I know wanted him “retired” from our service. Good reading and another perspective.

I think we fundamentally disagree on a few things is the conclusion I have reached my friend. In my world, I have seen people who have suffered adversities which have directly affected their ability to do their job helped and supported through the crisis. Every time, the results have seen more success than ever. 36 years experience in my world mate.

The point I keep trying to make is that not every successful business runs on the same exact “rules”. The only place we agree is that I naively failed to fully believe Burky when he said there used to be a football club over there. In my defence, I had just seen us win the Uefa Cup at the Lane. Still...

Fair enough mate, always different ways in world, different experiences.

I truly wish the world was a different place and closer to your vision of it ..

Whilst I disagree with some of this, overall I think it is the fairest assessment from someone who I know wanted him “retired” from our service. Good reading and another perspective.

I at no point WANTED him out at all. I just came to the conclusion it would be necessary. And I am desperately sad thats what it has come to.

Genuinely wanted to be proven very wrong on that one.

Back