• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Levy's 4 Catastrophic Mistakes

Correct
In either case it was a madman decision

to announce sacking Jol after selling them, yes, that would have been ridiculous ;)

Ramos deserved the sack, had his priorities all wrong, rested King for league games so he could play him in the fudging cups

he did get Pav too, who was actually pretty good

to announce sacking Jol after selling them, yes, that would have been ridiculous ;)

Ramos deserved the sack, had his priorities all wrong, rested King for league games so he could play him in the fudging cups

he did get Pav too, who was actually pretty good

But pav and FC were not a patch on them two upfront

But pav and FC were not a patch on them two upfront

Of course, they were two of the best in the game, Berbs went to a bigger club and one of the best managers ever and Keane went completely fudging bonkers, can only assume he wanted to get his agent a nice bonus.

The longer term replacements were Crouch and Defoe who fired us into the CL for the first time, worked for us in the end.

Sacking Conte is far worse than appointing him. We’ve sleepwalked ourselves from probable Europa League and possible Champions League next season to no Europe at all just with that one decision. The budget for the new man next season is now significantly smaller as a result.

However bigger than all of those 4 things is the total neglect he has overseen in our recruitment department, trying to operate it on a shoestring. That has seriously harmed the football club and will take a while to put right (and I’m not at all convinced he will actually put it right)

We didn't sack him

1) Doing away with the DoF model to keep Poch happy
2) Allowing Poch to do that stupid book
3) Not getting rid of Poch after the CL Final
4) Allowing Poch to waste a huge chunk of money on Ndombele and GLC

And we were never second best in Europe, fluking our way to a final doesn't make us a great team.
Do you REALLY think they are his 4 biggest mistakes?

Do you REALLY think they are his 4 biggest mistakes?
There may be a little bit of winding GB up in there :p

I do think getting rid of the DoF model was a major mistake though. The right person in that role and the proper structures would already be in place instead of looking to put them in place now.

There may be a little bit of winding GB up in there :p

I do think getting rid of the DoF model was a major mistake though. The right person in that role and the proper structures would already be in place instead of looking to put them in place now.
He got rid of that pre Pochettino though. We had Mitchell at the club but not as a DoF. He should’ve worked harder to keep him IMO.

I’m hoping it’s nonsense that we are already deciding on a manager. Would be folly to do that before appointing a DoF and that doesn’t seem to be close at the moment.

He got rid of that pre Pochettino though. We had Mitchell at the club but not as a DoF. He should’ve worked harder to keep him IMO.

I’m hoping it’s nonsense that we are already deciding on a manager. Would be folly to do that before appointing a DoF and that doesn’t seem to be close at the moment.
He didn't get rid of it pre-Poch, Baldini was there until Sept 2015, Poch joined the year before. Poch didn't want an DoF so we wrongly abandoned it.

Nobody knows where we are with the DoF or Manager search, media making it up as they go along. Probably one or two that have info but it's impossible to know who they are.

He didn't get rid of it pre-Poch, Baldini was there until Sept 2015, Poch joined the year before. Poch didn't want an DoF so we wrongly abandoned it.

Nobody knows where we are with the DoF or Manager search, media making it up as they go along. Probably one or two that have info but it's impossible to know who they are.
I think the story at the time was that Baldini felt marginalised after the club brought in Mitchell as head of recruitment. The bigger mistake was not keeping Mitchell IMO.

I think the story at the time was that Baldini felt marginalised after the club brought in Mitchell as head of recruitment. The bigger mistake was not keeping Mitchell IMO.
From what I can remember he left to do some work outside football. Agree it was a mistake not trying to keep Mitchell.

Except we pretty clearly did (though I appreciate weeks later a story was leaked by the club when the folly of that decision was starting to become apparent).

Factually he left by mutual consent, whereas Mourinho and Nuno were relieved of their duties - there's no evidence to say he was sacked.

Putting to one side that i don't think there has been anything catastrophic happen over the last 20 years or so the biggest 'mistakes' as i see it are :

1. The breakdown of the Poch era - i put this down mostly to circumstance but i think had we kept ourselves in better shape off the pitch wrt player recruitment then we could have come out the otherside of the stadium move better positioned. A stronger/smarter owner could have seen that with money being tight we needed a level of expertise in this area that could have helped better shape the squad during testing times.

2. The loss of Inglethorpe (?) to Liverpool, our academy hasn't seemed the same since then - though I'm not really up to speed with the goings on at that level and I'm sure there is more to it than a single person, but the academy, which appeared to be working to a good level before the stadium move, has seemingly fallen to pieces since.

3. Appointing Mourinho/Nuno/Conte - going to group these decisions together as although it's 3 seperate appointments it underlines a lack of understanding of the clubs position, wants and needs.

4. I guess I'd have to say the 10/11 winter window of Saha & Nelson - whilst I'm certainly not alievating Redknapp of blame for his part in our drop off that season and nor do i think the signings were detrimental (both actually played well when used) we could have done better and that was a team that could/should have pushed for the title.

Levy's 5 (and counting) catastrophic successes:
1. Recognising the need for a super stadium to help us compete with the top clubs. Ended up with the best stadium in the world, 28 awards and counting.
2. Embracing the DoF role with Arneson, who begat Jol.
3. Redknapp. Okay this one was luck, as he was obviously hired to fire fight, but we ended up with what Ferguson called the best team to watch, and the Big 4 become the Big 5.
4. Pochettino. No luck involved here, Levy (and his advisors) picked a winner that no one was suggesting.
5. Knowledge. Levy has learnt from the best in the business, from managers to scouts to agents. Doubt there is anyone as well connected in European football.
6. Work in progress...

selling Kyle Walker - but apparently if i recall things weren't so rosey with Poch

saving money and no purchases post stadium

getting in Mou, Nuno and Conte, good to great managers but no right fit for our club, and Levy was never going to spend what they demanded

1) Sacking Poch
2) Appointing Mourinho
3) Appointing Santo
4) Appointing Conte

How the fudge can we go from 2nd best in Europe to mid table in England in 3.5 years? Abject failure at the top in this vital area. He needs to fall on his sword now
The last 3 I'll give you, in hindsight! But what about what he got spectacularly right?
Getting Redknapp, firring Redknapp, the stadium, the training facilities, hiring Poch, Paratici, countless transfers, pulling the trigger early on Nuno, hiring Ange ++++
Everyone makes mistakes, but Levy has got it right a hell of a lot more than he got it wrong.

Levy makes mistakes
Every owner does
He also gets stuff right … not very owner manages that
But…. He owns a huge huge club which has grown under his tenure and that is key
Just need a but more growth a bit more “luck” with recruitment and appointments please

Levy makes mistakes
Every owner does
He also gets stuff right … not very owner manages that
But…. He owns a huge huge club which has grown under his tenure and that is key
Just need a but more growth a bit more “luck” with recruitment and appointments please

I went back and watched some of all or nothing and he admits he makes mistakes, actually a few times, he even says all decisions come back on him if they are a mistake, nature of the job. He said it again in the recent statement.

Thing is, like I always say, we can make as many claims or decisions in theory with no consequence which makes us falsely believe we could do better. We really couldn't...

Back