• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

He has continued from where he left off last season. He hasn't really upped his game as much as he's kept doing what he already did.

You might say that the competition with Walker is what did it for him. Considering how Pochettino has improved other full backs and players in general, with and without competition, the better explanation for me is simply that an already talented player has improved under Pochettino.

Actually I thought he had a couple of poor games at the start of the season, where he failed to put in the crosses (seemed timid, got up field then passed sideways).

Recently he seems back to last season form, he's at his best when he puts the early cross in, puts the opposition under pressure.

My biggest disappointment is we haven't seemed to figure out how to leverage Trippier with Llorente option, seems a obvious plan B/C.

Pecking order perhaps. According to Wikipedia he can score from free kicks:

Barnsley
In January 2011, Trippier agreed a deal to stay at Barnsley for the remainder of the 2010–11 season.[12] He scored his first senior goal for Barnsley in a 3–3 draw with Leeds United, with a curling free-kick from twenty-five yards out at Elland Road in February 2011.[13] His second goal came against local rivals Doncaster Rovers with another spectacular free-kick, equalising late on for the hosts at Oakwell.[14] He went on to make forty-one appearances in all competitions winning the Young Player of the Year award.[15]

Burnley
In July 2011, Trippier joined Championship club Burnley on a season-long loan as a replacement for the departing Tyrone Mears.......[17] His first goal for the club came in September 2011, with a superb long-range free-kick against Milton Keynes Dons in a 2–1 win in the League Cup.[18] His first league goal came in December 2011, a 1–0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion at the Falmer Stadium, with a powerful shot from the edge of the box....... In January 2012 he scored his second goal for the club, scoring from range in a 2–0 win away to Middlesbrough.[22] In March 2012, he scored the first in a 5–1 rout against Portsmouth at Fratton Park.[23] He played in all 46 league games in his first season as the club finished in mid-table, going on to win the Burnley Player of the Year award.[24]...........[25] In August 2013, he scored a free-kick in a 2–0 win over Preston North End in the League Cup.[26] In January 2014, he sealed a 3–2 win over Huddersfield Town with a late goal.[27] He was again named in the Championship PFA Team of the Year for consecutive seasons as Burnley finished runners-up and gained promotion to the Premier League.

I’m sure he takes at least some of our corners doesn’t he? Eriksens set pieces really seem to of regressed.....
Regressed is a bit of a misnomer. He aims for the near post and that doesn't always come off. Statistically, however, inswingers to the near post have the highest probability of resulting in a goal.

Regressed is a bit of a misnomer. He aims for the near post and that doesn't always come off. Statistically, however, inswingers to the near post have the highest probability of resulting in a goal.
Not just talking about his corners, his set pieces in general.Remember when he used to be a goal threat from free kicks? As for his corners, if he’s deliberately aiming for near post all the time that’s pointless - you need to mix it up....

Not just talking about his corners, his set pieces in general.Remember when he used to be a goal threat from free kicks? As for his corners, if he’s deliberately aiming for near post all the time that’s pointless - you need to mix it up....
Pretty sure he has been mixing it up that bit more recently. Seems to be taking more short corners, also they're being shared around a bit more these days, mainly with Davies and Tripps.

I agree about mixing up with his corners, far too many get headed away from the near post. We've got a few tall players who could do with delivery around the penalty spot. Isn't it also true that Eriksen hasn't scored from a free kick since Swansea double two years ago? That's a long time between drinks.

Pretty sure he has been mixing it up that bit more recently. Seems to be taking more short corners, also they're being shared around a bit more these days, mainly with Davies and Tripps.
To be honest I hadn’t noticed either way but Alekaras references him going for the near post and from memory a hell of a lot of his corners seem to be cleared from that area. But I agree they’re definitely being shared around more the corners these days. To be honest I’m more bothered about his lack of goal threat from his free kicks....

To be honest I hadn’t noticed either way but Alekaras references him going for the near post and from memory a hell of a lot of his corners seem to be cleared from that area. But I agree they’re definitely being shared around more the corners these days. To be honest I’m more bothered about his lack of goal threat from his free kicks....
Me too, but I seem to recall both Kane and Dier having a crack recently, though I could be getting it confused with their England games?

Me too, but I seem to recall both Kane and Dier having a crack recently, though I could be getting it confused with their England games?
Kane definitely takes some, cant really remember Dier but Im sure he has - probably a reflection of Eriksen's poor form for having others take them? Couple of seasons' back he would have taken 90% of them at least Im sure.....

Kane has definitely take a few for us, since the end of last season. And he has come very close to scoring.

I have an image of Trippier taking a free kick this season from just outside the box. I can't picture which game it was though. Am I imagining things?

Trippier has been decent for us, but we've clearly missed Walker. Especially in matches against quick teams. I reckon Aurier will be our first choice by the end of the season.

Back