• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

London Bridge and Borough terrorist incident

Listened to the latest Sam Harris podcast. A conversation with Sarah Haider on leaving Islam and related topics. Quite interesting and relevant.

Very little has changed in my view. The latest two attacks are not at all surprising. This is not some changing trend.

Except that we've had three attacks in as many months, compared to 2 (?) in the preceding 15 years. I'm not saying that action shouldn't have been taken sooner, however at the same it's hardly surprising that it was signalled following recent events. Past errors can only be rectified going forward.

You're quite consistently not answering questions on what you actually want done. Someone returns and there is some concern regarding their activity abroad, but nothing has been proved. What do you think should happen to that person?

I am telling you I think should be done to collect as much information to make it easier to identify.

If nothing is proved they should be allowed to carry on their way of course, but thats not to say that measures should not be put in place to make sure we know more about people travelling to high risk areas in order to make that judgement call more accurate.

And also I will maintain that someone going on a programme proclaiming to be a Jihadi on a programme called my Jihadi neighbour who is also spouting death to the west and is reported to be attempted radicalisation is giving you every reason to make more action, what do you want a road map?

Some CCTV of the attackers stabbing a man then getting shot is all over social media, the Police did not fudge about

Its a crazy one minute video - so much happening. The guy who gets jumped by the three blokes with knives was lucky to be able to get up alive. Also the one that charged the police must have taken a few bullets. My overwhelming thought was that they seemed a bunch of badly prepared idiots with knives coming to a gun fight. Fake suicide vests and kitchen knives, nice one jihadi jackasses!

Except that we've had three attacks in as many months, compared to 2 (?) in the preceding 15 years. I'm not saying that action shouldn't have been taken sooner, however at the same it's hardly surprising that it was signalled following recent events. Past errors can only be rectified going forward.

Also not surprising that it's signaled right before an election...

I am telling you I think should be done to collect as much information to make it easier to identify.

If nothing is proved they should be allowed to carry on their way of course, but thats not to say that measures should not be put in place to make sure we know more about people travelling to high risk areas in order to make that judgement call more accurate.

Ok. So no detainment without proof. You will know that some terrorists will escape your suggested intelligence net and some attacks will still happen?

And how far are you willing to go tracking people going to low risk areas in case they're just trying to bypass that monitoring?

Say you're heading to Dubrovnik next month. You could be sneaking off to Syria through Greece. How tightly should intelligence services track you?

And also I will maintain that someone going on a programme proclaiming to be a Jihadi on a programme called my Jihadi neighbour who is also spouting death to the west and is reported to be attempted radicalisation is giving you every reason to make more action, what do you want a road map?

No. I want you to state what you actually want done in a case like this to prevent a truck and knife style terror attack.

Also not surprising that it's signaled right before an election...

Really not of the greatest concern to me, along as it is done. It may have been right before an election, but it was also right after a third attack in as many months, ie a massive escalation of the problem. I see no issue whatsoever in a revision of the current approach being signalled under such circumstances, election or no election.

No. I want you to state what you actually want done in a case like this to prevent a truck and knife style terror attack.

I realise that this question wasn't directed my way, but this takes us back to the beginning of the conversation. If it is correct that he was openly 'praying' to the flag of ISIS in a London park, spouting hate and extremism or some similar such circumstance, then I would fully expect him or anybody doing similar to be arrested and charged with incitement to terrorism, or something along those lines. Preferably with a much extended prison sentence to follow.

Last edited:
its three in a couple of months yes, but its seven this year so far, only slightly ahead the average annual rate since 2000

it's way below the average of the 90's though, which was one every two weeks

When it comes to terrorism I'm not sure stats are the best way of evaluating an extremely complex issue. It barely works for football FFS.

I would detain them under the mental health act.

Saying you are A Jihadi and you want death to the west is the same as someone saying "I am going to touch kids unless someone stops me", does not mean they have but they have said it and even without proof of any touching they would be sectioned under the mental health act.

That would be my loop hole, judge them to not be of a decent mental state

Saying you are A Jihadi and you want death to the west is the same as someone saying "I am going to touch kids unless someone stops me", does not mean they have but they have said it and even without proof of any touching they would be sectioned under the mental health act.

A perfectly accurate way of describing someone who thinks like that IMO. Complete nutters, the lot of them.

As far as I know there are pretty strict criteria and procedures to be followed in order to get someone sectioned - and to keep them sectioned. And for very good reason. To do what you are suggesting would probably require some legislative changes. and could be a dangerous slippery slope.
Plus assuming this were possible, it would male prosecution of those caught planning terrorist events more difficult as there would be a potential mental health loophole that could be invoked.

As ever there are no easy answers.

As far as I know there are pretty strict criteria and procedures to be followed in order to get someone sectioned - and to keep them sectioned. And for very good reason. To do what you are suggesting would probably require some legislative changes. and could be a dangerous slippery slope.
Plus assuming this were possible, it would male prosecution of those caught planning terrorist events more difficult as there would be a potential mental health loophole that could be invoked.

As ever there are no easy answers.

Yeh you may be right, but I was just asked what I would do, so thats what I would do.

Someone walking around parks and outside buildings wearing a white bed sheet, trying to get children brainwashed into believing where they live is evil and promote violence and death, I would make it stick if it was my job to.

Check this out, some idiot ran over a bunch of worshippers leaving the finsbury park mosque
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40322960
What a fudging macaron. Still I suppose it's inevitable that there would be some copycat attacks, although I bet few people thought the first would be on Muslims.
Surely the MP for that area must be to blame. The disparity between religious and not religious in the area is just too stark, etc, etc....

Is this guys actions not just the same as people storming the Kensington Town Hall with their anger for the tower block fire?

Is this guys actions not just the same as people storming the Kensington Town Hall with their anger for the tower block fire?
...and beating up a volunteer.

For a country built on a stiff upper lip and an unflinching resolve, we've become pretty fudging good at building a mob mentality and jumping in two-footed.

Back