• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs

London is a great city with a rich history and tradition. People come to London to see the Tower Of London, Big Ben, the theatre, shopping, museums and many other great sites. I'm skeptical that people are going to come to London just to see Stratford.

Lol....I'm not suggesting they are!

They are coming for the Olympics and will come for future swimming and cycling events.

After the games the athletes village will be private housing, desperately in short supply in London, and there is a fudging moster Westfield there now as well.......Stratford will be a thriving community and will be gentrified, with it's new fantastic transport link acting as a stimulus in that regard.

Erm.....so we agree on the airports then? I'm not saying you're wrong.....i'm just saying welcome to the UK my friend, you know what it's like.

Look at my list below.......the venues are all temporary or already have a legacy secured......apart from the Olympic Stadium, and that was meant to be dismantled and reduced to 25,000 athletics facility along the lines of Crystal Palace, then football got involved!!And I hate to break this to you, but you do know what's at the dome now don't you?

http://www.theo2.co.uk/

Whoops

We don't agree on the airports. Your view is 'can't do anything as it'll come up against planning objections'. I say fudge the objectors: the priority for this country is a lot bigger and wider than where a flock of fudging birds live, and if ministers can't get that reality straight in their mind, then it's little wonder this country is so financially fudged as it is. Changing times call for changing attitudes: a few years ago the UK could afford to be pretty about looking after trees and birds and whatever other PC flimflam. These days? Sorry, treehuggers but the game has changed: bye bye birds, hello Airbus A380.

Oh yeah, of course I know what's at the dome now - it's O2, ie: nothing to do with the government's original plan at all. Look how long that site was mothballed for, because they couldn't find anyone who coulld actually do anything with it. That's hardly a beacon of wonderful planning now, is it? But that's classic government for you: live for the here and now, with little to no foresight of the train coming down the line towards you. Good on O2 for making the Millennium Dome viable - seriously, good on them. But what price did the government receive to get if off the balance sheet? A fudging pittance mate - yet more tax payer money simply tinkled away on a vanity exercise.

They are coming for the Olympics and will come for future swimming and cycling events.

After the games the athletes village will be private housing, desperately in short supply in London, and there is a fudging moster Westfield there now as well.......Stratford will be a thriving community and will be gentrified, with it's new fantastic transport link acting as a stimulus in that regard.

PMSL! You reckon!? :ross:

No matter how much they try to polish Stratford, it's always going to be a brick. You live up North mate, you don't get down to see how much of a run-down dump it still IS around there. There's a Westfield there? Whoopie-doo: have you seen the poor scroungers who use it though? Council estate wasters mate, most of them probably trying to rob and thieve.

We'll only know for sure in 10-15yrs time whether the great Stratford plan has worked or not. My money is on the favourite: it won't. It's been a pipedream all along; some ridiculous idea that simply throwing money at a brickhole will change behaviours of scum who, quite frankly, don't really have much respect for anything or anyone.

Will it be gentrified? Lord knows; that's an organic process of migration, but all I see at the moment is the same DSS claimants walking around doing sweet fudge all with their lives. If the prices are driven up, then all you'll do is simply move the poor rats to neighbouring dumps likes Ilford & Romford; replaced by professionals and people actually going somewhere in life.

We don't agree on the airports. Your view is 'can't do anything as it'll come up against planning objections'. I say fudge the objectors: the priority for this country is a lot bigger and wider than where a flock of fudging birds live, and if ministers can't get that reality straight in their mind, then it's little wonder this country is so financially fudged as it is. Changing times call for changing attitudes: a few years ago the UK could afford to be pretty about looking after trees and birds and whatever other PC flimflam. These days? Sorry, treehuggers but the game has changed: bye bye birds, hello Airbus A380.

Oh yeah, of course I know what's at the dome now - it's O2, ie: nothing to do with the government's original plan at all. Look how long that site was mothballed for, because they couldn't find anyone who coulld actually do anything with it. That's hardly a beacon of wonderful planning now, is it? But that's classic government for you: live for the here and now, with little to no foresight of the train coming down the line towards you. Good on O2 for making the Millennium Dome viable - seriously, good on them. But what price did the government receive to get if off the balance sheet? A fudging pittance mate - yet more tax payer money simply tinkled away on a vanity exercise.

It has nothing to do with the government do you understand? The legals get involved and friends of the earth say the lesser spotted dodo actually lives on the marsh and it's game over.

I think that's why the venues are temporary, or already have a legacy secured.

Also - Greece wasn't bankrupted by the Olmypics! It was due to not collecting any fudging tax and paying train dricers £60k a year.

And having an early retirement age of 55, which over 70% took advantage of. Some spent more years picking up a pension than they did working.

THat area is getting its own postcode after the games, East Village

Stratford is still a dump yeah, you drive one/two minutes away from the park and its row upon row of housing estate. Even Stratford station is still a complete dump to wander around.

That said the olympics has been the catalyst for a number of developments and will likely bring a positive net return overall, I mean things like the tube upgrade etc and other infrastructure projects have been propelled along by hosting it.

A lot of money has been spent on London and UK infrastructure, it sure hasn't been just stadiums for £7bn

Its not even just London, Team GB is based where I study here at Loughborough University and there has been big investment facilities here. I'm not sure how much they got for it, but its one aspect of Olympic legacy that I personally see on a regular basis.

London 2012: What's the Cost?

In December the head of the National Audit Office warned of the risk of the government exceeding its Olympics budget of £9.3billion.

This figure includes the build of the venues and the £600million police and security budget. The government has just allocated an extra £41million (with a £7million contingency) from this budget to Locog to pay for the Opening Ceremony, which is set to cost £81million total.

Locog has also been allocated £271m to pay for venue security. The figure also includes £2.8m for Games Time Testing, £35m to convert the stadium after the event and £35m for tourism campaigns.

However Sky Sports investigators drew figures from freedom of information requests and public documents to reveal the cost to the public purse could be as much as £24bn. Highlights of the investigation include the £766m cost of the land used for the venues. Legacy programmes are also set to hit £826m, while the Olympic Park Legacy Company is set to cost £300m.

Then there's the tube drivers who receive extra pay during the games. 13,000 of them will each get £500 each bringing that bill to £6.5m. And what about the quangos? UK Sport received a £29m injection from Andy Burnham in 2008 because of the Olympic Games. Sport England has used some of a £22million handout to measure Legacy work.

Transport for London spent £2.5million taking 30,000 staff on a tour of the Olympic Park, according to the Sky investigation. While so-called 'London Ambassadors' - who will meet and greet tourists, will cost: £3.5million.

It was also revealed that councils across Britain have spent nearly £11.4m on torch relay and other Olympic themed events. But not all local authorities responded to requests for information so this figure could be higher. Local councils have spent £407,102 on tickets.

---

Absolutely fantastic legacies also being realised...like a £275m loss on the Village:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/12/olympic-village-qatari-ruling-family

To say the last couple of weeks haven't gone smoothly is putting it mildly!

I don't agree with what he was saying about the tube being the "fullest in the undergound in the world". Clearly he hasn't visited places like New York, Shanghai or Tokyo!

This is going to sound reactionary to some and im sure some of our left wing posters will probably dial for the police straight away, but my name is mud on this site so i will say it anyway.

First off you stop immigration from within the EU then you drop the jobseekers allowance forcing those out of work to take the jobs left by the immigrants, for all the low skilled jobs that the immigrants do and on the most part do so very very well, the is no need for any special skills so can be done by our unemployed i do not give a fudge if they want to work or not or if they think it is there human right to get benefits.

Once unemployment in this country is down to under half a million then you can allow unskilled workers in for jobs that can not be filled here, like seasonal workers. It is a disgrace we pay people who are to lazy to work to sit at home while good honest and nice people a couple of whom i count as friends come to the country and work but mostly send all there money back to there country of origin.

We would save yourself a brick load of money right there. Then if we stopped funding for union officials and EU officials in every local council and cut back on legal aid pulled out of the EU we could use the money we saved towards a plan to get this country back working. More focus on high skilled manufacturing and making sure we export more to the emerging markets rather then by little Englanders like the liberals and completely focus on the EU all the time.

That is what we should do but cameron is a gutless **** so it wont happen. Bring back maggie all is forgiven.

This is going to sound reactionary to some and im sure some of our left wing posters will probably dial for the police straight away, but my name is mud on this site so i will say it anyway.

First off you stop immigration from within the EU then you drop the jobseekers allowance forcing those out of work to take the jobs left by the immigrants, for all the low skilled jobs that the immigrants do and on the most part do so very very well, the is no need for any special skills so can be done by our unemployed i do not give a fudge if they want to work or not or if they think it is there human right to get benefits.

Once unemployment in this country is down to under half a million then you can allow unskilled workers in for jobs that can not be filled here, like seasonal workers. It is a disgrace we pay people who are to lazy to work to sit at home while good honest and nice people a couple of whom i count as friends come to the country and work but mostly send all there money back to there country of origin.

We would save yourself a brick load of money right there. Then if we stopped funding for union officials and EU officials in every local council and cut back on legal aid pulled out of the EU we could use the money we saved towards a plan to get this country back working. More focus on high skilled manufacturing and making sure we export more to the emerging markets rather then by little Englanders like the liberals and completely focus on the EU all the time.

That is what we should do but cameron is a gutless **** so it wont happen. Bring back maggie all is forgiven.

Whilst i may not agree with all of his opinions, at least the man has a fudging long term plan.

More so then the current Government appear to have..

Back