• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

So I gotta ask, after watching this lad play so well during the tournament how come Poch got it so wrong by not playing him in his natural position? Especially as that is where he use to play in the youth ranks? Although Winks has overtaken him last season that should not be a worry with Josh being a year younger

So I gotta ask, after watching this lad play so well during the tournament how come Poch got it so wrong by not playing him in his natural position? Especially as that is where he use to play in the youth ranks? Although Winks has overtaken him last season that should not be a worry with Josh being a year younger

I genuinely think Poch is playing him in attack to get the experience of playing there

Don't forget Demebek started out as an attacker too

I genuinely think Poch is playing him in attack to get the experience of playing there

Don't forget Demebek started out as an attacker too

There is a case that when you are trying to break into the first team that it is easier if you are playing in the position you are best use to playing in

I think there are a couple of reason's. First I'd guess it's because having some time on the field where his mistakes are less likely to affect the team is best for him and the team. Secondly, he was still thought of as primarily an AM before the start of the season. Perhaps he's been learning the role these last 6 month's in training, but wasn't going to be rushed into it by Poch.

Good question, although you can see the training with first team has helped him, some of that ball shielding and release is definitely influenced by current first team players

There is a case that when you are trying to break into the first team that it is easier if you are playing in the position you are best use to playing in

The coach plays you, but out of positon
or
The coach want you to play in the right postion, but there are other before you in the pecking order.

Which ways is the easiest to break into the first team?

Taking the pressure off the kid. If he plays in the dembele role he can easily get picked off lose confidence etc.

Playing him further up the pitch and understand the attacking aspect, will afford a mistake or two without the team or player suffering.

Winks may just be more composed and developed currently.

Just a case of giving a young player a taste of first team action to aid his development I'd have thought - big responsibility for a player of his age to start in CM, have a poor game and you've potentially let the attack through on your defense several times costing your team goals/points

Just a case of giving a young player a taste of first team action to aid his development I'd have thought - big responsibility for a player of his age to start in CM, have a poor game and you've potentially let the attack through on your defense several times costing your team goals/points

Winks has been plenty good enough to play in CM; Onomah has looked poor whenever he's played for our first team

The coach plays you, but out of positon
or
The coach want you to play in the right postion, but there are other before you in the pecking order.

Which ways is the easiest to break into the first team?
Well he barely plays as it is - Its always cameos for five/ten minutes at best so in that small period obviously be better for him to be played in his best position....

Last edited:

Of course but his position is laps the hardest to play in the team IMO and he also has some top drawer players ahead of him

There is a Brazilian coaching system where the players turn up and pick a coin (face down with a number on it). The my turn it over and that number is their position for the game. To me that's brilliant as it goes you an awareness of other positions on the pitch and the roles they play.

Onomah may have been deemed weak in attack or in need of more awareness in using the width of the pitch . By playing Jim there he is learning something new at a point of important development for him

There was an interesting piece on youth development on 5 live and Danny Murphy said that at Crewe you were made to play in other positions to appreciate your natural position and what you need to do better by seeing the position from another view point.

Winks has been plenty good enough to play in CM; Onomah has looked poor whenever he's played for our first team

What is right for one player may not be what is right for the other and id dispute he has been poor tbh - just a young player adapting to first team football and considering Winks adapted well going straight in to CM then I'd say that probably suggests that Pochettinos is a good judge of how to bring through the youngsters (considering that onomah hasn't looked to settle as quick as Winks)

Last edited:
Fair to question and wonder. But it seems strange to me to jump to the conclusion that "Poch got it so wrong". Let's just assume that Pochettino, one of the best managers around when it comes tutto developing young players, had reasons for what he did.

What some fail to see is well done poch in recognising the academy players and trying to introduce the better ones to the first team.

Poch has his balls and I admire them

Strictly not true. If you remember he put in an excellent performance in the first of only three games he started for the first team last season, scoring in our 5-0 romp against Gillingham.

His other two starts were also in cup ties, against Wycombe and Liverpool. In both of those games the whole team played poorly so it wasn't just him.

If, however, by 'first team' you meant PL/CL games, then your comment is harsh considering the longest he was ever on the pitch in any of those games was just seven minutes.

Back