• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings - Sheffield Utd - first leg

Stambouli MOTM for me. Always getting involved positively and trying to make things happen.

Townsend's never day die attitude and refreshing corner kicks that reached the far post was good to watch.

Eriksen and Ade invisible again.

Soldado's technique to bring the ball down back across his body won the penalty and the win for us.

Edit: Special mention to Campbell Ryce - quick, strong, fast feet. Mitchell are you watching .

Saw an article about him today - lifelong Spurs fan.

But 31 years old and never played in the top flight. Hardly the kind of player we're likely to be going for!

Saw an article about him today - lifelong Spurs fan.

But 31 years old and never played in the top flight. Hardly the kind of player we're likely to be going for!

oops! looked like 21 to me on TV :)

he definitely has 2-3 good year left in him but i do agree, too late for us.

Sorry but I find it hilarious people giving Soldado good marks for his nice pull down which got the pen Ades was actually tougher and he gets slated for doing nothing (mind I think Ade did a lot more for us albeit with more time on pitch) still it was dumb ****ing bell end move by blades defender if their defender would have done that after ade pulled ball down would he be getting same praise? I highly doubt it

Sorry but I find it hilarious people giving Soldado good marks for his nice pull down which got the pen Ades was actually tougher and he gets slated for doing nothing (mind I think Ade did a lot more for us albeit with more time on pitch) still it was dumb ****ing bell end move by blades defender if their defender would have done that after ade pulled ball down would he be getting same praise? I highly doubt it

Well yeah. Reverse it, and you nailed it. Your question must have been rhetorical, though. You just have to read thru it, see thru it, and all that.

The PK tonight. If Lamela puts it away, some are having kittens. Townsend could hit ten out of ten, and yet the next one he missed, look out. Thats what you are dealing with.

I'm surprised at the high marks Townsend is getting; he was Sheffield Utd's best defender last night. Every time he got the ball, we lost the ball. Same as Mason, woeful.

Stan Vert Dier were OK.

7 - Vert (MoTM), Dier, Stambouli
6 - Walker, Paulinho
5.5 - Townsend, Soldado, Vorm, Dembele
5 - Eriksen, Kane, Ade, Mason
4 - Davies

Poch - 6.5

I'm surprised at the high marks Townsend is getting; he was Sheffield Utd's best defender last night. Every time he got the ball, we lost the ball. Same as Mason, woeful.

Stan Vert Dier were OK.

If Lamela had put in Townsend's performance he would have been lambasted for the amount of times he lost the ball or cut inside. For some reason it's 'promising', 'lively' and 'looking like creating something' when Townsend does it. Looking like creating something isn't actually creating something, it's just bias talking. Can't wait for Lamela's return.

Was nobody else irate with how slowly vorm played the ball out, when we should have been pressing for a second goal...? No? Just me then....

If Lamela had put in Townsend's performance he would have been lambasted for the amount of times he lost the ball or cut inside. For some reason it's 'promising', 'lively' and 'looking like creating something' when Townsend does it. Looking like creating something isn't actually creating something, it's just bias talking. Can't wait for Lamela's return.

Couple of reverse agendas going on here? Didn't think Townsend gave too much possession away at all and he got in several decent crosses.as well as a thumping good pen. Also thought he was quite tricky on the ball but way forward was confronted by two/three defenders, obliging him to pass back to retain possession.

Townsend and Lamela can both frustrate the way they run into roadblocks but credit where it's due, they've BOTH been steadily improving under Poch.

So greater balance, less agenda all round please.

Point is Ade ballooned his shot after his pull-down, Soldado won a pen. It IS about outcomes. Ade was on the pitch longer and that was his only attempt on goal. Did some decent work back in mid although on another day might have been sent off the way he deliberately caught Reed in the face. Don't recall him setting up any chances for us either so for a front man he was relatively ineffective.

Point is Ade ballooned his shot after his pull-down, Soldado won a pen. It IS about outcomes. Ade was on the pitch longer and that was his only attempt on goal. Did some decent work back in mid although on another day might have been sent off the way he deliberately caught Reed in the face. Don't recall him setting up any chances for us either so for a front man he was relatively ineffective.

I don't think he deliberately caught hike in the face, it looked to me like he knew someone was on him and reached out to hold them off at chest height (key phrase coming up) without even looking. I thought yellow was harsh although in real time it looked worse than in slow motion. The opposite of the blazing over/penalty chance. In real time I wondered how he'd missed after such an exquisite take down, then the slo mo shows just why he was appealing to the referee - the challenge that comes in from behind/to his right side, goes through him, impeding his shot without actually making contact with the ball. Now it's very true that we don't always see those given but technically it could have been.

**** me this place is turning me into an Ade sympathiser!! IMO just calling it how I saw it - when he's played like a **** I'll say so!

Couple of reverse agendas going on here? Didn't think Townsend gave too much possession away at all and he got in several decent crosses.as well as a thumping good pen. Also thought he was quite tricky on the ball but way forward was confronted by two/three defenders, obliging him to pass back to retain possession.

Townsend and Lamela can both frustrate the way they run into roadblocks but credit where it's due, they've BOTH been steadily improving under Poch.

Can't find any stats on the match as the sites I use only have the bigger competitions. Anyone know how many times he did give the ball away?

Agreed.

Townsend wasn't outstanding last night. No Spurs player was. But he tried to make things happen, at least, and didn't lose the ball unduly, as claimed by some. And as you say, Sheffield Utd did a great job of doubling up on him, so his was always going to be a difficult task.

I actually blame Poch for our impotence in attack last night. Kane behind Adebayor (or Soldado, for that matter) doesn't work as well as Kane up front with Eriksen behind him. Kane might work well in the no. 10 role with a different striker in front of him, but not with the two other strikers that we have on the evidence thus far.

Quality site, cheers Jordinho. Masons passing accuracy was better than I thought, but as I said he often passed to a player under pressure so he gets the pass stat when he may well have given away possession. Most of the undoing of our passing game last night was down to the immense commitment from Sheffield United.

Back