• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's 4 Catastrophic Mistakes

But this misses a point. Failing and having to sack the manager but in the meantime having passed the ball, tried to attack etc is an outcome which, whilst not ideal, is part of football.

However our last 3 managers have played painfully dull, defensive, counter-attacking football and failed.

If you appoint a defensive manager at Spurs he'd better damn well succeed and win things.

I'd prefer an attacking manager and finish between 3rd and 6th each season, than have a defensive manager who finishes 2nd every year

It's not an option to be able to just finish 2nd every season rather than 3rd to 6th but if there was I'm certain Levy would take it! Great for the financial spreadsheets to have guaranteed CL each season no doubt.

I don't accept the view that Conte failed considering our league position in his first season coupled with the expectations / circumstances and where we were when we parted ways but I don't doubt both seasons were a failure by his standards.

It kind of ties in with @Bishop 's point so I won't reply to both posts but I completely accept that neither Jose or Conte were great fits for the club and we obviously fit an up and comer profile. Everyone knows this now but the fault doesn't lie at the foot of the successful manager, we'd no doubt make Ancelotti look like a loser too. The players evidently can't handle the expectations and it's easier to move the manager on etc

That's why I'll have hope if we end up getting someone like Brendan Rodgers, despite being a bit of a prick he's got a point to prove. Jose and Conte didn't as they could happily take the wages and the year or two of mediocrity and inevitably get a better job shortly afterwards.

I only entered this thread to suggest that during Jose before the league cup final was a bobbins decision not having to lay out why them joining us was profitable for them despite us not being at the level required.

1) Sacking Poch
2) Appointing Mourinho
3) Appointing Santo
4) Appointing Conte

How the fudge can we go from 2nd best in Europe to mid table in England in 3.5 years? Abject failure at the top in this vital area. He needs to fall on his sword now

Sacking poch wasn't catastrophic, it hurt like fudge but i can understand why it was done.

Appointing jose, yes awful decision.
What was even worse not realising that Eriksen, toby, jan, dele et al were for one reason or other done at the club.
I hope I'm wrong but a little bit of me thinks that's because he wanted to prove poch wrong.

Appointing conte wasn't a mistake, the mistake was realising that when he went he was going to open up wounds, wounds that tbh our dressing room can't handle.
Anyone really want to still argue that he was wrong?

Appointing conte wasn't a mistake, the mistake was realising that when he went he was going to open up wounds, wounds that tbh our dressing room can't handle.

The mistake was not sacking Conte during the World Cup break in January. It was pretty clear by then he had no intention of sticking around after the end of the season. He should have been got rid of then and a proper caretaker found; or (even better) a permanent appointment made.

The mistake was not sacking Conte during the World Cup break in January. It was pretty clear by then he had no intention of sticking around after the end of the season. He should have been got rid of then and a proper caretaker found; or (even better) a permanent appointment made.

Yes, a sane version of GB's rant would be

- Not letting Poch go after CL final (some kind of mutual consent)
- Jose I still see a point and if not for Covid I suspect he would would have scrapped us a trophy somewhere
- Yes, Nuno was a mistake
- Not parting with Conte during WC break (your point)

The hilarious part is people think these things are disasters .. they are mistakes and bad ones but disaster is a bit OTT

1) Sacking Poch
2) Appointing Mourinho
3) Appointing Santo
4) Appointing Conte

How the fudge can we go from 2nd best in Europe to mid table in England in 3.5 years? Abject failure at the top in this vital area. He needs to fall on his sword now
Sacking Conte is far worse than appointing him. We’ve sleepwalked ourselves from probable Europa League and possible Champions League next season to no Europe at all just with that one decision. The budget for the new man next season is now significantly smaller as a result.

However bigger than all of those 4 things is the total neglect he has overseen in our recruitment department, trying to operate it on a shoestring. That has seriously harmed the football club and will take a while to put right (and I’m not at all convinced he will actually put it right)

Last edited:
Sacking poch wasn't catastrophic, it hurt like fudge but i can understand why it was done.

Appointing jose, yes awful decision.
What was even worse not realising that Eriksen, toby, jan, dele et al were for one reason or other done at the club.
I hope I'm wrong but a little bit of me thinks that's because he wanted to prove poch wrong.

That’s called having no coherent recruitment strategy. We couldn’t sell any of them because we had no idea who out there might be decent replacements for them. Everything is completely reactive when it comes to the football side of things at Spurs.

- Jose I still see a point and if not for Covid I suspect he would would have scrapped us a trophy somewhere

The hilarious part is people think these things are disasters .. they are mistakes and bad ones but disaster is a bit OTT
If not for Covid?…. Lol… how about perhaps if not for the chairman sacking him 5 days before a cup final?

1) Sacking Poch
2) Appointing Mourinho
3) Appointing Santo
4) Appointing Conte

At least he hangs about when the going gets tough...

Not sacking Jol sooner. Sentimentality aside, we were in serious decline and like Poch he should have been dismissed the summer prior to his eventual sacking.

Not signing some of the emerging talent we were interested in over the last 5-10 years, but instead wasting our money on "proven" players that turned out to be brick.
Can't believe he waited until half time.

Last edited:
1) Sacking Poch
2) Appointing Mourinho
3) Appointing Santo
4) Appointing Conte

1) Doing away with the DoF model to keep Poch happy
2) Allowing Poch to do that stupid book
3) Not getting rid of Poch after the CL Final
4) Allowing Poch to waste a huge chunk of money on Ndombele and GLC

And we were never second best in Europe, fluking our way to a final doesn't make us a great team.

Going out of business would be a catastrophe, these are just bumps in the road.

1) Doing away with the DoF model to keep Poch happy
2) Allowing Poch to do that stupid book
3) Not getting rid of Poch after the CL Final
4) Allowing Poch to waste a huge chunk of money on Ndombele and GLC

And we were never second best in Europe, fluking our way to a final doesn't make us a great team.

We were way better than the muck we lost in the final to, bottled it.

A) trying to fool the fans with his constant commentary of building a team to win things.
B) trying to be too clever in the market and seeing the obvious lack in the team and urgency required.
C) making the same mistakes over and over again.
D) selling berbatov and keane and replacing them with fraizer-campbell only to sack Jol like it was his fault.

I even understand why he got in Conte and Mourinho ... he thought he would get winners in and presto, no money required.

A) trying to fool the fans with his constant commentary of building a team to win things.
B) trying to be too clever in the market and seeing the obvious lack in the team and urgency required.
C) making the same mistakes over and over again.
D) selling berbatov and keane and replacing them with fraizer-campbell only to sack Jol like it was his fault.

wasn’t it Ramos who lost Keane and Berbatov?

Back