• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Bergvall

Back to Bergvall chat.
He's been compared to De Jong. Elegant midfielder, was playing for Ajax at around 19, went to Barca aged about 22, played 146 games for them with 11 goals.
I have a bit of a blindspot with De Jong because of De Ligt and all the other Dutch De XYZ players.

(De Ligt, who was playing for Ajax at around 18, then 87 games for Juve then 44 for Bayern. Centre back. He's now 24.)

Not really sure where I'm going with that, just thought it may be vaguely interesting since he has been compared to De Jong...
We should probably NOT think of him as some attacking playmaker but more realistically as a Bentancur or a box to box skillful reliable chap who can go up and down and retain possession and play with his head up and ghost past challenges to knit the game together, but probably not a Maddison or even more attacking than that, if that makes sense.
I really like De Jong, fantastic player imo.

At 18 he seems very well rounded as a player and could in time develop into various roles perhaps. But my impression (mostly based on reading other people's options) match yours. Skillful, but not a ton of end product yet at least (and not really his role either).

Will probably develop further physically, but already good physical attributes hopefully should allow him to slot into a PL Ange side.

Great skill on the ball, but doesn't usually operate in a direct attacking midfield role. Definitely a profile that would be very useful if he can make the step up and continue to improve.

I really like De Jong, fantastic player imo.

At 18 he seems very well rounded as a player and could in time develop into various roles perhaps. But my impression (mostly based on reading other people's options) match yours. Skillful, but not a ton of end product yet at least (and not really his role either).

Will probably develop further physically, but already good physical attributes hopefully should allow him to slot into a PL Ange side.

Great skill on the ball, but doesn't usually operate in a direct attacking midfield role. Definitely a profile that would be very useful if he can make the step up and continue to improve.

Sounds more competition for bentancur and sarr. Although can also play dm?

Think Bentancur would be the DM option. Perhaps Bergvall could develop into a DM in this system, but doubt that will be where he's first given games/minutes.

If he will be able to directly compete with Sarr and Bentancur next season for that role I don't know, being an option there would be my guess (assuming he doesn't go out on loan).

To me he looks a straight Maddison alternative/cover in the advanced role

Most outstanding young players come through as CMs, just because thats where they can influence the game most at those lower levels. But his skillset screams lockpicking playmaker

Last edited:

Most outstanding young players come through as CMs, just because thats where they can influence the game most at those lower levels. But his skillset screams lockpicking playmaker

Does he get enough goals? Or would that have to be something he works on?

Is he? Didn't look that tall when I saw him play. Maybe Djurgården have a very tall squad. I thought he would be around 1.80 max.

Those articles above say his shooting is not good enough to be a Maddison alternative. He can get into good positions but doesn't hit the target very often. He's not an assist king. Seems more box to box like Sarr or an all-rounder like Bentancur when Bentancur is freed up to roam.
Much like Dembele or Modric would win the ball and beat a player by striding across their line of attack and do the stuff before the assist, rather than the assist or goal.

For perspective, imagine if Bentancur was dropped into the Djurgarden team, he would utterly dominate the Allsvenskanthingy League.

Those articles above say his shooting is not good enough to be a Maddison alternative. He can get into good positions but doesn't hit the target very often. He's not an assist king. Seems more box to box like Sarr or an all-rounder like Bentancur when Bentancur is freed up to roam.
Much like Dembele or Modric would win the ball and beat a player by striding across their line of attack and do the stuff before the assist, rather than the assist or goal.

For perspective, imagine if Bentancur was dropped into the Djurgarden team, he would utterly dominate the Allsvenskanthingy League.

Eriksen wasn't much of a finisher (his stats are skewed by free kicks) and yet was one of the best in the business in that role.

Often quite a lot of overlap in the skillset between more attacking and slightly deeper creative midfielders. More attacking I think Eriksen, Maddison, De Bruyne. #10 types in one way or another. Compared to the deeper Modric, Iniesta, De Jong types.

Often I think the biggest difference comes down to end product. If you have outstanding end product you'll play higher, those situations are just too valuable not to try to get those players there as often as possible. Often that is linked to top quality ball striking technique. That's part of what makes Maddison special, he has that and the dribbling and the vision.

Often those who end up playing deeper lack a bit of that (more extreme) end product. They can still be lockpickers, can still be creative in those roles. But more in deeper/earlier phases of play.

Will depend on how his end product develops imo. For me it's too early to start saying with any real confidence that he will be this or that type of player. If he lacks and continues to lack the more extreme end of the ball striking aspects I think a slightly deeper, box to box type role is more likely though.

This is the player I was thinking about too. He seems to have the skillset to be our new Modric, only taller and stronger. How amazing would that be.

You guys are hyping him up WAY too much! Imo, he'll just about make the match day squad as it is. He's got talent, but he won't go straight into the team and revolutionise our midfield.

You guys are hyping him up WAY too much! Imo, he'll just about make the match day squad as it is. He's got talent, but he won't go straight into the team and revolutionise our midfield.

Wouldn't be surprised if we loaned him out in the summer.

But i know nothing really about him. So would be happy if he is ready to challenge for a place in the team.

Back