• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

If a team doubles up on both Bale and Lennon, Modric will tear them a new one with the space it will allow him to pass.

Lennon's big thing is he stays wide, and gives the midfield another option for the counter attack.

Not to mention his often-underrated defensive shift.

Although he has little defensive talent per se, he uses his pace to make it very difficult for the opposition to build down our right flank.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but I think you're exaggerating things. Any team playing 4-5-1 and sitting deep could double up on Bale and Lennon with full-backs and wingers, whilst still having three central midfielders protecting space in the middle. Doubling up doesn't necessarily mean the defending winger has to constantly stay within 1 yard of the attacking winger; they can generally play fairly narrow, and then shift out to double up on the wing when the ball gets played out there.

Once Hudd's fit they won't have time to move players out to the wing - they'll have to leave them wide if they want to double up. Last season Modric did a pretty good job of switching play quickly and stretching the opposition, if VDV is playing behind Ade then I'd like to see Modric drop a little so he can be more effective in that sense.

Lennon's certainly a valuable asset to the side, his range of passing, for which he was oft criticised or even being a one trick pony, has improved. But teams learn to deal with him, so from time to time we do need switch things up to keep the oppo guessing. I love the little fella, Arry has concerns he's too much of a souljah boy like jenas.

We have to keep him fit for the last couple of months - 3rd and the FA cup baby!

I love Azza and I'm delighted to see him back but he's not as good as he should be. Him and Bale are similar players but mentally they're so different. Bale thinks he's Ronaldo and will take everyone on and try to score whenever possible, Azza on the otherhand seems to have little belief in what he does and will always look to pass even when the better option is to have a go himself. He's still lightning quick, his close control and touch imo are better than Bale's, he's even a composed finisher when going for goal is his only option. His goal at Fulham this season for example was immense, he should be doing this more often as he's definitely capable, off the field you think of him as some c0cky little rude boy but he's nothing like that on the pitch.

On his day the most exciting player to watch in the League.

Still improving, only 24. Not going anywhere, anytime soon.\o/

Once Hudd's fit they won't have time to move players out to the wing - they'll have to leave them wide if they want to double up. Last season Modric did a pretty good job of switching play quickly and stretching the opposition, if VDV is playing behind Ade then I'd like to see Modric drop a little so he can be more effective in that sense.

Totally agree! At times when Lennon has looked isolated it's because we don't tend to bring him in to the game quickly enough whereby Hudd finding him early gives Lennon the advantage of running at the player in front of him before he can set himself up...also pushing the ball away from the player trying to double up on him because shoulder to shoulder over 5 yards i would back him over most left back/mid fielders or wingers in the premier league.

Lennon has a brilliant first touch.....

He really does. I remember I was having the standard Azza vs little ****ing one good game piece of brick Walnot argument with some macaronic Gooner. I told him Lennon's first touch (amongst other things) >>>>>>>> Walcott's. I said it was actually one of the most underrated parts of his game, along with his footballing brain (a far, far smarter player than a lot of fans/media give him credit for).

The Gooner was like: "he's a Walcott clone, fast with no brains, and one of the worst first touches in the Spurs squad"

SHows what the average Gooner knows

Love this thread, go back a couple of years though and Lennon was routinely slated on here by (rough guestimate) 75% of posters. It's nice to see him appreciated now, we never have been the same attacking threat when he's been out, even when he's been out of form.

Love this thread, go back a couple of years though and Lennon was routinely slated on here by (rough guestimate) 75% of posters.

I concur.

Majority of arguments were centered around his shocking (at the time) delivery and general inability to provide a clinical pass = i.e. all running and no end product

Love this thread, go back a couple of years though and Lennon was routinely slated on here by (rough estimate) 75% of posters. It's nice to see him appreciated now, we never have been the same attacking threat when he's been out, even when he's been out of form.

I was not here then but it does not surprise me if true, personally i have always liked Lennon and thought he would be a top player one day. The problem with wingers ( and always has been) is that they rely so much on the service they get, if its not given as often and at the right time they become isolated and can disappear from the game.

If you look back over the last few decades wingers have been pretty hit and miss over their performances, and because of the reasons that i have said above can look patchy at times. The good wingers ( Waddle, Barnes, Ginola, Best etc) adapt their game and drift more into the middle where they can be more involved, its the other guys like Johnson, Young ( although to be honest he is starting to roam more) SWP etc that are invisible at times. Lennon is only 24 and is beginning to alter the way he plays and has the makings of a really top player.

Lennon is a role model and a credit to any young player as to what practicing and improving is all about. He has clearly put a hell of alot of effort into his final ball, and has gone from quite poor to brilliant at crossing.

I always felt his final ball was slated a bit too much.....it was still used to beat him with even when he had clearly improved, but the change has been immense.

He's had his injuries, usually followed by an under par period, but he always bounces back, never whinges in the papers, and is a major part of our first team. I get dissapointed with our fans when they make fantasy 11's and instantly drop Lennon for Hazard or (never these days) Marin.

Lennon is quite unique, as he has immense control over his unbelievable pace. We have seen what he brings to our set up, by how much we've missed him. Keep at all costs.

Another thing I love about him is that he always has a massive smile like a little kid when he scores. Not arrogant on the pitch, in any way.

I love Lennon

He is part of the furniture now and long may it continue.

I think he is seriously underrated by other fans which is great cos it means we keep him. He has never mumbled, gone off on one, spoken to the media etc he is just Lennon

I love Azza and I'm delighted to see him back but he's not as good as he should be. Him and Bale are similar players but mentally they're so different. Bale thinks he's Ronaldo and will take everyone on and try to score whenever possible, Azza on the otherhand seems to have little belief in what he does and will always look to pass even when the better option is to have a go himself. He's still lightning quick, his close control and touch imo are better than Bale's, he's even a composed finisher when going for goal is his only option. His goal at Fulham this season for example was immense, he should be doing this more often as he's definitely capable, off the field you think of him as some c0cky little rude boy but he's nothing like that on the pitch.

I've noticed it takes a few games after his injuries to get his confidence back enough to take the fullback on regularly. Sometime he just plays it safe when he should really take a risk. Minor quibble though.

I'd keep him on the bench for the next few games, maybe introducing him with 20-25mins on the clock. Ease him back in.

I love Lennon

He is part of the furniture now and long may it continue.

I think he is seriously underrated by other fans which is great cos it means we keep him. He has never mumbled, gone off on one, spoken to the media etc he is just Lennon
I was just thinking, wasn't the last testimonial at the club for Bill Nicholson? If Lennon keeps up his level of performance, I could see him staying on at the club and getting a testimonial with us. It's a rare thing in the English game nowadays, and the only other players at the club that is likely to have a testimonial within the next few years are Ledley King (that's guaranteed), Michael Dawson and Tom Huddlestone.

I live to see British players flourish at the club, and I sincerely hope Lennon stays on our right wing for a good few years. He's had some problems with injuries, but if we get a proper back-up for him then he would be less likely to pick up knocks.

It's strange to think that Lennon is 25 this month!

I was just thinking, wasn't the last testimonial at the club for Bill Nicholson? If Lennon keeps up his level of performance, I could see him staying on at the club and getting a testimonial with us. It's a rare thing in the English game nowadays, and the only other players at the club that is likely to have a testimonial within the next few years are Ledley King (that's guaranteed), Michael Dawson and Tom Huddlestone.

What about JD? ;)

Back