• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

Poch seems to want versatile players. If Onomah is incapable of moving further forward in midfield I doubt he would last long in our squad.

Not that I think we want him as a #10, just that being able to operate in those areas is exactly the sort of thing Poch expects.

Look at the way he uses our current midfielders, sometimes deep, sometimes more box to box or advanced, sometimes more on one flank...

And thats not including simple in game situations. How often are our defenders found in advanced areas!?

If Onomah doesnt offer at least some flexibility like this I dont see him getting the opportunities to really make a mark under Poch.

Poch seems to want versatile players. If Onomah is incapable of moving further forward in midfield I doubt he would last long in our squad.

Not that I think we want him as a #10, just that being able to operate in those areas is exactly the sort of thing Poch expects.

Look at the way he uses our current midfielders, sometimes deep, sometimes more box to box or advanced, sometimes more on one flank...

And thats not including simple in game situations. How often are our defenders found in advanced areas!?

If Onomah doesnt offer at least some flexibility like this I dont see him getting the opportunities to really make a mark under Poch.
All too true, but he's still young, so still plenty of time to adapt and grow into the player Poch will need him to become. If anyone is going to help him get there, we all know it's going to have to be Poch.

Winks and Wanyama don't play anywhere else but CM. Dier obviously plays CB too. Dembele has been used at AM, but has never convinced there.

I think Poch mainly used Onomah at AM because it is a less risky position than CM. It's an introductory step, a bit like playing young CBs at FB for a while first, so they find their feet/gain confidence.

I don't think the plan is particularly to develop him into anything other than Dembele's heir. AM was just a method to try and aid that emergence.

Winks and Wanyama don't play anywhere else but CM. Dier obviously plays CB too. Dembele has been used at AM, but has never convinced there.

I think Poch mainly used Onomah at AM because it is a less risky position than CM. It's an introductory step, a bit like playing young CBs at FB for a while first, so they find their feet/gain confidence.

I don't think the plan is particularly to develop him into anything other than Dembele's heir. AM was just a method to try and aid that emergence.
Highlighted part is not true.

Winks has only ever played CM though, so when he came in I don’t remember him playing AM?

We have got a pretty good buying and selling mechanism at the moment. We buy players or promote players from the youth and if they are on the fringe of the squad but not quite cutting it, we loan them out. If they do well they sometimes come back and become a first team player ala Rose or even a better example, Kane. But 8 times out of 10 they become a decent player but not quite good enough for our first team, but their value hasnt really dropped so we sell them for a profit.

I think this will happen with Onamah. Rather than sell him for £5m in the summer, we loan him to Villa he does well then they buy him for say £10m.

All too true, but he's still young, so still plenty of time to adapt and grow into the player Poch will need him to become. If anyone is going to help him get there, we all know it's going to have to be Poch.

Indeed, and I trust his judgement on that. My response was more the point that perhaps we should find somewhere more suitable that Villa for him. I actually think Villa are the best option if he is to develop areas of his game aside from his prime position.

I think all of our players are expected to be at least competent in all areas of the pitch. And Poch seems particularly keen to be able to have players switch position mid game. Winks has been used in Eriksens position as well as deep lying. Wanyama has played as CB, or between the CBs as well as in midfield. Full backs are deployed as attacking or defensive. CBs roam through midfield as the game permits. Not one of our outfield players is pigeon holed into a single position.

If Onomah is only really functional as a specific type of CM then I wager he wont be around long.

We have got a pretty good buying and selling mechanism at the moment. We buy players or promote players from the youth and if they are on the fringe of the squad but not quite cutting it, we loan them out. If they do well they sometimes come back and become a first team player ala Rose or even a better example, Kane. But 8 times out of 10 they become a decent player but not quite good enough for our first team, but their value hasnt really dropped so we sell them for a profit.

I think this will happen with Onamah. Rather than sell him for £5m in the summer, we loan him to Villa he does well then they buy him for say £10m.

Poch didn't want Onomah to go out on loan though, he was on his 'keep' list, until Onomah persuaded him differently

Janssen, 2CV, Oglivie, Walkes and Glover are the ones you feel are loaned out solely in the shop window.

I wonder if all this talk of Onoma only being able to play CM is just a bit of myth-making. He's scored several goals playing AM for Villa and has earned rave reviews in that position as well as getting slated for poor performances there.

Young players are more prone to ups and downs in their performances, hell even mature players have stinkers in their favoured positions, so why cannot we just accept he is still developing, still maturing and that even when he gets to that stage he'll still play a few stinkers from tie to time. I could bore the pants off you with a whole catalogue of Spurs players from the past that went from rubbish to brilliant and back again but that's the last thing any of us needs.

Poch didn't want Onomah to go out on loan though, he was on his 'keep' list, until Onomah persuaded him differently

Since when?

I wonder if all this talk of Onoma only being able to play CM is just a bit of myth-making. He's scored several goals playing AM for Villa and has earned rave reviews in that position as well as getting slated for poor performances there.

Young players are more prone to ups and downs in their performances, hell even mature players have stinkers in their favoured positions, so why cannot we just accept he is still developing, still maturing and that even when he gets to that stage he'll still play a few stinkers from tie to time. I could bore the pants off you with a whole catalogue of Spurs players from the past that went from rubbish to brilliant and back again but that's the last thing any of us needs.

I think its fair to say he is much better as a CM. For us, as an AM, he was pretty anonymous. For Villa, from what Ive seen, his rave reviews come from CM performances.

I honestly wouldnt read much into that

"No, no. I think it's clear that Josh is a potential first team player like Cameron Carter-Vickers and Harry Winks, like all the young players in our academy," Pochettino replied.

You think CCV has a future here? As well as all the young players in the academy?

Its a throwaway comment IMO.

I think its fair to say he is much better as a CM. For us, as an AM, he was pretty anonymous. For Villa, from what Ive seen, his rave reviews come from CM performances.
Not sure I agree entirely. Pretty sure one or two of those rave reviews came when he was played at AM. He certainly scored a couple of decent goals from that position. I do tend to agree though, it looks like CM is where he is destined to end up performing his best.

But once again, still early days.

Im only judging by a thread or two Ive found on Villa forums, so hardly conclusive/exhaustive.

General perception there seems to be
CM: Bosses games, better quality than anyone they have, brilliant touch, always time on the ball, anything good goes through him, buy him if its at all possible

AM: Useless, cant be bothered, why are we playing him? Send him back...

Seems odd, before they were raving about him saying how great he was and they should do everything they can to sign him.

Seems odd, before they were raving about him saying how great he was and they should do everything they can to sign him.

This "they" you speak of....

And oh look, Adam b is in the thread talking about how he doesn't rate Onomah, is that time of the month already? Quelle fudging surprise

This "they" you speak of....

And oh look, Adam b is in the thread talking about how he doesn't rate Onomah, is that time of the month already? Quelle fudging surprise

Very funny. Generally avoided this thread for about 3-4 months as haven’t seen him play since they played Bristol City when he actually did well. My complaints weren’t ever as simple as ‘don’t rate’ - they were (i) didn’t ever seem to really put in the effort, generally strolling around rather than working hard and (ii) in all his appearances for us last season, he was ineffective - didn’t really ever beat a man, play a killer ball ever etc (wasn’t asking for all the time, just some signs of his ability).

Hopefully we’ll loan him out to someone else as the Villa loan doesn’t sound like it’s helping him develop and the 2016/7 version of him wasn’t much use to us. Maybe then he’ll add something to the squad when he comes back next season

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Very funny. Generally avoided this thread for about 3-4 months as haven’t seen him play since they played Bristol City when he actually did well. My complaints weren’t ever as simple as ‘don’t rate’ - they were (i) didn’t ever seem to really put in the effort, generally strolling around rather than working hard and (ii) in all his appearances for us last season, he was ineffective - didn’t really ever beat a man, play a killer ball ever etc (wasn’t asking for all the time, just some signs of his ability).

Hopefully we’ll loan him out to someone else as the Villa loan doesn’t sound like it’s helping him develop and the 2016/7 version of him wasn’t much use to us. Maybe then he’ll add something to the squad when he comes back next season

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last month “they” couldn’t wait to buy him! I wouldn’t hold any weight to what a few posters on Villa message boards say about a loanee after a couple of defeats.

Back