• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kelvin Mackenzie: the textbook definition of a clam!

I did see a headline about Liverpool asking everton to ban the Sun but thought that it was just another example of victimpool being victimpool but seeing this I hope that everton do ban the sun as well.

Unfortunately, people will still read this rag and be influenced by them :(

Should he have known Barkley's heritage? I didn't.

So taking the emotion out and returning to facts, Mackenzie has called Barkley thick (not something I imagine he'd struggle to back up if required) and suggested that there are lots of criminals and joblessness in Liverpool (again, something readily provable if required).

Just because something upsets people from Liverpool it doesn't make it wrong. In fact, there are few things that don't upset people from Liverpool.

So taking the emotion out and returning to facts, Mackenzie has called Barkley thick (not something I imagine he'd struggle to back up if required) and suggested that there are lots of criminals and joblessness in Liverpool (again, something readily provable if required).

Just because something upsets people from Liverpool it doesn't make it wrong. In fact, there are few things that don't upset people from Liverpool.

Some sense spoken at last.
It still goes back to the events of 1989 and they will do anything, even decent articles and truthful ones, to twist it and make it appear like they've been picked on.
How long will we have to put up with this hillsborough episode, whilst the Bradford fire is rarely mentioned.

It was the mayor of Liverpool who made the complaint not Barkley and I'm sure when he plays against Liverpool, he probably gets the same comments levelled at him as those mentioned in the Sun.
#hypocrotical

Wrong and unfunny?
Are those really grounds for suspension?
If that were the criteria the red tops would have no hacks left.

Yes, I think he, or sports editors / sub-editors (or whoever) should have known that.

I think it was pretty widely known. I even remember a poster on here referring Barkley's "African genes".

Believe me, I have zero love for Mackenzie or the S*n, but what I'm not sure about though is that there was anything racist in what he said.

Can it not only be read in a racist way if one makes a correlation between being black (or mixed race) and being a gorilla?

Wasn't the (juvenile) point he was trying to make was that Barkley is like an animal at the zoo?

I recall the furore after Hodgson's innocent "feed the monkey" story / phrase and how that got picked up on, and I wonder if this aspect of this incident is attracting some of the same, willful outrage.

I'm not sure I've expressed what I wanted to say in the most eloquent of terms, but I hope I've got across the point sufficiently. I'm not sticking up for MacKenzie whatsoever, and there is no place for racism in society - I'm just not sure this is an example of it.

I never had a clue Barkley had black heritage either.

Yes, I think he, or sports editors / sub-editors (or whoever) should have known that.

I think it was pretty widely known. I even remember a poster on here referring Barkley's "African genes".

Believe me, I have zero love for Mackenzie or the S*n, but what I'm not sure about though is that there was anything racist in what he said.

Can it not only be read in a racist way if one makes a correlation between being black (or mixed race) and being a gorilla?

Wasn't the (juvenile) point he was trying to make was that Barkley is like an animal at the zoo?

I recall the furore after Hodgson's innocent "feed the monkey" story / phrase and how that got picked up on, and I wonder if this aspect of this incident is attracting some of the same, willful outrage.

I'm not sure I've expressed what I wanted to say in the most eloquent of terms, but I hope I've got across the point sufficiently. I'm not sticking up for MacKenzie whatsoever, and there is no place for racism in society - I'm just not sure this is an example of it.
I agree that there was no racism (whether by intent or not). I disagree though, that people should know his heritage.

There are 20 teams in the PL, each with 18 matchday players. Ignoring squad rotation, that's 360 players you're suggesting staff should know the heritage of. If you're only going back two generations (as in this case) that's 1,440 grandparents to know the birthplace of.

That's just not possible.

I agree that there was no racism (whether by intent or not). I disagree though, that people should know his heritage.

There are 20 teams in the PL, each with 18 matchday players. Ignoring squad rotation, that's 360 players you're suggesting staff should know the heritage of. If you're only going back two generations (as in this case) that's 1,440 grandparents to know the birthplace of.

That's just not possible.

If the Mirror knew in 2013 then it's not unreasonable to think that other publications and journalists should know.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mi...s/evertons-ross-barkley-ten-facts-2956132.amp

I knew, via a poster here. I haven't looked, but I'd bet it's on wiki too, and any other number of online outlets.

MacKenzie should have measured twice and cut once.

If the Mirror knew in 2013 then it's not unreasonable to think that other publications and journalists should know.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mi...s/evertons-ross-barkley-ten-facts-2956132.amp

I knew, via a poster here. I haven't looked, but I'd bet it's on wiki too, and any other number of online outlets.

MacKenzie should have measured twice and cut once.
The Mirror knew because the "journalist" was specifically writing an article based on pointless facts about Barkley. He was intentionally finding out things that most people don't know.

If a journalist was writing an article about Michael Dawson, should they check to see if he has any Fijian ancestry? We've all called Martin Keown a Neandethal-looking clam before - should we genetically test him to make sure he's 100% Homo sapien?

The mayor of Liverpool was the one who complained. Their Victim-in-Chief, whipping up more outrage in order to gain popularity as one of their own.

If he was unaware of his heritage was the use of gorilla racist or just used as a term to describe someone bulky and knuckle dragging? Is knowing his heritage and still using the term gorilla racist when he was trying to describe a brainless bulk of a man? I would say not personally.

As for the Liverpool stuff you have to show some realism, I did a course for work about social and ethnic profiling and its everywhere, the film taken uses Albanians as human trafficking illegal immigrants in Paris, does that mean that all Albanians in Paris are that? Is everyone from Essex blond with fake tan? No, do I get upset when I see that joke everywhere including media? No

I enjoyed the bit taking the tinkle out of Liverpool to be honest, they need to chill out

Back