• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's Plan

Dembele was doing well, then leapt arm-first into a challenge and was lucky not to get a second yellow. Shortly after, he was hooked. Probably also due to his age/fitness etc.

I thought there were loads of good elements in our play. Poch said after it was too slow at times. I thought we should have been more determined/energetic to get the 3rd and only then play keep ball

Dembele looked like he did in the F.A. cup semi final last year, a mistake waiting to happen.

Tonight? Nah. He had a very good match overall. He was hooked in case the ref made another mistake.
Thought he looked riled up after the booking and was trying to impress himself on the game more than usual. Would like to see him do that more tbh.

Im with Chich, Dembele was clearly a red waiting to happen.

The two fouls that lead to his yellow werent fouls, and were terrible refereeing, but it clearly got to him and he lost his composure IMO.

I would have taken him off sooner.

What the players that are failing what to leave, well on they go.
Maybe they will find out like toby, Moose and Rose did in the summer that all the paper talk is just that paper talk.
Until they start to show some desire to win for spurs I don't give care if they stay or go.
And some of those in this squad don't have it.
Technically we are good enough, mentally I'm not.

Been saying this for a while and got shouted down for it.

Of course it didn’t but that won’t stop people foaming from the mouth, all rationale goes out of the window.

They love it.

Dembele looked like he did in the F.A. cup semi final last year, a mistake waiting to happen.

He is finished as a top player and he was a liability last night, spent most of the time running around like a bull in a china shop.

He is finished as a top player and he was a liability last night, spent most of the time running around like a bull in a china shop.

He had some very good reasons to feel aggrieved last night, but nonetheless he seemed to fly off the handle more than was wise and should have got the message (rightly or wrongly) about using his arms). It reminded me of when he came back from injury last season, he seemed overly fired up when it really wasn’t necessary - and then he went on and played some storming games like Juventus away.
I still think there’s a decent player there for us if his injuries can be managed, but equally this will undoubtedly be his last season with us and we need some succession planning.

He had some very good reasons to feel aggrieved last night, but nonetheless he seemed to fly off the handle more than was wise and should have got the message (rightly or wrongly) about using his arms). It reminded me of when he came back from injury last season, he seemed overly fired up when it really wasn’t necessary - and then he went on and played some storming games like Juventus away.
I still think there’s a decent player there for us if his injuries can be managed, but equally this will undoubtedly be his last season with us and we need some succession planning.

He lost his head, the ref/players/situation got to him and you could see the mist was falling over his eyes.

To be honest I think it happened with half the team, its like something got to them.

And I think it was the ref, who was appalling. He allowed PSV all the gamesmanship they liked, fell for it all, and penalised us - and the players lost their composure.

Im not blaming the ref for us losing, I think we should have over come the circumstances, but I do think he was a major factor in us being off colour

The refereeing team were appalling in the PSV game.
In the end, their incompetence did affect the scoreline.
Saw it again last night in the Arsenal ropey game. shirt pulling by the last Arsenal defender waved away, ridiculous!

It will happen again this weekend for sure!

I actually thought the ref in the Arsenal game was much better than ours. He was far stricter and wasnt letting players get away with anywhere near as much.

In part it made the game a little disjointed, but only because he kept stopping at every time one of the players was trying it on (usually the Sporting players, who were very PSV in their approach IMO.)

I liked him, was saying how I would have much preferred him in our game.

Damned by faint praise! Comes to mind.

Referring is a total lottery.
We need VAR and two on-field referees in each half or something along these lines.
We should have been 3-1 up and the pressure was off. This may have lessened the pressure for Hugo doing his infamous superhero impression.

You keep pointing to VAR as a solution - but must remember it is still, in its current guise, at the whim of the on field ref.

If that ref is brick, VAR isnt going to save the day.

For me the VAR ref needs to be able to send decisions down the line, needs to be able to award things in play - and the onfield ref needs to be part of a team rather than the single point of failure.

For me the VAR ref needs to be able to send decisions down the line, needs to be able to award things in play - and the onfield ref needs to be part of a team rather than the single point of failure.

It looked like this was happening to a great degree in the Seria A matches iv watched.
Maybe the Italians have sussed it.
Everything about UK referees at the very top is substandard IMO.
They cannot even keep up physically eg Martin Atkinson.

Have to admit I havent looked closely into how VAR is working in domestic leagues, if they are more in line with what Ive promoted Id be delighted - and will see if I can catch some games

Back on topic.

What do people think Levy's plan is?

1. Organic growth - Using the current system of financial thriftiness and the new stadiums uplift in turnover.
  2. Seek the major investment that ultimately may well lead to the club being sold to big money owners e.g. City.

He has already made us saleable enough that he could have cashed in to a massive profit. Years ago, really.

Instead he has continued to invest in the clubs future, grow the business, develop the team - I see no reason to believe anything other than he will continue to do so.

Despite popular belief I believe he will spend more, as we can afford more, and over time we will really push on.

I also suspect he runs us in the way he does because he has half an eye on the ass falling out of football finances, given its unsustainable levels, at which point we will be sitting pretty.

Organic growth isn't an obstacle to selling the club. It would make it easier!

It's more a question of whether and when Tavistock wants to exit than Levy's personal plan. Tavistock is heavily diversified and there's no reason to think that Lewis wouldn't cash in at £2bn, which is the figure which usually crops up.

The optimum situation for Levy is probably one where new money comes in, Tavistock exits, he cashes in most of his holding at the (assumed) peak of the market, but remains chairman with a reasonable stake in the new entity. And he might well be in a position to scupper talks which would go in a different direction.

Organic growth isn't an obstacle to selling the club. It would make it easier!

It's more a question of whether and when Tavistock wants to exit than Levy's personal plan. Tavistock is heavily diversified and there's no reason to think that Lewis wouldn't cash in at £2bn, which is the figure which usually crops up.

The optimum situation for Levy is probably one where new money comes in, Tavistock exits, he cashes in most of his holding at the peak of the market, but remains chairman with a reasonable stake in the new entity. And he might well be in a position to scupper talks which would go in a different direction.

Can’t see anyone paying £2B for a club that has limited return on investment

The idea of selling and staying on as Chairman occurred to me, point being - I think he loves doing it and its more than just business to him.

Im not saying he wouldnt sell, particularly at that sort of cash. More that he has done enough to already be able to cash in and make some serious profit - and yet shows no signs of a desire to do so. Hence my thinking its more likely he is in it for the long run.

Back