• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Making Money From Mobile Catering (flipping burgers ...)

I'm this isn't that interesting, but ...

Does anybody do this? Does it really work? Do you get leaned on? Anyone know the crack? Have the chance to buy two mobile outlets (they look alright) but just starting from nowhere ... could be nice little earner though hard work no doubt (that's alright) ... but very green ...

Any advise welcome. I thank you.

I remember watching something about David van day (in a crap 80's band called Dollar) who was making over £200K a year flipping burgers.... if you pick the right venues/events and don't mind hard work and smelling of frying oil, then it is probably worth investigating really well... but it could be a good opportunity

Id imagine the guys at Spurs make a good few quid each season, im sure they do car boots and other events the non work days too

Ill tell you something - if you start toasting the buns you will have my custom - that will make you a great deal of money.

They certainly raked it in within the olympic park, cost me £8 for a pork roast sandwich. Unbelieveable

i expect a large slice went to visa as they were the preferred (only) payment method accepted other than cash in the venue's

I've been thinking about this recently and I think theres a fortune to be had tbh. The mark ups in the food industry are unbelievable.

I'm actually somewhat convinced that people will be willing to pay a small amount more for higher quality food from a burger van. Not saying you need to go down the organic route or anything, but making your own burgers from decent quality beef and not having the stuff sitting in oil for hours would be a start. Also if you make your own you cut out the catering company middle man taking his share.

Also, offering people a choice of buns and rolls would be a great selling point. I love my hot dogs in french stick, always disappointed when I get a standard roll.

If you think of it as a catering business rather than just a burger van I think it would be more successful, but then again theres every chance I'm way off base. Do some market research in the areas you're thinking of putting them

I've been thinking about this recently and I think theres a fortune to be had tbh. The mark ups in the food industry are unbelievable.

I'm actually somewhat convinced that people will be willing to pay a small amount more for higher quality food from a burger van. Not saying you need to go down the organic route or anything, but making your own burgers from decent quality beef and not having the stuff sitting in oil for hours would be a start. Also if you make your own you cut out the catering company middle man taking his share.

Also, offering people a choice of buns and rolls would be a great selling point. I love my hot dogs in french stick, always disappointed when I get a standard roll.

If you think of it as a catering business rather than just a burger van I think it would be more successful, but then again theres every chance I'm way off base. Do some market research in the areas you're thinking of putting them

A friend of a friend of mine does catering at small festivals, but rather than do the usual cheap crap with huge markup she does organic wholesome food all locally sourced from farmers markets with fresh veg and high quality meat. She sells it for a similar amount to the average meal.

Everyone told her she was crazy as the costs of the pitches are absolutely insane and the markups need to be big usually to cover that cost (though minimum allowed prices for soft drinks to stop anyone undercutting the festival promoters is something she couldn't help).

She only made a few sales on the first few days but as the first festival went on sales picked up and on the last day she was out of food and had to go get more at midday. Nowadays she's an absolute hit at any small festival (kates deli I believe it's called) and although she's not rolling in it is pretty well off considering she only has one van. Took a while to get there though as the average festival goer drinking strongbow from breakfast just wants a burger and chips without thinking.

The costs of pitches for mid - large festivals are obscene, that's what kills unique food stalls, as it's too expensive a risk for most people to do anything different.

There's some great caterers around (St Katherines dock food market in London is testament to that) but most could never afford to go to anywhere that's promoted, even ale festivals ring caterers for every penny.

The downside of quality not only means less markup though, more significantly it takes 3 people to man her stall which means more wages.

Food Trucks are becoming more and more popular nowadays here in the US. And the diversity of food on offer is incredible too. Gone are the days of merely burgers and hotdogs, now you can get all-types of cuisine from Mexican, Korean and Indian to Eritrean, Creme Brulees and Cup Cakes. These trucks park at different spots around the city (San Francisco) each day of the week (council-approved), and there are several evening events each week where up to 30 different trucks will park in the same lot and you can get dinner and dessert.

Here's a couple of links for you.... Hope this helps!

http://offthegridsf.com/
http://roaminghunger.com/sf
http://www.foodtruckmaps.com/sf/

Back