• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January transfer rumour thread

how many times did he go up front at the end of a game to get an equaliser against us and really bully our centre halves. Im all for Samba replacing Bassong, he could have been the difference at the end yesterday

Remy is the sort of player we were desperate for yesterday - when Harry wanted to bring on another attacking player, his options were mainly restricted to Pav or Defoe, both or whom offer little outside the box. SOmeone like Remy who can make runs into the channels and who has decent movement would help open up a stubborn defence like yesterday.

And the main challenge which Harry faces is how to overcome situations like yesterday. More and more teams will come and play like Wolves and its very likely that we'll be in plenty of situations again where we're still drawing after 60 mins and playing against a team who put 9 outfielders behind the ball and dont try to attack us. Harry's changes yesterday (Rose for Benny and Defoe for Lennon) provided little comfort that Harry knows how to overcome this sort of challenge - part of that might be due to Harry not having the right type of player available...and therefore he needs to bring in the sort of player he needs for those games in Jan.

Serious question regarding Samba:

Dawson has recently been criticised for his lack of calmness on the ball and seems isn't clever enough to pass from the back. Is Samba the type of player we could rely on to prioritise passing from the back rather than hoofing it? Think thats what we need to begin to look at, but Samba could do a job against the Stokes of the world.

Remy is the sort of player we were desperate for yesterday - when Harry wanted to bring on another attacking player, his options were mainly restricted to Pav or Defoe, both or whom offer little outside the box. SOmeone like Remy who can make runs into the channels and who has decent movement would help open up a stubborn defence like yesterday.

And the main challenge which Harry faces is how to overcome situations like yesterday. More and more teams will come and play like Wolves and its very likely that we'll be in plenty of situations again where we're still drawing after 60 mins and playing against a team who put 9 outfielders behind the ball and dont try to attack us. Harry's changes yesterday (Rose for Benny and Defoe for Lennon) provided little comfort that Harry knows how to overcome this sort of challenge - part of that might be due to Harry not having the right type of player available...and therefore he needs to bring in the sort of player he needs for those games in Jan.

Definitely will with having 5 of our last 8 home games against teams in the bottom half/relagtion zone

How happy would we be with Remy and Samba?

Remy - yes - he'd provide decent cover/cometition for Lennon/both flanks. Loooks far far better than Hoilett.

Samba - less so - just a poor man's Kaboul IMO. Decent, but not the quick and cultured CB we need to replace King long-term.

We'd also not have addressed our biggest weakness - getting a proper #9 to mitigate against anything happening to Ade.

I'd love to get Samba in. He is only 27 still.

You can say that King will be in and out of the team for a while still, but he is turning 32 this year and Gallas is 35 in August. So even if we keep them around for a season or three, we will need younger players "soon". Samba will be in the theoretical prime of his career now.

Next season:

Samba (turning 28 in March)
Kaboul (turned 26 this January)
Caulker (turned 20 last December)
Dawson (turning 29 in November)
King (turning 32 in October)
Gallas (turning 35 in August)

Remy - yes - he'd provide decent cover/cometition for Lennon/both flanks. Loooks far far better than Hoilett.

Samba - less so - just a poor man's Kaboul IMO. Decent, but not the quick and cultured CB we need to replace King long-term.

We'd also not have addressed our biggest weakness - getting a proper #9 to mitigate against anything happening to Ade.

Hi, I'm sure you've said in the previous version of this board, but which examples of a proper #9 can you a) name b) think we should go for this January or in the summer?

Cheers for that. Shows how much talent in on display in France. Hazard would be unbelievable, never going to happen though. But Remy would be just as awesome, and would upset a few gooners which is always good. I sometimes wonder, is Harry just too honest for his own good sometimes, or is he always playing a bit of a game? Perhaps he is going to look at Remy, and perhaps Levy will shock us all by doing a deal for this month. Valbuena would be quality, and would suggest Harry is looking for more out and out width. If so he is right to do that, when Lennon was out we were too narrow. He works hard too which is always a plus!

Not sure I buy this story of Harry openly and knowingly telling the world that he is going to the Marseille-Lille match to look at said players, For one thing it potentially gets our rivals involved which could lead to a bid war. Secondly, surely harry/the scouts have been looking at these players way before now (two weeks before the end of the window).

I think it's one of his media dsitractions personally.

I's love to know what THFCSteff thinks....

So signing Remy will also require another number 9 to back up Ade, and will need one more in the summer as i cant see us affording Ade's wages

Getting Torres in would be amazing IMO

Have you been drinking ???

Not at all, Torres is a fantastic striker - one of the best around when fit and on form.

In a team like ours he would thrive, with the style of play and the manager in place its ideal for him.

At the moment he is a player out of form and confidence, if we got him in I would bet on him getting 10 goals by the end of the season

Not at all, Torres is a fantastic striker - one of the best around when fit and on form.

In a team like ours he would thrive, with the style of play and the manager in place its ideal for him.

At the moment he is a player out of form and confidence, if we got him in I would bet on him getting 10 goals by the end of the season

He's been off form now for two years, whatever way you look at it, signing him would be a big risk.

Hi, I'm sure you've said in the previous version of this board, but which examples of a proper #9 can you a) name b) think we should go for this January or in the summer?

I guess the obvious one we've been tracking for 18 months or so is Leandro.

Other than that the only one that comes to mind is that M'Baye Niang kid that people keep saying is like Lukuka but better.

So signing Remy will also require another number 9 to back up Ade, and will need one more in the summer as i cant see us affording Ade's wages

Pretty much.

But 18 months ago it was clear that we needed to replace our entire frontline. Keane, Crouch, Pav and Defoe were all pushing 30 and not really top-4 calibre players. We've got rid of 2 and brought in 1.5, so we're part way through that journey. Securing Ade or other, and replacing Pav and Defoe with two others now has to be done over the next two windows.

I guess the beauty of Remy is that he'd effectively be able to replace Bentley, Pienaar, Gio and Defoe at the same time (i.e. 1st or 2nd RF/W and 4th striker).

Grobbelaar: “There are two strikers LFC is interested. I know Kenny is looking at a South American striker who is playing in Holland. I know that he's quite close in getting another striker. I'm not going to be the one to actually tell you who, but I'm sure that the striker will be arriving soon."

Grobbelaar: ÔÇ£There are two strikers LFC is interested. I know Kenny is looking at a South American striker who is playing in Holland. I know that he's quite close in getting another striker. I'm not going to be the one to actually tell you who, but I'm sure that the striker will be arriving soon."

I went on the Spurs stadium tour today (well worth it for those who have never been) and interestingly Corluka's shirt was not hanging up in the dressing room. The guide said that he was not in Harry's plans and so the shirt had been taken down. I would have argued that there may not have been room for every squad players shirt, but the fact that Pienaar's was hanging on the tactics board just to get him included shows to me that if they wanted Charlie to be included they would have found room.

So, its likely that he is off this window.

Back