• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

How is it that Trippier has never taken our corners? Yet, he starts taking them for England and they are great! How did Poch miss the trick. Trippier seems dangerous every time England has a set piece! Can’t wait for more goals next season from them.

How is it that Trippier has never taken our corners? Yet, he starts taking them for England and they are great! How did Poch miss the trick. Trippier seems dangerous every time England has a set piece! Can’t wait for more goals next season from them.
Think I'm right in saying Trippier HAS been taken some of our corners, especially so more recently.

Would be interested to know how many of his corners for England have either lead directly or indirectly to goals. Has to be an exceptionally high percentage.

Worth remembering though England's opposition has been utter pants and VAR has ensured that over-the-top wrestling such as we saw against Panama has been punished appropriately. There's been no VAR in PL games, besides PL defenders are a little too clever to make it that obvious.

Having said that, 100% agree Trippier should be the main man taking our corners. I think part of the problem though is that Eriksen appears to be under instruction to aim for the near post which tbf he does very well. It's just that not much ever comes of it. Whereas Trips appears to be following instruction to aim more for the penalty spot. In the PL those sort of crosses are consistently gobbled up by either the defence or the keeper.

Last edited:

Most managers these days set up corners defensively, rather than offensively. There's that stat isn't there that more goals are conceded from corners than scored. And fullbacks are usually the quick, short guys you leave back on the half-way line. You'd want Trippier rather than Eriksen in a foot-race against a counter attack. Perhaps that's the logic?

Most managers these days set up corners defensively, rather than offensively. There's that stat isn't there that more goals are conceded from corners than scored. And fullbacks are usually the quick, short guys you leave back on the half-way line. You'd want Trippier rather than Eriksen in a foot-race against a counter attack. Perhaps that's the logic?
Good point. We'll regularly have either Toby or Jan up so it's good to have the full-backs able to cover them. Trips is unlikely to get his head on the end of a cross, after all.

Still, I reckon he's doing his chances in the battle against Aurier plenty of good this WC.

Well maybe leave someone like Dembele back instead. I mean I know he’s likely leaving, but that’s why I say someone like him. A player who is strong, can get back, but offers less of an attacking threat than Trippier’s corners.
If you have an offensive weapon that is that good, you are more likely to benefit from using it than it is to cost you.

Think I'm right in saying Trippier HAS been taken some of our corners, especially so more recently.

Would be interested to know how many of his corners for England have either lead directly or indirectly to goals. Has to be an exceptionally high percentage.

Worth remembering though England's opposition has been utter pants and VAR has ensured that over-the-top wrestling such as we saw against Panama has been punished appropriately. There's been no VAR in PL games, besides PL defenders are a little too clever to make it that obvious.

Having said that, 400% agree Trippier should be the main man taking our corners. I think part of the problem though is that Eriksen appears to be under instruction to aim for the near post which tbf he does very well. It's just that not much ever comes of it. Whereas Trips appears to be following instruction to aim more for the penalty spot. In the PL those sort of crosses are consistently gobbled up by either the defence or the keeper.

Maybe he has. I should know but the football season feels like a LONG time ago now. I think we should use him and let’s work with his deliveries. Eriksen is also a great player to have on the edge of the box for corners, like that Sheringham role for the Anderton corners, or just there in case the ball breaks to him.

Maybe he has. I should know but the football season feels like a LONG time ago now. I think we should use him and let’s work with his deliveries. Eriksen is also a great player to have on the edge of the box for corners, like that Sheringham role for the Anderton corners, or just there in case the ball breaks to him.
...or just to hammer in a volley from the edge of the box. Classic.

It isn't just that Trippier is good at taking corners.

Maguire, Stones and Kane all attack the ball with purpose.

They don't jump and vaguely try to get something on the ball... they fight and leap and power the ball goalward.

I assume there is a "set pieces" thread somewhere on Page 1 where the likes of Scaramanga are eating humble pie* and saying "sorry, you were right".

It is entirely possible for a team to practice set pieces to good effect, within a set time period of available training time.

Did you see that freekick routine that led to Stones' second goal against Panama? Beautiful intricate set piece, really nice.

Yes, I know it was Panama.

*Yes, I know Scaramanga would never admit he was wrong, he has issues with that

Dier and Alderweireld were quite good at scoring from corners a couple of years ago. I've been quite upset that we have lost that ability since.

I'm with GB on this. Eriksen consistently fails to beat the front post defender. Lamela is a far better corner taker. Tripper should have caught Poch's eye now.
Yes Tripper floats a brilliant corner but even if he does take over from Eriksen don't hold your breath. Because I suspect you will find he'll have much less success against PL defences. And do not doubt Poch is fully aware of Trips' dead ball skills but he will have had his reasons for sticking with Eriksen - despite GB's ridiculous comment.

Back