• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs

Can I just say........regarding the Thames Airport project, that if agreed, it would cut jobs overall, as all of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead would be forced to close, and the workforce from those three would be replaced by 1 big workforce at Thames airport, and job duplication (triplication) would be stopped.

In the mean time, can we have a direct rail-link between gatwick and Heathrow please, so i can avoid the M25 car park every time I travel up in the mornings. Thank-you.

G4S have had how many years to plan for this? And they just realise NOW that they can no longer reach their workforce targets?! Like I've always said, you can as many qualifications as you like, but there is no test to measure common sense, which ironically a lot of intelligent people lack!

Ironic that the English media always write negative stories about other countries hosting world sporting events are behind schedule for example like they did for years with Greece before the 2004 games, and yet it's been a shambles over here so far!

Let's hope we get our act together and produce a great olympics..... And wins lots of medals!

Last edited:
Can I just say........regarding the Thames Airport project, that if agreed, it would cut jobs overall, as all of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead would be forced to close, and the workforce from those three would be replaced by 1 big workforce at Thames airport, and job duplication (triplication) would be stopped.

In the mean time, can we have a direct rail-link between gatwick and Heathrow please, so i can avoid the M25 car park every time I travel up in the mornings. Thank-you.

I'll have to bow to your experience in the sector as you know it more than any of us, but would the creation of one airport in the Thames Estuary really close Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted??? I just can't see that myself. I think those airports would probably drop to 60-70% capacity, while the new airport took up the slack.

I can only see the demand for air travel growing and growing over the next 25yrs. We've got these emerging markets opening up, and yet I read in a report about a month back that hardly any of our airports have slots allocated to get connections to them, as the focus is on transatlantic travel.

The compass is constantly changing though, yet the SE airports apparently don't have the capacity to react quick enough. The way I see it, I think Stansted will continue to grow as a the 'go-to' airport for domestic and european shorthaul; Gatwick will probably get busier with international flights as Heathrow continues to burst at the seams.

I know what you're saying about the idea of there being one big workforce, but I just don't think logistically that will ever be a go-er. It's busy and difficult enough at the best of times - forget summer - to get into the current SE airports; I just cannot see how the government would sanction all of those people congregating on one place. fudge me, the amount of extra motorway and infrastructure you'd need to build to support that would be astronomical. And then you'd have the noise complaints; it's hard enough to spread that across 3 airports, how could you ever get away with focus all of that traffic over one area!?

Any suggestion of amalgamating all SE airports into one megahub - in my opinion - would be categorically dismissed. I just cannot see how it would ever be allowed to happen. Even if the airport operators or airlines wanted that, the passengers - the customers who actually pass through it - just wouldn't stand for having to migrate across London to one airport. No chance. At the moment I think it works fairly well how there's a fairly major airport on at least three points of the compass (that being around London) No way the public would accept that relative ease of access being taken away from them.

G4S have had how many years to plan for this? And they just realise NOW that they can no longer reach their workforce targets?! Like I've always said, you can as many qualifications as you like, but there is no test to measure common sense, which ironically a lot of intelligent people lack!

Ironic that the English media always write negative stories about other countries hosting world sporting events are behind schedule for example like they did for years with Greece before the 2004 games, and yet it's been a shambles over here so far!

Let's hope we get our act together and produce a great olympics..... And wins lots of medals!

Yes, and another wonderful example of the super efficient private sector at work.

7 years to plan for this, yet they haven't got a fudging clue what they're doing.

No doubt too busy trying to work out how to make as much profit.

All 3? The new airport would have sufficient capacity? What's the combined passengers of the 3? 120 million? You'd need an airport of 150 million plus to deal with future growth!

The security thing is a shambles. But the sheer numbers are mental IMO. How many do we need? Can you ever truly be immune from terrorism? Apart from that I'm struggling......where is the shambles? It was the same in Sydney, Athens, Vancouver etc. all have issues and it all works out in the end. Our press are qunts, and the foreign press are now going to get their own back. The UK hasn't exactly done itself many favours with foreign policy over the past 10 years!!

Yes, and another wonderful example of the super efficient private sector at work.

7 years to plan for this, yet they haven't got a fudging clue what they're doing.

No doubt too busy trying to work out how to make as much profit.

Public sector is great isn't it? Wal Mart are really brick at running things aren't they? What a completely fatuous statement! Basically human beings are fallible and mistakes happen. Are you suggesting the government should control the whole delivery of the games? Employ all the staff? Qunts and qunts.

I'll have to bow to your experience in the sector as you know it more than any of us, but would the creation of one airport in the Thames Estuary really close Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted??? I just can't see that myself. I think those airports would probably drop to 60-70% capacity, while the new airport took up the slack.

I can only see the demand for air travel growing and growing over the next 25yrs. We've got these emerging markets opening up, and yet I read in a report about a month back that hardly any of our airports have slots allocated to get connections to them, as the focus is on transatlantic travel.

The compass is constantly changing though, yet the SE airports apparently don't have the capacity to react quick enough. The way I see it, I think Stansted will continue to grow as a the 'go-to' airport for domestic and european shorthaul; Gatwick will probably get busier with international flights as Heathrow continues to burst at the seams.

I know what you're saying about the idea of there being one big workforce, but I just don't think logistically that will ever be a go-er. It's busy and difficult enough at the best of times - forget summer - to get into the current SE airports; I just cannot see how the government would sanction all of those people congregating on one place. fudge me, the amount of extra motorway and infrastructure you'd need to build to support that would be astronomical. And then you'd have the noise complaints; it's hard enough to spread that across 3 airports, how could you ever get away with focus all of that traffic over one area!?

Any suggestion of amalgamating all SE airports into one megahub - in my opinion - would be categorically dismissed. I just cannot see how it would ever be allowed to happen. Even if the airport operators or airlines wanted that, the passengers - the customers who actually pass through it - just wouldn't stand for having to migrate across London to one airport. No chance. At the moment I think it works fairly well how there's a fairly major airport on at least three points of the compass (that being around London) No way the public would accept that relative ease of access being taken away from them.

Something called Crossrail dear boy.

The security thing is a shambles. But the sheer numbers are mental IMO. How many do we need? Can you ever truly be immune from terrorism? Apart from that I'm struggling......where is the shambles? It was the same in Sydney, Athens, Vancouver etc. all have issues and it all works out in the end. Our press are qunts, and the foreign press are now going to get their own back. The UK hasn't exactly done itself many favours with foreign policy over the past 10 years!!

Trouble at the airports

Bus drivers transporting the athletes from the airport to the Olympic village got lost, driving around for hours not knowing where they were going

Chaos on the roads in and around London

Ticketing fiasco. Website crashes. People not knowing what they were buying tickets for.

All 3? The new airport would have sufficient capacity? What's the combined passengers of the 3? 120 million? You'd need an airport of 150 million plus to deal with future growth!

Apparently usage is:

• Heathrow is 70m(5.4% YoY growth)
  • Gatwick 33.5m (7.3% YoY growth)
  • Stansted 18m (-2.8% YoY growth)

Total: 121m, with blended average YoY growth of 3.3%

Over 10 years, using that conservative metric proposes a demand of 167m. That's ignoring new emerging routes and competition driving down shorthaul routes; both of which drive demand.

Public sector is great isn't it? Wal Mart are really brick at running things aren't they? What a completely fatuous statement! Basically human beings are fallible and mistakes happen. Are you suggesting the government should control the whole delivery of the games? Employ all the staff? Qunts and qunts.

Well, the private sector has failed so miserably to deliver its objectives here that it's looking more and more likely that the government will have to revert to soldiers - public servants - to step into the breach and do the job.

Why are you so forgiving when the mistakes are on the private sector side, yet scathing when it comes to the public sector? Of course mistakes happen in both sectors, but gross incompetence which G4S have publically displayed beautifully tinkling in the face of the fallacy that the private sector is the answer; the glowing panacea to everyone's problems.

This was a huge private contract, and they fudged it up BIG TIME. Their management, their mistakes, their cost-cutting, their lack of quality and control. And they fudged it right up. Loads of money - hundreds of millions - yet they still couldn't get it right. It's not a glowing endorsement is it?

I think I heard one minister say earlier that G4S should be declined future government contracts. Quite right. But the same should apply to all these other shyster companies logistical support companies who are costing the government a small fortune in outsourced services, yet the 'service' they receive is a fudging disgrace. Time for them to prove they are worth all this smoke they are continually blowing up themselves.

Trouble at the airports

Bus drivers transporting the athletes from the airport to the Olympic village got lost, driving around for hours not knowing where they were going

Chaos on the roads in and around London

Ticketing fiasco. Website crashes. People not knowing what they were buying tickets for.

You need to do better. Airport? What? The queues are short. I've been to the US 5 times, you wanna see a queue? Check those out!! Chaos on the roads? When? Erm......I call that a normal day in a major metropolis. One bus took the scenic route. Big deal. 100 other buses were fine. The ticket site worked fine, we've sold more tickets than any other games in history. You are reading to much of the gutter press my friend.

Well, the private sector has failed so miserably to deliver its objectives here that it's looking more and more likely that the government will have to revert to soldiers - public servants - to step into the breach and do the job.

Why are you so forgiving when the mistakes are on the private sector side, yet scathing when it comes to the public sector? Of course mistakes happen in both sectors, but gross incompetence which G4S have publically displayed beautifully tinkling in the face of the fallacy that the private sector is the answer; the glowing panacea to everyone's problems.

This was a huge private contract, and they fudged it up BIG TIME. Their management, their mistakes, their cost-cutting, their lack of quality and control. And they fudged it right up. Loads of money - hundreds of millions - yet they still couldn't get it right. It's not a glowing endorsement is it?

I think I heard one minister say earlier that G4S should be declined future government contracts. Quite right. But the same should apply to all these other shyster companies logistical support companies who are costing the government a small fortune in outsourced services, yet the 'service' they receive is a fudging disgrace. Time for them to prove they are worth all this smoke they are continually blowing up themselves.

The idea of outsourcing security to the largest security company in the world is hardly revolutionary is it? Or does the government know better? The state should manage the contracts effectively. You manage contracts for a living. Do you trust your suppliers? If they flat out lie what can you do? G4S are tightly getting hammered but they also run thousands of contracts globally successfully. I'm quite happy to slag them off, but the idea that the government, a load of career politicians, know better how to manage security, catering, ticketing, construction, transport, etc is just laughable. when there is a profit motive the people managing the contracts need to be in the ball, and they clearly weren't here. But let's not get the cart before the horse.

The idea of outsourcing security to the largest security company in the world is hardly revolutionary is it? Or does the government know better? The state should manage the contracts effectively. You manage contracts for a living. Do you trust your suppliers? If they flat out lie what can you do? G4S are tightly getting hammered but they also run thousands of contracts globally successfully. I'm quite happy to slag them off, but the idea that the government, a load of career politicians, know better how to manage security, catering, ticketing, construction, transport, etc is just laughable. when there is a profit motive the people managing the contracts need to be in the ball, and they clearly weren't here. But let's not get the cart before the horse.

I trust no-one! Inherently sceptical...or just paranoid :mrgreen:

From the murmurings coming out, it sounds like no-one thought to place safeguards into the contracts, hence the question as to whether they have legal recourse to compensation for a failure of service. First and foremost concern for me, has always been to ensure that all risk sits with the supplier and not whichever client I happen to be working for; breakclauses, compensation, tightly worded penalties - no wriggle room at all.

G4S have spectacularly failed here. There shouldn't even be a question as to whether the majority of the contract costs will be automatically recovered. I note ministers are patting themselves on the back, grinning that G4S will stand the £50m or so which it's cost to bring the army in. That's all good and well, but that £50m should be on top of recovering at least £100m or so from the main agreement which has catastrophically failed and was obviously undeliverable.

Makes you wonder though doesn't it: The Olympics is one of, if not the biggest worldwide events; you'd think the management of G4S would want its best management team working on that contract to ensure that there wasn't a royal fudge-up such as this, wouldn't you? I think they obviously got carried away with themselves; believed a bit of their own hype, arrogance breading incompetence, etc. Paying for it now though. Their top boy should go for this - without a shadow of a doubt; having to bring the army in because your company couldn't deliver?? :lol: fudge me fella, move on!

The word omnishambles is appropriate!!

that silly qunt Buckle deserves prison time for his ridiculous barnet as a minimum!!!

Back