• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lets Talk About Wages

It isn't a problem to ME, it looks like the way he handled himself when he played for Emirates Marketing Project against them bothers him.

At least Llorente tries in every game which Adebayor doesn't.

but you said "I would also like it if we had a striker who doesn't look completely embarassed when we play Arsenal away." ????

Anyone who watches football can see he does. In fact, anyone with a brain can see he does.

You obviously don't watch a lot of Spurs games if you think Adebayor tries hard in every game.

when did i say that Adebayor tries in every game??? all i said was that lots of strikers have games when it appears they did nothing, looks lik they couldnt have been bothered (however you want to interpret it) Dont you remember Berbatov](*,)

Come off it, fella

you come off it, mate:)

il leave you alone in your perfected view of Fernando Llorente, the blue eyed GHod of Spanish football

llorente.jpg

As far as i am concerned if we sign Ade and his basic wage fits into our wage structure BUT we are giving him money too some other way....then we have broken our wage structure to all intents and purposes.....No?

I thought the principle was no player gets more than x amount per week and thats that. If he's getting a lump sum or ongoing payments or whatever else then to all intents and purposes whats to stop any other player saying i want the same or i am off?

I am not arguing if he is worth it or not, just the basic principle of our wage structure is either already broken or very soon will be.

Long term i think the ONLY way football will stay viable will be with some kind of basic + performance related pay. With the various stat companies around now you can analyse virtually every aspect of a players performance and you could give it a financial worth so i think and hope this happens.

A brick version of what i mean would be to take the average rating from x sources out of 10 for each player as 50% of the decision and 50% fan votes.

Ie player A is on a basic of 40,000e a week regardless. If his performance is rated/voted as a 7 out of 10 he gets 45,000e, 8 out of 10 then 50,000e, 9 out of 10 and he gets 55,000e (just to give an idea).

I don't think it would be too hard to truly measure a performance on a pitch using various methods to judge a sporting performance/contribution. Obviously it wouldn't be just goals scored as you might encourage selfishness on goal, or distance covered as players might just "run around a lot" without actually doing anything to affect the result. Neither could it be just fan votes, as we all have our favoured/hated players.

Anybody see what i mean here?

Edit: this of course wouldn't stop big spending clubs from saying "publically you are on this performance pay nonsense but in reality we will still sling you whatever it takes to get you up to 250kk a week ;) " :(

Last edited:
when did i say that Adebayor tries in every game??? all i said was that lots of strikers have games when it appears they did nothing, looks lik they couldnt have been bothered (however you want to interpret it) Dont you remember Berbatov](*,)

I do remember Berbatov and his shocking work rate. That's why he doesn't play more often for United.

c'mon peeps, this is levy we are talking about. He will not sanction 170k a week, he will not allow a 4 mill signing on fee to be paid up front, we all know deep down that ade will be on 90k a week basic, and something like a 5 mill signing on fee will be spread over the 3 or 4 years of his contract, and Emirates Marketing Project will contribute to some of ade's wages in the same way middlesboro contributed to woodgate's wages whilst he was with us

relax and breathe

any squad player leaving city will have to take a wage cut or they will simply remain there on the sidelines picking up their money until their contracts run out

dzeko, tevez, adebeyor, johnson, etc wont get that kind of money anywhere else

- ade's transfer fee will be smaller than it should be because city want rid.

- ade's pay at spurs will be within our existing wage structure, meaning it'll be significantly less than his city pay.

- the signing-on bonus will be a bridge between those two: Topping up ade's drop in headline pay, with spurs willing and able to pay it because the transfer fee itself was so small.

The net effect of those three things will be that our wage structure will stay the same and over the course of his contract ade will cost whatever a player transferring for a standard £12m-£15m fee would have cost. There will end up being nothing exceptional about the amount he costs or is paid over the entire piece.

b-i-n-g-o

I do remember Berbatov and his shocking work rate. That's why he doesn't play more often for United.

he was the same player for Spurs(and for Leverkusen), and yet they paid 32 mill for him and gave him a 4 year deal of 100k a week

17 goals and 11 assists in 33 Prem games for Adebayor last season....Better than anything Berba did for us.

5-7 mill for a proven Prem striker who granted has big off days but has the ability to perform at the highest level too?? Im sorry but thats a deal i wouldnt turn down

he was the same player for Spurs(and for Leverkusen), and yet they paid 32 mill for him and gave him a 4 year deal of 100k a week

17 goals and 11 assists in 33 Prem games for Adebayor last season....Better than anything Berba did for us.

5-7 mill for a proven Prem striker who granted has big off days but has the ability to perform at the highest level too?? Im sorry but thats a deal i wouldnt turn down

But surely we'd have to break our wage scale for him.

They way I see it, city dropping the fee so that we can give him a big sign on fee, means that acctually City are paying the sign on fee and we stay within or current wage structure.

But surely we'd have to break our wage scale for him.

he is a striker, he is a matchwinner, he should be one of the highest paid players in the team. Having said this, I trust Levy to negotiate a cracking deal that satisfies the Spurs, the player and Emirates Marketing Project.

The wage scale has been broken, Bale is on massive money. If we want llorente, he will want to be the highest paid player and again the wage scale will be smashed. Where do we draw the line

They way I see it, city dropping the fee so that we can give him a big sign on fee, means that acctually City are paying the sign on fee and we stay within or current wage structure.

thats right, we are buying a top class striker for 5-7 million pounds and he is in the peak of his career. Its a no brainer, even if he is one of the best paid players. he is a striker, a top one at that, so he should be on good money. Not City money, but very good money for Spurs

thats right, we are buying a top class striker for 5-7 million pounds and he is in the peak of his career. Its a no brainer, even if he is one of the best paid players. he is a striker, a top one at that, so he should be on good money. Not City money, but very good money for Spurs

If it all goes wrong (and with Adebayor it can all go wrong) we'll be left with a player on 8-9m a year who will be completely unsellable.
Personally I can't see AVB getting the best out of him. I'm pro AVB but he doesn't have the man management skills needed to motivate Adebayor.

i can't see us paying anyone more than 4m a year

if it doesn't work out there will always be some club silly enough to double that to get him

I think we do Ade a disservice. I is obvious that 170k is ludicrous but he does give alot of that to Charity - SO he wants to make sure that his Charities also see the benefit that they have been seeing for the last few years. Its admirable.

I do think the fact that we could get him for 5m means we give him a 5m payment to offset the losses he will make by getting 80-100k a week. Its kinda the same.

I think we do Ade a disservice. I is obvious that 170k is ludicrous but he does give alot of that to Charity - SO he wants to make sure that his Charities also see the benefit that they have been seeing for the last few years. Its admirable.

I do think the fact that we could get him for 5m means we give him a 5m payment to offset the losses he will make by getting 80-100k a week. Its kinda the same.

You make a good point, however should that make a difference for a prospective employer?

In my opinion it should not. He should be paid how much he is worth and then he can feel free to do with it what he will. He's a nice guy for donating it though, yeah.

As for the second part lets alter it slightly, and say that if he was going to be 10m on 80-100k, would you want him?

i read somewhere that Adebayor went through 3 separate 6-7 game runs without scoring for us last season

As far as i am concerned if we sign Ade and his basic wage fits into our wage structure BUT we are giving him money too some other way....then we have broken our wage structure to all intents and purposes.....No?

I thought the principle was no player gets more than x amount per week and thats that. If he's getting a lump sum or ongoing payments or whatever else then to all intents and purposes whats to stop any other player saying i want the same or i am off?

I am not arguing if he is worth it or not, just the basic principle of our wage structure is either already broken or very soon will be.

Long term i think the ONLY way football will stay viable will be with some kind of basic + performance related pay. With the various stat companies around now you can analyse virtually every aspect of a players performance and you could give it a financial worth so i think and hope this happens.

Agree with your first point mate, if Adebayor gets the same total after another two years from spurs as he would have at City then we've broken our pay structure . Next thing you know Bale will be wanting the same, along with any other indispensable and our wage bill ends up trebling in two years.

Performance related pay is messy in any walk of life and I don't know if you can apply it easily to football, it's so hard to compare players as it is. Essentially that exists in bonuses anyway.

I think the key is just being strong with what we do. Nudge up the maximum pay is clearly what has to happen from time to time but not by over 100%.

Back