• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lets Talk About Wages

Re: Wages

Very interesting. I will try and dig out the Telegraph tool later that showed transfer spend and wages for the Premier League era that I posted in another thread recently.

It really does show that we punch above our weight and something we should consider when things go wrong.

Interesting. It really shows what we are up against with City and Chelsea. Even United are falling behind courtesy of the Glazers.

It also shows why Bayern Munich ($170m, same as Chelsea) have become a force again in the CL. You have to look a long way down for other German teams, Schalke ($116m) and Dortmund ($90m). Makes Dortmund's titles even more impressive.

P.S. Bizarrely they claim our wages have gone up 61% in a year. 'Arry must really have being overpaying his old players. ;)

Presumably the bulk of that is attributed to CL bonuses

That would make sense. If the bonuses got paid in the 2010-11 season, rather than at the end of the 2009-10, that would be the last season with numbers available. However, the article claims that bonuses are excluded in their numbers. The figure of $95m (ca £60m) matches the wages before the CL increase or the wages without bonuses as the Telegraph/Deloitte list had our wages at £91m in 2010-11.

I think a number of players renegotiated contracts that summer and new players would have had contracts with CL expectations. I'd be surprised if the wages came down much without the CL. It's probably the reason we haven't seen net spending in the transfer window as wages consumed more of the total player budget.

Very interesting. I will try and dig out the Telegraph tool later that showed transfer spend and wages for the Premier League era that I posted in another thread recently.

It really does show that we punch above our weight and something we should consider when things go wrong.

Here it is

Interesting. It really shows what we are up against with City and Chelsea. Even United are falling behind courtesy of the Glazers.

It also shows why Bayern Munich ($170m, same as Chelsea) have become a force again in the CL. You have to look a long way down for other German teams, Schalke ($116m) and Dortmund ($90m). Makes Dortmund's titles even more impressive.

P.S. Bizarrely they claim our wages have gone up 61% in a year. 'Arry must really have being overpaying his old players. ;)

Harry was responsible for the contracts?

What does Daniel do?

We discussed this at length the first time you posted this, the Sporting Intelligence figures are clearly wrong. They are contradicted by quite a few more reliable sources including our annual accounts and annual report.

Could you possibly provide links to those so we can compare where the figures are off.

Could you possibly provide links to those so we can compare where the figures are off.

Page 43 of the 2011 Annual Report which show a 35.7% increase in wages from 2010. This is the most recent year that figures have been released.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/sites/spurs/The Club/annual-reports.page

I also used the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance and the Deloitte Football Money League to get a comparison on our financial position.

I think that more generally, anyone seeing an increase of 61% in wages over the course of a year should ask questions about the accuracy of the figures. A little digging around showed very quickly that they didn't add up.

Does it sound like how you think our club is run? Do you think that Levy would sign up players on contracts that awarded them more in bonuses than we would earn from entering a competition?

Where in my figures did you see an increase of 61%?

They used a $95m figure which tranlsates roughly into 59-60m GBP (that sounds quite reasonable to me)

Are you refferring to Staff Costs in the Annual Report?

Do you think that Levy would sign up players on contracts that awarded them more in bonuses than we would earn from entering a competition?

Yes, I'm sure there are bonuses for CL qualification - both for staff and players. Is that your question?

Last edited:
Where in my figures did you see an increase of 61%?

They used a $95m figure which tranlsates roughly into 59-60m GBP (that sounds quite reasonable to me)

Are you refferring to Staff Costs in the Annual Report?

Yes, I'm sure there are bonuses for CL qualification - both for staff and players. Is that your question?

What do you think that the seventh column shows? The test isn't whether you think that the figures sound reasonable, it is whether they are borne up by other (more reliable) sources and they are not.

How do you know that the sources are?

Even is the % increase sounds high - a figure in the £60m region is far from unlikely - the Telegraph link you posted indicates a figure of £91m just for comparison purposes

Last edited:
There's not much point discussing this if you are not going to read the evidence that you ask for or read postal and respond to points raised.

I did read you link - hence my question about 'Staff Costs' which appear to be all inclusive of managers, general staff, etc.

My link excludes 'endorsements, bonuses, appearance fees and any other source of extra compensation' - which appear to be all lumped together in the Annual Report

The Sporting Intelligence numbers supposedly ignore bonuses. The Independent did a survey of wages at all levels of English football a few years back and bonuses tended to account for a third to a half of the total wages. So £60m ($90m) for base wages and £90m for wages with bonuses does seem about right.

But if the Sporting Intelligence numbers exclude CL bonuses, the 61% increase is hard to explain.

Back