• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

What I find sad is how quickly fans turn on managers and/or players. We all want success for our club, but what is a club if not the players and managers who’ve been at the club over the years? And this manager and group of players have brought us unprecedented success in the last 2 or 3 decades, yet the moment we hit a difficult patch there’s so little loyalty or perspective from so many fans.

Personally I don’t think anyone’s massively to blame for this sticky patch - it’s just a consequence of trying to go from perennial mediocrity to PL and CL winners on a shoe string, whilst building a new stadium. Let’s man up and stop whining like little bitches.

What I find sad is how quickly fans turn on managers and/or players. We all want success for our club, but what is a club if not the players and managers who’ve been at the club over the years? And this manager and group of players have bought us unprecedented success in the last 2 or 3 decades, yet the moment we hit a difficult patch there’s so little loyalty or perspective from so many fans.

Personally I don’t think anyone’s massively to blame for this sticky patch - it’s just a consequence of trying to go from perennial mediocrity to PL and CL winners on a shoe string, whilst building a new stadium. Let’s man up and stop whining like little bitches.

What do you mean how quickly fans can turn? people have been patient with him and the team for the last year and a half.

Sure, it's just that if our physical regime runs our players into the ground, it should do so with theirs as well. One can hope, at least.

Yeah but my point was meant to be that it’s also a mental thing - it’s harder to motivate yourself to work that hard physically when it’s not leading to trophies.

Yeah but my point was meant to be that it’s also a mental thing - it’s harder to motivate yourself to work that hard physically when it’s not leading to trophies.
Of course it is. I don't disagree with you, and there's no doubt that the way we played a few years back is unsustainable long term without a solid squad and reasonable rotation.

What do you mean how quickly fans can turn? people have been patient with him and the team for the last year and a half.

Patient for a year and a half? During a period where we’ve finished top 4 twice and got to a CL final? This is kind of what I mean - managers and players becoming victims of their own success to some extent. We’ve arguably not had as good an 18 months in the last 30 years outside of Poch’s time here! It just frustrates me sometimes that so many fans show so little loyalty or perspective - it’s all ‘what have you done for me lately’.

What I find sad is how quickly fans turn on managers and/or players. We all want success for our club, but what is a club if not the players and managers who’ve been at the club over the years? And this manager and group of players have bought us unprecedented success in the last 2 or 3 decades, yet the moment we hit a difficult patch there’s so little loyalty or perspective from so many fans.

I don’t want him gone. I want him to improve and fix the issues that he is at least partly responsible for;

Saying he may leave if we win the CL. Refreshing honesty playing devils advocate but how do you think he would react if Kane said that? He says the squad are unsettled, well with comments like that it’s not hard to figure out why.

Playing square pegs in round holes, Sanchez at right back. Sanchez at centre back instead of Vertonghen.

He’s the public mouthpiece of the club. I get that he is honest, straight talking and wears his heart on his sleeve but he really needs to filter himself at times. He’s been in England for a good 6-7 years now, I’m not buying the old “lost in translation” line that gets trotted out every time he says something weird or that could be interpreted as negative.

Patient for a year and a half? During a period where we’ve finished top 4 twice and got to a CL final? This is kind of what I mean - managers and players becoming victims of their own success to some extent. We’ve arguably not had as good an 18 months in the last 30 years outside of Poch’s time here! It just frustrates me sometimes that so many fans show so little loyalty or perspective - it’s all ‘what have you done for me lately’.

But we’ve never had a squad like this one, or the infrastructure behind it. It’s all relative.

Right. And this season was always going to have some transition. First season in a new home, and 3 next generation players to come through into the team with others on their way out.

Poch should take some blame, but see the bigger picture.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
For the record, I'm fully behind Poch. Not only because he has earned it, but also that I cannot see any obvious better choices we could attract. Why on earth would we want someone like Mourinho when he is the de facto end product of what we (with doomsday glasses on) may fear that Poch is slowly becoming? I just want to see signs that he can learn something from and adjust to this negative period. If that means that some (inflated) heads will roll, so be it. To be honest, most of his tenure here has been a joyride and frankly plain overachieving given our resources and what we have been up against. Now Monday is back and we have to be able to show that we can pull our sh*t together even when things aren't sliding along.

It looks like they dont wanna play for him anymore.

Personally I think he brought it all on himself. He hadthis air of mystery. And seemed pretty intelligent.

Then he released a book. The reason for doing it I still don't understand beyond trying to boost his reputation and ego.
The mystery was gone. He came across like a new age loon and talked brick about various players.

According to the likes of Delaney and Pitt Brooke the players thought he would be leaving the club this summer regardless what happened.

He stayed. Various players havent signed contracts.

He kicked up an almighty fuss in press conference after press conference in pre season and the start of the season.

Then Donna Cullen (executive director and previous Spurs' head of Communications) got involved. He was putting across a terrible image for the club.
The next press conference Poch was all smiles again.

But on the pitch it remains a mess. Poch picking the good eggs in the dressing room and playing players wildly out of position like he was Sherwood.

I believe what Delaney has been saying about players questioning his tactics. Only an idiot wouldn't.

For the record, I'm fully behind Poch. Not only because he has earned it, but also that I cannot see any obvious better choices we could attract. Why on earth would we want someone like Mourinho when he is the de facto end product of what we (with doomsday glasses on) may fear that Poch is slowly becoming? I just want to see signs that he can learn something from and adjust to this negative period. If that means that some (inflated) heads will roll, so be it. To be honest, most of his tenure here has been a joyride and frankly plain overachieving given our resources and what we have been up against. Now Monday is back and we have to be able to show that we can pull our sh*t together even when things aren't sliding along.

Mate, Spurs will be one of the top jobs in the world, we will have no problem finding options. Chelsea/Madrid and others have shown you can rotate managers in/out and still have success, not efficient, but it can be done.

If the choice for Levy is replacing 4 or 5 first team players or one manager, one manager is cheaper/safer and more likely to get results.

Poch is still here, but the results have to change.

He will steady the ship.

He has earned the right and deserves the time.

He knows our performances are poor, he isn't sitting on his hands.

He's cursed by his own success, in that he has over-delivered in his first five seasons.

The childish entitlement and expectation from some while unreasonable, is totally understandable.

I will back him as long as he is here.

To clarify; by time I don't mean a week, or a month. I mean let him have one season that's a write off.

It happens to every team and the very best managers. We would do well to back him through this.

Long-term thinking isn't a popular activity in today's world, let alone the bubble that is world football, but I feel like perspective is needed in spades.

Makes you wonder what good he will do at Madrid don’t it if he is such a one trick pony, they won’t allow him to build a young team from scratch, right now I’m not sure he would last a year there.

I do wonder, he certainly won’t have the complete squad ins and outs he has here.

He will be given players and he won’t be able to bomb out Neymar for not running around.

As much as I get the point we as fans have to be careful for what we wish for, so does he.

I don't disagree that our physical requirements are extremely high, but Liverpool's press and attack tempo are well on par with ours at it's peak, and has been for a while. And they are no younger. Consolation has to be that we'll soon see a significant drop in their performances as well!

The difference is that a0 Poch has been at Spurs longer and so have our older players. Klopp has really turned their squad over.

It looks like they dont wanna play for him anymore.

Personally I think he bought it all on himself. He hadthis air of mystery. And seemed pretty intelligent.

Then he released a book. The reason for doing it I still don't understand beyond trying to boost his reputation and ego.
The mystery was gone. He came across like a new age loon and talked brick about various players.

According to the likes of Delaney and Pitt Brooke the players thought he would be leaving the club this summer regardless what happened.

He stayed. Various players havent signed contracts.

He kicked up an almighty fuss in press conference after press conference in pre season and the start of the season.

Then Donna Cullen (executive director and previous Spurs' head of Communications) got involved. He was putting across a terrible image for the club.
The next press conference Poch was all smiles again.

But on the pitch it remains a mess. Poch picking the good eggs in the dressing room and playing players wildly out of position like he was Sherwood.

I believe what Delaney has been saying about players questioning his tactics. Only an idiot wouldn't.
It's pretty clear the club have longed for united or madrid to take him away for a while now, via their media mates who have always been pimping him out to those lot and their ilk for last few years- all those faux friendly Fergie snaps and the media driven united want dier for £60m, it's so contrived. And that Beckham brick just recently! Creepy marketing. Face it,the reason the club has been relatively successful under his stewardship isn't really down to him . An illusion has been created. It's pretty desperate really. And now the players know it too.

Last edited:
Back