• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Liverpool will have a better team than us.

At no time did I claim to have inside knowledge of the Moutinho deals or any other one.
My point is that you do not know how close or realistic that potential deal ever was

I just pointed out, that we often spend a lot on mediocrity and balk at spending more on more.
Paulinho, Soldado, Vertonghen, Lloris in the last two summer windows. Where's the money coming from for £40m players - please don't tell me you believe in a six year loan from a Spanish bank?

Sigi and Dempsey were poor signings last year, Levy has previously spent big money on Bent and Bentley.
You cannot pick one or two cases to prove your point, you have to look at the whole picture. On those four, only Bentley is a clear flop and a waste of money. Last seasons buys both weighed in with significant goals, Sigurdsson improved as the season went on and may well prove his worth. Dempsey also has been a huge asset marketing the club in the US. Bent, I never was a fan, but the resale fee was still high. Disappointments, yes, bad business - only Bentley. And I reiterate, four questionable deals over a time span of Modric, Lloris, Sandro, Vertonghen, Dembele, Van Der Vaart. Only just after Berbatov, Bale.

Levy wins the battles but loses the war - in all these years in which in most we spend more than Arsenal, don't you think we should have finished above them once? [ I know they spend more on wages, but we should have managed once.
Definitely should have finished above Arsenal at least once. But We have been within a whisker and I would put the blame more with a lack of bottle from the players, poor management from previous coaches and maybe even the negativity from the WHL crowd last season ahead of chairmanship. Levy has to take some responsibility but isn't alone.

For instance had we bought Cazorla last year instead of Sigi and Dempsey [ same money ] we would have done.
Sigi and Dempsey were poor signings last year, Levy has previously spent big money on Bent and Bentley.
You cannot pick one or two cases to prove your point, you have to look at the whole picture. Cazorla wanted to come too, did he?

I am merely pointing out , the same thing could easily happen this year, we lose out on the true quality, which our rival snaps up.
Losing Willian to Liverpool, yep could be a huge blow. But they are much much more desperate than us now to spin the wheel on a player, no guarantee he will be a success, and their panic will send the price up.

Levy has made more than a few mistakes. List them please. I am quoting done deals, players who we can see have worn the shirt. You want to claim we could have signed Moutinho, Cazorla, Neymar? Prove it.He is has not been a winner Trophies your only barometer here? What value the consistent high finishes, nothing? and thus far has not shown the required good judgment to be one.

Selling Bale for a world record fee, was a once only chance. Next weeks lottery numbers please Mystic Meg I just don't trust him not to blow it, not because his motives are wrong, but just because he is not good enough.

One of my pet hates are the negative idiots who do not shut up when I'm watching a game at WHL and spend 90 minutes spouting their know it all, ridiculous drivel. I hope and pray I never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever sit anywhere near you at WHL.

whatever "mistakes" Levy has made...I would not have any other Chairman at Spurs right now.

Our first choice 11 is better than Liverpool's. Our full squad is much better than Liverpool's.
Liverpool will be at least 6 points below us.

If Liverpool keep Suarez and get Willian, they will have a strong first XI, especially in the forward positions.

However their midfield depends heavily on an aging Gerrard and while Lucas is an ok DM, I see him more as a heel snapper like Parker, he isn't a beast like Sandro or Capoue.

Coutinho, Suarez and Willian will create a lot of chances, but I think their defence can be got at. I think they will be similar to last season in that they will spanner a lot of brick teams but struggle against quality just because they will be out-muscled and over powered.

THey will definately be a threat next season and I fancy them to be in the mix for top 4 but maybe just falling short.

Their first XI if they get Willian and keep Suarez:

...............Willian.....Sturridge.....Suarez

....................Coutinho....Gerrard
..............................Lucas

........Cissokho...Toure....Agger.....Johnson

...........................Mignolet

A very strong looking team, apart from maybe defence which is just above average. They're only a couple of injuries and suspensions away from playing very average players in key positions though.

Our first XI (dependent on Bale who if he goes I'm sure will be replaced with someone very good):

........Chadli.......Soldado.....Bale/replacement

.......................Dembele

................Sandro.....Paulinho

Rose....Vertonghen.....Kaboul.......Walker

.......................Lloris

Unlike pool however, i'd fancy our replacements for key positions to be a lot better and not to result in such a drop-off in quality (i.e. Capoue for midfield positions, Dawson for CB). I think we will strengthen further however.

The interesting thing for me if they get Willian and keep Suarez isn't how worried we should be but how worried Man U and Arsenal should be.

I don't buy that Man U are shoe-ins for the top 4. I watched them against Wigan in the community shield and it was pretty turgid stuff. RVP scored 2 out of nothing with probably the only chances they created all game.

Their team on paper is pretty average but Fergie obviously seemed to always add that 10% extra. No so sure Moyes will get that, at least not straight away. They haven't strengthened at all. I feel there's only so long Arsenal can keep nicking top 4 without strengthening too. Their squad looks paper-thin now and not much quality in there other than a couple of players.

Three of the top 7 last season have strengthened significantly this summer and Chelsea didn't really need to squad-wise and have brought back the special one.

Top 4 next year of Chelsea/City followed by us and pool with Man U and scum frozen out? Is it really possible? Not too sure myself but probably more possible than anyone would give much thought to....

The more I think about it, the more I see our struggles for top 4 becoming more of a battle with pool than with the goons...

call me crazy but,

Pool under Rodgers are becoming a extremely dangerous side, and as a club, have a history of actually tending to the back 4 making sure it's strong as opposed to what is generally speaking Wenger's weakest point. That coupled with the continuity of sticking with Rodgers who's done well to impose his style on the club could be huge for Pool. With wenger only getting older, I'd honestly expect him to be there for only a few more years at most. Then what? Another side of it is that Pool won't be afraid to spend as the ar** have.

If we want to overcome all this we need to start aiming for the title, not just top 4. We need to have the mindset of title contenders, not 4th best. That mindset is huge in not choking towards the end of the season.

The more I think about it, the more I see our struggles for top 4 becoming more of a battle with pool than with the goons...

call me crazy but,

Pool under Rodgers are becoming a extremely dangerous side, and as a club, have a history of actually tending to the back 4 making sure it's strong as opposed to what is generally speaking Wenger's weakest point. That coupled with the continuity of sticking with Rodgers who's done well to impose his style on the club could be huge for Pool. With wenger only getting older, I'd honestly expect him to be there for only a few more years at most. Then what? Another side of it is that Pool won't be afraid to spend as the ar** have.

If we want to overcome all this we need to start aiming for the title, not just top 4. We need to have the mindset of title contenders, not 4th best. That mindset is huge in not choking towards the end of the season.

I agree. I think we have to see ourselves as equals to the top clubs.

I think we should all stop being so worried and start going to old trafford thinking why on earth should Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele, Soldado and co be afraid of playing Wellbeck, 40 year old Giggs, Cleverley, Jones and Valencia and co????

Why should we automatically assume we will be so inferior to Emirates Marketing Project when two of their key buys are behind two of our key buys for their respective national teams?

I think we need to get rid of this loser-mentality where we will be happy and greatful if we scrape 4th best.

One of my pet hates are the negative idiots who do not shut up when I'm watching a game at WHL and spend 90 minutes spouting their know it all, ridiculous drivel. I hope and pray I never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever sit anywhere near you at WHL.

One of my pet hates is , fans who after all these years , see everything through Spurs tinted glasses. Every player we sign or come up through the ranks , is automatically elevated .

Palacios who paid £17m was a world beater, when I questioned his ability, I got similar abuse . " other clubs would love to have him "

Dempsey was a cra p buy, Sigi does not look too good so far. lloris is another player who has been elevated, was he really so good last season ?

I am not saying he is not good I am just saying the jury is still because, he was decent last season , fast at coming off his lines, did not make any brilliant saves and made a couple of mistakes, so too early to say.

Just saying players and signings are fantastic does not make it happen.

Levy is better than Sugar, does not make him good enough.

He has failed in both main objectives. Becoming a CL club and moving into a new stadium . He wastes money on the wrong players and wasted money and more importantly time on a silly bid for Stratford

My concern is , he will always feck up , talk a good game, but always screw up in the end.

For those who say " I would not have another Chairman " I would rather have had one and have one who does not have the endless sagas of last minute window panics and who had at least started building the new stadium now .

All the minor so called negotiating victories , count for very little.

Bottom line, I hope I am wrong and that he has changed, but I just think he will always fall short/ screw up.

If we buy Lamela and keep Bale I will take it all back , if we buy Lamela and sell Bale I will be satisfied.

If we do neither sell Bale and do not buy a suitable replacement ,I think it will be another year of underachievement and we will have spent a lot,

Of course you will find a way to elevate it to a great achievement "all the new players will be the envy of other clubs and would walk into their teams"

Last edited:
One of my pet hates is , fans who after all these years , see everything through Spurs tinted glasses. Every player we sign or come up through the ranks , is automatically elevated .

Palacios who paid £17m was a world beater, when I questioned his ability, I got similar abuse . " other clubs would love to have him "

He has failed in both main objectives. Becoming a CL club and moving into a new stadium . He wastes money on the wrong players and wasted money and more importantly time on a silly bid for Stratford

My concern is , he will always feck up , talk a good game, but always screw up in the end.

For those who say " I would not have another Chairman " I would rather have had one and have one who does not have the endless sagas of last minute window panics and who had at least started building the new stadium now .

Of course you will find a way to elevate it to a great achievement "all the new players will be the envy of other clubs and would walk into their teams"

Sorry for quoting only part of your post but there was a lot of crap to get through.

First of all, I'd say I agree to a point that a lot Spurs fans have a tendency to build up pretty much every signing. They are all expected to be the missing piece. It's partly just the hope and anticipation that is good to have. But too much can be expected, and personally I feel it comes with an obsession with working out a first XI. The premier league isn't like that, it's a squad game and sometimes you can undervalue the role fringe players have. Without Dempsey and Sigurdsson's contribution last season, I do not think we would have reached 72 points. All part of what's known as a team effort. But write them off for false promises, loyal supporter that you are.

Palacios - how on earth is it in one line you manage to come up with so much crap?
1) his fee was nowhere near £17m, closer to £12m
2) show me where the majority of fans were claiming he was a "world beater"
3) you almost certainly got abuse because you post negative, tedious rubbish

And we're you justified in your initial judgement of Palacios? Were you really? Because I remember his Tottenham career as following:

* Tottenham struggling, and new boss Redknapp publicly acknowledges that we have a "soft belly" and explains that he is bringing Palacios in to address this
* Palacios gets storming reviews in his first season and continues to be a real star until a family tragedy
* Returns half the player he was and never really regains his form
* However, puts in an immense shift to knock Milan out of the Champions League.

If you want to find a big money flop to justify your claims that we buy overpriced egos then why go after a player who was excelling at the club until terrible circumstances beyond his control? A player who was always fully committed and held so much integrity, on and off the pitch? And can you at least get your facts right?

Stratford - hmmm, interesting that you drag that one up when you started a thread about Liverpool. I'll not say here whether I think it was a good idea to bid or not, but again - unless you have access to Levys diary and finances, and know how much of a drain that was on his time and energy, how on earth are in in a position to make a judgement on how much time and money was wasted? Again, negative speculative points are your speciality.

As for your closing line "Of course you will find....", nah I'll post what I want thanks, not what you tell me too or what you think I will.

Have to say you got me on Lloris though. Indeed very unproven, jury must remain out. Terrible waste of money. Sack the board.

Sorry for quoting only part of your post but there was a lot of crap to get through.

First of all, I'd say I agree to a point that a lot Spurs fans have a tendency to build up pretty much every signing. They are all expected to be the missing piece. It's partly just the hope and anticipation that is good to have. But too much can be expected, and personally I feel it comes with an obsession with working out a first XI. The premier league isn't like that, it's a squad game and sometimes you can undervalue the role fringe players have. Without Dempsey and Sigurdsson's contribution last season, I do not think we would have reached 72 points. All part of what's known as a team effort. But write them off for false promises, loyal supporter that you are.

Palacios - how on earth is it in one line you manage to come up with so much crap?
1) his fee was nowhere near £17m, closer to £12m
2) show me where the majority of fans were claiming he was a "world beater"
3) you almost certainly got abuse because you post negative, tedious rubbish

And we're you justified in your initial judgement of Palacios? Were you really? Because I remember his Tottenham career as following:

* Tottenham struggling, and new boss Redknapp publicly acknowledges that we have a "soft belly" and explains that he is bringing Palacios in to address this
* Palacios gets storming reviews in his first season and continues to be a real star until a family tragedy
* Returns half the player he was and never really regains his form
* However, puts in an immense shift to knock Milan out of the Champions League.

If you want to find a big money flop to justify your claims that we buy overpriced egos then why go after a player who was excelling at the club until terrible circumstances beyond his control? A player who was always fully committed and held so much integrity, on and off the pitch? And can you at least get your facts right?

Stratford - hmmm, interesting that you drag that one up when you started a thread about Liverpool. I'll not say here whether I think it was a good idea to bid or not, but again - unless you have access to Levys diary and finances, and know how much of a drain that was on his time and energy, how on earth are in in a position to make a judgement on how much time and money was wasted? Again, negative speculative points are your speciality.

As for your closing line "Of course you will find....", nah I'll post what I want thanks, not what you tell me too or what you think I will.

Have to say you got me on Lloris though. Indeed very unproven, jury must remain out. Terrible waste of money. Sack the board.
I will start with the last sentence, which not only misinterprets what I said, but contradicts your first sentence.

I did not say he was a " waste of money " I said he was still unproven, mainly because he has not had the time to prove himself.

That is a more sensible approach than the response you have made , which is to basically say "you got me on Lloris, how can anyone not be entirety sure that he is anything other than brilliant"

It was the same type of responses I got when I questioned Palacios' ability. Yes he may have added steel when we were desperate, but he was never going to be good enough and his currently struggling to get into Stoke's first team. Palacios was recommended to Brum by Wenger, who let him go for nothing t, that should tell you something about his ability.

The without Sigi and Dempsey point, that we would not have got 72 points is facile. It is like saying without Lloris or Friedel we'd have let a lot of goals in.

All players contribute something, the question is, is it enough and could we have found someone [ realistically ] who could have contributed more.

You need to think things out a little more carefully next time.

I find it strange that Johnson is in there over Walker. They are virtually the same player, both inconsistent defensively, both better going forward and with Walker's pace he has the better basic tools to become a better defender.

I still think we have the better squad. My XI would be:

Lloris
Walker
Vertonghen
Kaboul or Agger - before Kaboul's injury I honestly feel there wasn't much between them.
Enrique or BAE - Both aren't the greatest LB, Enrique has the pace but BAE is more skillful so its a hard call
Sandro
Paulinho
Coutinho
Lennon
Suarez
Soldado

So depending on style of play some would pick Enqrique or Agger over Kaboul etc but for it could potentially mean 8 Spurs and only 3 Liverpool if not.

Have a large pack of tigers eaten Bale?

ilori vs chirechesh ... AVB would know from being Portugese I guess, but nevertheless since both Rodgers and AVB's high line defence style is the same, it would be interesting to compare both players. but does anyone know enough about these two? I've never heard of them til this transfer season.

Liverpool are improving but we've just put the foot down, gone up a gear and shot off into the distance!!

It makes me chuckle that people feel the need to bring these threads back up, it's obvious that CERTAIN posters (not NECESSARILY the poster that started this thread) have little to no idea, but love having their voices heard. Even before we signed the latest 3, or 4, or 17 players, our squad was twice that of Liverpool. Hence them not finishing near us for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Back