• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings - Chelsea

Kane, Chadli and Bentaleb were the best players on the pitch. Fantastic win, but still making silly errors at the back and I'm not letting the victory hide the fact that Poch needs to sort that out fast.

Seems that Poch agrees with you. Focused on the good performance and on the importance of continuing to improve in his post match interview.

I think some of our defensive problems are understandable at this point. Christmas period, loads of games. No one in the league has played more games than us this season I think. Very little time in between games on the training ground, legs tiring, space opening up. Mistakes happening. Not just us. Look at Chelsea today and the other results today.

Agreed on that. Was very annoyed with Chelski's two last goals, which I feel we gifted them - it could've been fatal.

We were clinical up front today, on another day we could've lost 3-0 or 3-1. That shouldn't take anything away from our performance though. Great game overall.

We gifted them all 3 goals. We have Hazard fairly under control, but thinking that the ball crossed the line Rose stood off him and Dembele decided not to get himself back to cover. The two of them really should have managed to at least contain Hazard better than they did. Last two are obvious.

Seems that Poch agrees with you. Focused on the good performance and on the importance of continuing to improve in his post match interview.

I think some of our defensive problems are understandable at this point. Christmas period, loads of games. No one in the league has played more games than us this season I think. Very little time in between games on the training ground, legs tiring, space opening up. Mistakes happening. Not just us. Look at Chel53a today and the other results today.

We gifted them all 3 goals. We have Hazard fairly under control, but thinking that the ball crossed the line Rose stood off him and Dembele decided not to get himself back to cover. The two of them really should have managed to at least contain Hazard better than they did. Last two are obvious.

Harsh. Hazard's outstanding piece of skill on the ball in the build up to their first goal would have put even the best defenders on the floor.

Harsh. Hazard's outstanding piece of skill on the ball in the build up to their first goal would have put even the best defenders on the floor.

Sure. Two against one though? Rose and Dembele? I really think they successfully contain him most times if they don't mess it up with the throw in that wasn't.

Were you even watching?

Agreed!

I actually think Paulinho did well when he came on. Got forward well, made some dynamic runs, good clipped ball into the area for a Kane chance. I noticed quite a lot of effort and committment to 50-50s also.

But I wouldn't want to let what actually happened get in the way of some people's hatred of a maligned player...

Agreed!

I actually think Paulinho did well when he came on. Got forward well, made some dynamic runs, good clipped ball into the area for a Kane chance. I noticed quite a lot of effort and committment to 50-50s also.

But I wouldn't want to let what actually happened get in the way of some people's hatred of a maligned player...

I agree. I think Paulinho is starting to look the part. He is keeping his play simple but doing the simple things well.

I agree. I think Paulinho is starting to look the part. He is keeping his play simple but doing the simple things well.

For me he was the only disappointing note of today. Silly high boot gifted them a dangerous set piece and did not do anything with the ball other than lose it.

For me he was the only disappointing note of today. Silly high boot gifted them a dangerous set piece and did not do anything with the ball other than lose it.

Except set up Kane, who then assisted Chadli for our last goal. After passing to Kane he ran into the box to provide an option/distract their defenders.

If he's bottled that tackle I would've gone nuts. Needed to make that challenge.

I agree with those saying he looks like he's slowly improving. Long way to go, but another high tempo cameo to go with the Everton appearance. I think he's one of the ones poch refers to as taking longer than others to get used to his methods.

I thought Paulinho did pretty well to be honest. He provides something different in that he is again one of the few who is willing to beyond to run beyond the man with the ball to create some space (like Mason)

Wow. Just WOW. One of those truly marvellous days as a Spurs fan. We'll win trophies but not with the prolificy of certain other clubs and so I do think that we do enjoy and savour moments in football like this. 4-4 at the Emirates; Ar5ena1; Remember remember the 5th of November? A great man once said.... "The Game Is About Glory".....

Not going to criticize individual players on a day and result like that

With these ratings, I do think you have to bear in mind the opposition, and the fact that each individual was a contributor in a real team result. So I'm siding with Raziel on that one... yes, Fazio's error was poor (and if his tackle minutes later hadn't come off he could well have cost us the match) but he won this round with Costa who I still thought was very very dangerous. Indeed, this result has boosted our chances of silverware this season immensly, considering how the league cup is poised.

I cannot rate any of our players less then 8, possibly generous with Mason and Paulinho whose playing time was limited. But its that sense of team, and Paulinho integrated well into the team, did the job that was needed.

Hugo 9 - wouldn't fault him with any of the goals. Couldn't see Chelsea ever scoring the three needed when it was 4-1 and 5-2
Walker 9 - not only is it like he's not been injured, he also looked like the great KW from seasons ago
Vertonghen8 - ditto
Fazio 8
Rose 9.5 - model performance as attacking full back
Mason 8
Eriksen 8.5 - second half looked as valuable as Hazard ever has
Townsend 8 - I was certain he wasn't going to score that pen! Lovely control first half, lost his way second
Bentaleb 9 - our engine today, I really hope he isn't gone too long for the ACN.
Chadli 9 - Like Kane, we hoped he had it in him. Today we saw he had.
Kane 10 - Unplayable.
Dembele 9 - I thought he was marvellous. Just created that bit more time, passing was superb. Every bit the match winner as Kane and Chadli in that respect.
Paulinho 8
Davies 8

Poch 10 - played his hand superbly. A team like Chelsea, Real, Bayern... you really can't do a great deal about them scoring three. You just need to adopt a bit of old fashioned management.... try and score more. The Paulinho sub was at exactly the right time, Andros' control had gone to pot. A long way to go this season, but right now, I am feeling very positive about where our club is pointing. Poch has nurtured some terrific young midfielders into the squad, defenders are looking more and more solid. With Bentaleb going to the ACN maybe Schneiderlin is a timely acquisition. I would have said we needed to bring in a big money centre forward, but....

Kane truly did arrive and he was just too good today - I applaud his improvement.

Maybe his "Inter Milan moment"? Honestly, I never thought Bale could be as good as he was for us. And I never thought Kane would be the player he is now. One thing so noticable today was how he could afford time. His shielding for the first goal, his run that actually took him away from the goal... he really did look like he could score when he wants. Form is temporary, and even if he does go on to be the all-time lead goalscorer we need to make sure that we see him through an inevitable drought. But for now, I'm just enjoying the goals, the way he is bringing the team together... and the fact that he is one of our own.

I LOVE YOU SPURS

Yes. Great to see the magic is back for some of you guys today. Enjoy it, you deserve it, it's been a while. And those of you at the game, brilliant. Noisy throughout and it looked like most stayed to the end. Saw on MOTD tweets from two players praising the athmosphere. Given the poison that WHL has been at some points this season, I'd say that todays support was a real turnaround. And on a Europa Thursday too!

Fans 10 - Happy New Year to you all - COYS!

Great performance overall! Did not see that coming.

Thought Kane was the standout. Bentaleb and Kane also impressed me. One moment of madness from Fazio, need to cut out the individual errors still. Superb finishes by Kane, I don't know where he has found this form from but long may it continue.

Paulinho was his usual anoynymous self tbh but that shouldn't detract from the result.

I'm going to put this down to you still being drunk

Most got a 7, which is very good. Fazio's brain fart was poor, only the result saved his blushes. Lloris let three goals in, so cannot give more than a 6. He made one excellent save. Rose was poor in the first twenty minutes. Judging the player's performances, not the result.

Last edited:
Lloris 8 - critical saves are his habit, quality distribution is a habit he's learning fast under Poch

Walker 7 - still looking a bit rusty but imposed himself when it mattered most

Fazio 7 - punished cruelly for one lapse, but a critical touch on the ball to deny Hazard late-on plus a series of headed clearances compensated

Verts 8 - that awesome stretch-tackle is back!

Rose 7 - got turned inside-out by Hazard in the build up to their first (offside) goal but a magnificent tackle second to deny Ivanovitch at the near post plus his goal compensated

Mason 7 - fingers crossed his injury is not too serious

Bentaleb 8 - competed well in midfield and palyed his part in attacking moves

Townsend 7 - some tricky stuff down the flank, crosses might have been better but cooly-taken pen

Chadli 9 - at last we are seeing potential translated into performance. Very well-taken goal

Eriksen 8 - even though not as his most effective he produced a plethora of important little touches, lay-offs and delicate interventions

KANE 10 - SOUND THE TRUMPETS! Step aside Gareth Bale! We have our new SUPER-STAR. His battling for possession was awesome. His control was awesome. His passing was awesome. His shooting was awesome. His goals were ... yes, every single thing he attempted was ****ING AWESOME!

Subs

Dembele 8 - another player who seems to be learning to change his game under Poch, he actually passed the ball forward, accurately and instantly, almost every time he won possession. Ready-made replacement for Mason if needed

Paulinho 7 - looking more competitive these days

Davies - n/a

Agreed with all of that

Those posters who gave Fazio, Rose, Townsend and Dembele scores of 4's and 5's should really have their head examined or be gently taught what a game of football is all about. Of course - all it shows is the pig-headedness of some "supporters" who will blacklist a player from the start and then never admit they were wrong, using every minor slip-up to self-justify their bias. Fazio was outstanding as was Rose. Both made a mistake - Rose in the first goal and Fazio in the second but, hell, did they compensate for those over the remainder of the game. As for Townsend and Dembele, their contribution may not have been spectacular but it was also essential for the final outcome. You do NOT score 5 against a good Chelscum team if even one of your players has a sub-average game.

Lloris 8 Steady and made some good saves at crucial times. Unusually reticent about coming off his line. Distribution much improved

Walker 7 Still a bit rusty and out of position on occasions. His pace does bring something extra to our right flank. He has been missed.

Fazio 8. Would have been a nine apart from his mega blunder leading to their second goal. Imperious in the air and virtually owned Costa.

Verts 8. Solid performance and got under RVPs skin. Looks like he has found the will to defend again. Back to his form of two years ago.

Rose 7. Had a torrid time defending against the brilliant Hazard but never gave up and popped up with a glorious goal while taking a clattering from Cahill.

Mason 7 looked lively but subbed too early to make an impression on the match. Shame. Hope his injury is not too bad.

Bentaleb. 9 Our midfield engine room. Easily outclassed his more senior opponents. His best game for us. Hardly put a foot wrong.

Townsend 6. Dispatched the penalty with aplomb. A real pressure kick at a decisive time in the match. Not his best performance but he offered us width down the right and thus created the space for others.

Eriksen 8 the little maestro ran his socks off. Played some decisive balls to Chadli (just demonstrating the importance of running off the ball) and took Matic away so Kane and Chadli could get at JT and TC. Plan worked brilliantly.

Chadli 9. Easily his best game for us. Strong running at pace and always a threat. Thoroughly deserved his goal. Well done. Keep it up.

Kane 9. MoM performance. Two well taken goals and two assists. The game he came of age. Absolutely fantastic performance, especially good considering it was against the miserly Chel53a defense . And he is one of our own. Couldn't be more proud!!!!!

Dembele 8 his best performance for a long time. Strong in midfield but also passed the ball forward much quicker too. Hopefully this is the springboard to re-start his Spurs career. If we can get back the player we first bought, we are on to a winner , especially covering for Bentaleb during the ACN.

Paulinho 6. I was really worried when I saw him coming on, but he didn't let us down.

Poch 9 whether by accident or design, things really worked out for him in this game. Townsend in for Lamela gave us real width down the right to create the space for others. Dembele strengthened the midfield coming on for the unfortunate Mason, Eriksen ran Matic all over the shop to enable Kane and Chadders to get at their back four, Verts and Fazio are proving a decent central pairing with Hugo the Boss behind. With five home grown players starting we could be on the verge of something special. We now need the right three quality signings and we are good to go.

Lloris 8 .. great save to keep it at 4-2
Walker 7 .. Bit nervy to begin with , giving up possession cheaply but then got into the game .
Vertonghen 7 .. Fighting, snappy, snarling SuperJan .. Switched off on their third goal
Fazio 7.. Great aerial performance and decent on the floor too until his error that led to their second goal.
Rose 7 .. Was up against one of the best players on current form in Europe but did well
Bentaleb 8 .. Gonna miss him whilst he's away at the ACN ...I love his game
Mason 5 ( Dembele 7 ) It would seem that Dembele can adapt to the Poch style of football
Eriksen 7 .. Loads of good movement to go with the deft touches.
Chadli 8 .. With his fellow countryman Hazard being an opponent on the same pitch, he chose to show his own dribbling skills.
Townsend 6 .. My one disappointment - looked out of place in amongst the high quality on the pitch. But was a good penalty.
Kane 9.5 .. Up there with the Berbatovs and Bales

Paulinho 6 ..
Davies 6 ..

Last edited:
Back