• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Making Money From Mobile Catering (flipping burgers ...)

Lovely......no doubt a requirement for winning the games.

I'll hold my nose but it's a fudging disgrace.

I can see more and more countries telling the IOC to fudge themselves in years to come, especially with the economy still in the sink.

The exemptions were granted by HMRC as part of a package of concessions demanded by the International Olympic Committee. They apply to corporation and income tax for non-UK companies and individuals working on the Olympics between 30 March and 8 November this year.

The Olympics was founded on an ideal of participation. Tax is based on the same ideal – that we all play our part. This exemption undermines that ideal and puts the Olympics outside the society that has given enormously to host the Games, we're giving away money that we need to solve our debt crisis and to preserve essential public services.

McDonald's, which expects to sell £3m of food at its 1,500-seat Olympics restaurant (its biggest in the world), acknowledged that the cost of turning down the exemption would be minimal since its revenues from the Games would be less than 0.1 per cent of its annual UK sales.

Well how noble of them to 'waive their exemption then?!!!

The London 2012 tax exemptions granted by HMRC are part of a package of concessions required by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). They also include the provision of 500 chauffeur-driven cars and 40,000 hotel rooms.

The tax breaks, which will apply for seven months, remove the requirement to pay corporation tax and income tax for "non-resident" companies and individuals who take part in "Games-related activities" or provide services to London 2012.

Thus non-UK sponsors and individuals, from athletes to visiting journalists, will not have to pay tax while involved in the Olympics. Nor will the Swiss-based IOC, which is set to earn £2.7bn from the Games.

Last edited:
IOC partners, of which the likes of McDonalds and Visa are part, gave $2bn to the goverment to simply have their name associated with the Olympics, money that was well spent on the infrastructure for the games.

Who gives a brick if they don't pay corporation tax for a few months. We are definitely getting a pretty good deal from these companies regardless of such exceptions

IOC partners, of which the likes of McDonalds and Visa are part, gave $2bn to the goverment to simply have their name associated with the Olympics, money that was well spent on the infrastructure for the games.

Who gives a brick if they don't pay corporation tax for a few months. We are definitely getting a pretty good deal from these companies regardless of such exceptions

On that premise, as a tax paying Londoner! Can I have my tax back over the last two months please.

On that premise, as a tax paying Londoner! Can I have my tax back over the last two months please.

That doesn't make sense. You would have had to have donated an agreed lump sum specifically for your name to be associated with the olympics, and over and above your normal contributions, to think it fair to claim your tax back.

That doesn't make sense. You would have had to have donated an agreed lump sum specifically for your name to be associated with the olympics, and over and above your normal contributions, to think it fair to claim your tax back.

noted.

Back