• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mateo Musacchio

Why are you starting an in depth discussion about Miralem Pjanic in this thread?

Wrong place, fella. If you wish to continue it, could you please start another thread in the General Football forum? Cheers.

i was leading somewhere. nevermind

The report from the other page is actually along the same as I would have said about Mussachio. He is still young as a CB, but if I'm not wrong he has played over way over 100 games in Spain (one season in second division) at an age of 23. He looks like a defender who could be close to world class, but so far he seem to "lose his head" sometimes. I would compare him to Daws, blocks a lot of shots and tackles a lot on the ground. Very often well timed. And he is much better than Daws with the ball to his feet. He is not very fast, but compensates by a good footballing brain. He reads the game very well. I can't say I'm an expert, I only watched him four or five games last season. Veron23 mentioned his own goal against Barca. Yes, that was clumsy, but he was a rock for 75 minutes, and Villareal actually lead 2-1 when he was unlucky. I would like to think he is well suited for the PL, but of course: Every signing is a gamle. But: For about £15 mill I would take him. No doubt in my mind.

here poch and levy seem to be in agreement - young with potential and ready for the next step up.
poch being argie and a defender, spanish league... i see sensible and calculated risk taking.

I've only seen the guy play once, when I was in Barcelona back in December. Didn't notice him really, but in general their defense kept the Barca forwards quiet for most of the game. Messi didn't play though. And he also scored a nice headed goal from a corner in that game.

Interesting article on this rumour http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2014/08/musacchio-1198m-bid-complicated-by.html?:

He is an Argentinian who was voted Club Player of the Season in 2013/14 and is valued around £15 million (€18.79m) by Yillarreal.

Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with well over a dozen Argentinians since he took over, all to no avail. He knows La Liga well having spent eight years in Spain as a player and manager at RCD Espanyol (full name Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona). He has a sound knowledge of the league therefore and still has his home in Barcelona where he escapes to whenever he can.

So the theory goes they are both Argentinian, he knows him so Spurs need a centre-back, let's link them, that about sums the whole story up.

On the downside he has a contract until 2018 which for me makes it questionable if we would go after him and at 1.82m he is a little short, that's under 6 foot. His tackling and intercepting are good but like Vlad Chiriches he is weak in the air and you simply can't be weak in the air in the Premier League.

He may be fine with small strikers playing along the floor but anyone who goes aerial he would have a problem with and there are plenty of them in the Premier League. However reports suggest Pochettino is a fan and he is rated highly in Spain.

Our first game is against West Ham and in the Cup they simply figured out Chiriches was weak in the air and targeted him. Two knock downs later and we were out the Cup. It's a concern.

Reports suggest we have put in a bid for £11.98 million (€15m) and it was rejected. The stories coming out of Spain are that the player wants to leave and Villerreal suggest his agent will have to drop his cut for a deal at our price, Musacchio economic rights are partly owned by his agent. Their president has insisted on full payment in the past and we usually pay in instalments with add-ons so one more hurdle in negotiations.

Musacchio is a non-home grown player and we have our full quota of them still we would have to sell before we could buy him. Scneiderlin will be late if it happens at all which will mean Sandro leaving late. A deal could still be done though is all parties can reach a compromise deal.

In Argentina there seems to be another problem surrounding him between Villarreal and River Plate over his economic rights which must surely have an affect on any future transfer.

Gabriel Casazza is a football journalist who writes for, among others, the River Plate website and he tells us the story (which I have translated online but you'll get the gist).

"Musacchio is about to be transferred to Tottenham for £15.16 million (€19m). River Plate receive 35% £5.31 million (€6.65m), however Musacchio's economic rights are at issue.
"There is an ongoing case against Villarreal by River Plate for breach of contract when he sold percentages of juveniles. Musacchio was not on the list but Villarreal had a clause in his favour to switch to two players (one was Musacchio).
"The other never made his debut at Villarreal, some were free and that caused a financial loss to the Spanish team. There is an action for which any transfer Musacchio you must first go through court to decide accordingly."

The economic rights issue would need to be sorted before any transfer as Spurs would require full economic rights. Under Premier League rules you are not allowed third party ownership so if there is a case for third party economic ownership signing him could still be problematic.

id be disappointed if we buy this guy instead of Vlaar, its a lot of money for a defender with no PL experience. but poch is the boss and he needs to be given the chance to go his own way

So what, are we only meant to buy players who have played in the PL? Should we be ignoring players in the Spanish League who have in general superior talented players?

So what, are we only meant to buy players who have played in the PL? Should we be ignoring players in the Spanish League who have in general superior talented players?

of course not......it just seems he is quite expensive

Isn't £15m about the going rate for a decent, experienced central defender now?

but he is 23, has had 2 full La Liga seasons of which one was a relegation season. I do think 15 mill (it might be more actually) is a high sum tbh

I don't know why a lot of people worry about the height of centrebacks, over the years I've seen Willie Young, John Lacy, Ramon Vega and Anthony Gardner all over 6 foot and f****** useless in the air, it's all about timing and technique.

I don't know why a lot of people worry about the height of centrebacks, over the years I've seen Willie Young, John Lacy, Ramon Vega and Anthony Gardner all over 6 foot and f****** useless in the air, it's all about timing and technique.

Aerial duels win %

Musacchio 45.5%
Chiriches 46%

Im not a big stat fan and ive never put one of these together before. But I thought id see how he faired up against some of the best.

2rha1jm.jpg

Those stats tie in with lots of assertions that I have read that he is excellent at reading play!!! In actual fact with the way Poch likes to play...this could be a massive signing for us! (Poch probably has everything crossed!) and very effective for the tactics we play.

nice one mumorn

quite impressive stats...he seems to be right up there amongst the elite!!! looks like quite a complicated transfer but could be well worth the hassle!

Vega was also ****ing useless on the ground...

Chris Perry was brilliant for Wimbledon (not so good for us though) and he was only 5' 9".

However, I would prefer my centre-half to be more of a beast.

Those stats tie in with lots of assertions that I have read that he is excellent at reading play!!! In actual fact with the way Poch likes to play...this could be a massive signing for us! (Poch probably has everything crossed!) and very effective for the tactics we play.

nice one mumorn

quite impressive stats...he seems to be right up there amongst the elite!!! looks like quite a complicated transfer but could be well worth the hassle!

Ca6rp7b.jpg

Im not a big stat fan and ive never put one of these together before. But I thought id see how he faired up against some of the best.

2rha1jm.jpg

So would we infer that Sergio Ramos is miles better in the air than Koscielny and Kompany?

Stats like this are just rubbish

Back