• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Recruitment that Poch is a big part of.

Dont forget all the talk of him turning down players as well.

Im not sure we'll ever know the truth of it (probably 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other IMO) but did the club let him down on making moves happen (that they could have closed) or did he demand players we were never going to deliver?

I don’t disagree, but it is a team and he’s not fully to blame.

I don’t get why we turned tielemans down.

Our transfer record was better before he took that control imo

If you count the Lo Celso fee, never mind adding Dybala on top, ask the question what we could have done this summer, Ndombele was needed, did we really actually need to replace Eriksen given him leaving free’s up Ali’s best position and Lamela was still here as a alternative, I can’t help but feel that £100m (Lo Celso and what would have been spent on Dybala could have been much better utilised on other areas of the squad this summer.

Imagine you are a manager and at the interview Daniel says: "Which position would you strengthen as top priority? (goalie apart, that is probably a mandatory now)?
What would it be? Which position should be our priority? Defensive midfielder or centre back?

I seem to remember at Southampton recruitment was one of the big question marks about him.

Feeling was that he wasn't too great in the transfer market.

If you count the Lo Celso fee, never mind adding Dybala on top, ask the question what we could have done this summer, Ndombele was needed, did we really actually need to replace Eriksen given him leaving free’s up Ali’s best position and Lamela was still here as a alternative, I can’t help but feel that £100m (Lo Celso and what would have been spent on Dybala could have been much better utilised on other areas of the squad this summer.

Im a fan of the work we done this summer but agree there are other areas that need addressing too - a new RB and DM for me but you can't get everything right in one window and im happy to have signed the players we did and to tackle the other positions next summer

I don’t disagree, but it is a team and he’s not fully to blame.

I agree completely - thats my issue with the whole "poch got undone by the board not buying players" argument. I just dont think its fair.

I don’t get why we turned tielemans down.
`

For me? Too much like Eriksen. Ive seen Eriksen as a single point of failure in our side for a long time. If he doesnt play/doesnt play well then neither do we.

All our business in the summer (actually done and reported) looked to me like a switch to more of a 4/3/3, negating the need for "an Eriksen".

Aside from which Im yet to be actually impressed by Tielemens to be honest. Looks like a bit of a MOTD player to me.

I seem to remember at Southampton recruitment was one of the big question marks about him.

Feeling was that he wasn't too great in the transfer market.

I don't remember that being a question mark over him as he was only there a brief period of time and worked under a DoF of sorts

I agree completely - thats my issue with the whole "poch got undone by the board not buying players" argument. I just dont think its fair.

For me? Too much like Eriksen. Ive seen Eriksen as a single point of failure in our side for a long time. If he doesnt play/doesnt play well then neither do we.

All our business in the summer (actually done and reported) looked to me like a switch to more of a 4/3/3, negating the need for "an Eriksen".

Aside from which Im yet to be actually impressed by Tielemens to be honest. Looks like a bit of a MOTD player to me.

The fact we never tried to implement the 4-3-3 with two wide men is baffling when you have Son/Moura/Pamela.

Our squad looks like it has been built with that exact formation in mind and with the benefit of making the 'playmaker' redundant.

Im a fan of the work we done this summer but agree there are other areas that need addressing too - a new RB and DM for me but you can't get everything right in one window and im happy to have signed the players we did and to tackle the other positions next summer

I am not criticising who we signed as players, but what I meant was in terms of priority what the squad needed, we seemed to be completely focusing on the wrong areas and leaving the gaps in the squad still there.

I am not criticising who we signed as players, but what I meant was in terms of priority what the squad needed, we seemed to be completely focusing on the wrong areas and leaving the gaps in the squad still there.

CM was seemingly everyones top priority to improve last summer and we signed two big money players for that area of the pitch...

The fact we never tried to implement the 4-3-3 with two wide men is baffling when you have Son/Moura/Pamela.

Our squad looks like it has been built with that exact formation in mind and with the benefit of making the 'playmaker' redundant.

That was what made sense to me over the summer, seemed obvious.

But maybe Im missing something?

It really is a no brainer, IMHO.

Eriksen is playing like brick. And he is taking game time from players who are sticking around. There is no benefit to playing him, even if (for example) Alli replaces him and is out of form.

The idea we are just waiting for Lo Celso to be fit (and settled, and up to speed) before dropping Eriksen is foolish, and if thats what Poch is doing it is entirely damning of him.

Incidentally, Poch used Lamela in Eriksens place against Leicester, and Lamela did more in that game than Eriksen has in 2019. So its not like he hasnt worked out there are alternatives...
As well as dropping Eriksen we need to fix the double pivot. Perhaps the energy of Skipp in there alongside winks until we can bring some one in January.

As well as dropping Eriksen we need to fix the double pivot. Perhaps the energy of Skipp in there alongside winks until we can bring some one in January.

We would need to play with one first!

Pochs solution to date has been a diamond (until today at least)

I really saw positive in him switching to 4231, Dier fit - back to double pivot - well done Poch.

And then the players figured fudge it they may as well go off to their Intl duty early.

CM was seemingly everyones top priority to improve last summer and we signed two big money players for that area of the pitch...

Lo Celso is a Eriksen replacement in my eyes fully expecting him not to be here, and I said originally Ndombele was needed, he is brilliant signing and I’m happy with Sessegnon, but my point was the £100m on Lo Celso and what would have been Dybala should have been spent elsewhere.

Said that myself

3-4-3 or 4-3-3

Either way we have a lot of attacking players and we’re not getting as much out of them
Reversely we can’t defend for soup

I think we're gearing towards

Lloris
New RB Sanchez New CB? Sessegnon
Winks
Ndombele Lo Celso
Alli Kane Son
Which is a 433 of sorts though personally i have huge doubts over Winks' ability to anchor the midfield so would like to see a new DM brought in

Back