• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

It’s crazy. The general vibe seems to go from ‘we have to make a big money bid to keep him’ to ‘terrible, lazy, would prefer Grealish’ if he has one average game. He has a languid style which seems to be the issue but that doesn’t mean he is actually lazy. In fact it’s a lazy inference to make.
So Villa fans are fickle? Not like us then, are they!

Villa fans are really not happy with him, citing a lack of effort and generally being poor.

I've generally stayed off this thread given that I've only seen him once this season and, to be fair, on that occasion he was the best player on the pitch. My two complaints about him last year, similar to other people, though were that (i) he didnt seem to work hard (closing down, chasing lost causes, working to get into space etc) and (ii) in all his cameos, he didnt produce anything despite his talent. Hopefully he does end up making it given that any player we develop and who turns into a PL quality player for us saves us at least £30m+ but its striking that similar conclusions are apparently being drawn about him at a second club. If you go back a few years, we had a very similar player - creative midfielder, comfortable on the ball, 6 foot-ish, star in youth football, languid style, destined to be the next big thing but is now playing in Ligue 2 in France. First person to name him?!? They're remarkably similar players and JO should have a think about what's happened to the other guys career....be bloody brilliant that he becomes the next Dembele but given how this season is playing out, he's going to have to go out on loan again next year as it doesnt sound like he'll be ready for us to give him meaningful minutes....yet he turns 21 in April. Next season is last chance saloon for him to save his Spurs career (I'm assuming no u-turn in the second half of the season)

I've generally stayed off this thread given that I've only seen him once this season and, to be fair, on that occasion he was the best player on the pitch. My two complaints about him last year, similar to other people, though were that (i) he didnt seem to work hard (closing down, chasing lost causes, working to get into space etc) and (ii) in all his cameos, he didnt produce anything despite his talent. Hopefully he does end up making it given that any player we develop and who turns into a PL quality player for us saves us at least £30m+ but its striking that similar conclusions are apparently being drawn about him at a second club. If you go back a few years, we had a very similar player - creative midfielder, comfortable on the ball, 6 foot-ish, star in youth football, languid style, destined to be the next big thing but is now playing in Ligue 2 in France. First person to name him?!? They're remarkably similar players and JO should have a think about what's happened to the other guys career....be bloody brilliant that he becomes the next Dembele but given how this season is playing out, he's going to have to go out on loan again next year as it doesnt sound like he'll be ready for us to give him meaningful minutes....yet he turns 21 in April. Next season is last chance saloon for him to save his Spurs career (I'm assuming no u-turn in the second half of the season)

Taarabt?

John Bostock.

Yep, thats who I was thinking. Think there's a number of parallels between the two

That's fair, imo - although I do have to point out that Bostock is still only 25 and has had a pretty good football career, by most football standards. Okay, he didn't make it at Spurs or in the Premier League, but that's the pinnacle of football and not many do make it at that level. He's still managed to do well across multiple countries in Europe, and is still young enough to potentially make a move back into the Premier League at some point if he keeps impressing at RC Lens (which I believe he's been doing in general). From my perspective, if we can get about 66-75% of our academy lads to that level (good careers in the Championship or in Europe, with the occasional top-flight stint included), that would be a damn good success rate from the perspective of guaranteeing kids a career, even if it isn't at Spurs, necessarily.

However, is that what people were expecting when we signed him from Palace and Simon Jordan had an aneurysm? No, probably not. So I get your point.

That's fair, imo - although I do have to point out that Bostock is still only 25 and has had a pretty good football career, by most football standards. Okay, he didn't make it at Spurs or in the Premier League, but that's the pinnacle of football and not many do make it at that level. He's still managed to do well across multiple countries in Europe, and is still young enough to potentially make a move back into the Premier League at some point if he keeps impressing at RC Lens (which I believe he's been doing in general). From my perspective, if we can get about 66-75% of our academy lads to that level (good careers in the Championship or in Europe, with the occasional top-flight stint included), that would be a damn good success rate from the perspective of guaranteeing kids a career, even if it isn't at Spurs, necessarily.

However, is that what people were expecting when we signed him from Palace and Simon Jordan had an aneurysm? No, probably not. So I get your point.

Yep, agree with all of that. On the 66%-75% point, I agree though obviously with those coming out of the academy who seem to have the most talent (which includes Onomah) we'd all be hoping that they turn into 1st team players and that at some point you get a generation like the Beckham one at Utd, or even 'just' a Kane/Winks every 2-3 years etc. Fall back position, which is far from disasterous, is that we flog them on to others and the academy almost becomes a business/profit-generating centre in its own right - thats probably the base case and then the occasion Kane/Winks etc is the upside

You're not kidding, judging by this villa Message board! - https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16668-josh-onomah/?page=36

Villa fans are a special kind of fickle these days. Even their own manager has repeatedly been pointing it out after games theyve won!

Villa were worse and worse year after year, their relegation was a long time coming (and over due), and they went down thinking they should dominate the Championship and bounce back up. Completely lacking awareness, the Championship is a bloody good league and Villa were never in that position.

Even in that very thread Onomah is both to good for them and the worst player on the pitch.

As it happens, from what Ive been able to gather over the season, Onomah has been bloody good when played CM. But Bruce has preferred him #10 with Whelan and Hourihane sitting. Bruce has done him no favours at all.

Short version - while Im not convinced on Onomah, I wouldt take that page of that forum as evidence of anything either!

Villa fans are a special kind of fickle these days. Even their own manager has repeatedly been pointing it out after games theyve won!

Villa were worse and worse year after year, their relegation was a long time coming (and over due), and they went down thinking they should dominate the Championship and bounce back up. Completely lacking awareness, the Championship is a bloody good league and Villa were never in that position.

Even in that very thread Onomah is both to good for them and the worst player on the pitch.

As it happens, from what Ive been able to gather over the season, Onomah has been bloody good when played CM. But Bruce has preferred him #10 with Whelan and Hourihane sitting. Bruce has done him no favours at all.

Short version - while Im not convinced on Onomah, I wouldt take that page of that forum as evidence of anything either!
Exactly, a few games ago he was “too good for them and they’d be delighted to sign him when they get promoted but no chance we’d let him go!”

Now after a bad week the casual loanee is the root of all that is bad there! :)

Yes when he plays in CM he is a different beast from what I have seen. CM is his position and trying to shoehorn him in as an attacking midfielder will not and has not worked to date. You must also consider this is his first season as a regular 1st team player for all intensive purposes, so he'll have his ups and downs.
I still have high hopes for the kid.

I don't think he's what they need nor are they what he needs. From what I've seen they aren't a good fit for him in terms of style.

He would've been better off at a club aspiring to finish mid table than one fighting for promotion, especially one where he's being thrown out of position.

I don't think he's what they need nor are they what he needs. From what I've seen they aren't a good fit for him in terms of style.

He would've been better off at a club aspiring to finish mid table than one fighting for promotion, especially one where he's being thrown out of position.

Maybe we could pull him out and then push him to another team willing to play him in his CM position???

Back