• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

He probably is suffering a bit with having to play all these games for the first time with no winter break. Far too casual recently. I suspect he'll be back to his best by early March...

Great player. His first season with us. Maybe needs the sun on his back.

The thing about having more than 11 players in a squad is that they all need to play once in a while and equally could use the occasional break. Long have I dreamt of a manager that could handle something like that. Good on AVB.

It could work in our favour with having a day off. Hope he's fresh and ready for Lyon parts un et deux

The thing about having more than 11 players in a squad is that they all need to play once in a while and equally could use the occasional break. Long have I dreamt of a manager that could handle something like that. Good on AVB.

Aye. When are we going to trust the gaffer.

I agree.

Also this was a situation where Vertonghen and Ekotto were away on international duty and probably didn't return until Thursday/Friday and we were playing on the Saturday. Meanwhile Caulker and Naughton had all week in training for AVB and the coaching staff to get them ready for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

As good a situation as ever to let them start.

I agree.

Also this was a situation where Vertonghen and Ekotto were away on international duty and probably didn't return until Thursday/Friday and we were playing on the Saturday. Meanwhile Caulker and Naughton had all week in training for AVB and the coaching staff to get them ready for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

As good a situation as ever to let them start.

Good points. All our returnees were treated well and Spurs and AVB were rewarded with a cracking result.

Also means that he and BAE/Ade can play Lyon having been rested quite a bit but also had a fair amount of training back with the squad.

We have Dawson, Caulker, Gallas is back and Kaboul nearly fit, so we are well covered at centre half..... so due to Sandro's absence how about we use Vertonghen in central midfield alongside Dembele??

We have Dawson, Caulker, Gallas is back and Kaboul nearly fit, so we are well covered at centre half..... so due to Sandro's absence how about we use Vertonghen in central midfield alongside Dembele??

What for ? we have a England international who plays as a holder and you want to play a centre back who has an obvious lack of pace.

What for ? we have a England international who plays as a holder and you want to play a centre back who has an obvious lack of pace.

It's more about giving ourselves options I would think?

Is Vertonghen any slower than Parker is?

why would he need pace to play the holding role in midfield? and like Brain says, its not as if Parker is the Usain Bolt of holding midfielders

I like Parker, however I think Vertonghen would give us a different edge when it comes to passing and maybe the odd crack from long range which AVB seems to be encouraging our players to attempt more often

just an idea, thats all

iirc Vertonghen has experience playing in central midfield

of course his main position is centre half and despite his slight dip in form recently id still want him to play in central defence 9 times out of 10. However right now we are pretty well off in the position whereas in central midfield we are short. Its only a suggestion for the short term, one at least worth trying. Once Sandro is back next season and hopefully we have added another decent player as back up, we wont even need to resort to what im proposing

why would he need pace to play the holding role in midfield? and like Brain says, its not as if Parker is the Usain Bolt of holding midfielders

I like Parker, however I think Vertonghen would give us a different edge when it comes to passing and maybe the odd crack from long range which AVB seems to be encouraging our players to attempt more often

just an idea, thats all

Huddlestone gets crucified on here for his lack of pace, in the prem its paramount Indian, in Europe you might get away with it but not the prem, anyway we have Livermore and hudd.

Parker has been brick since coming back, and IMO, when Kaboul is back, i wouldnt mind seeing Vertonghen at CDM

While Parker's not exactly Usain Bolt, he's pretty nippy, as in, he can run 5 yards to tackle a player, get up, then run 5 yards to pressure the next, and so on. That needs a different sort of engine, and a terrier-like spirit. Not sure Vertonghen's your man there. If anything, I reckon Verts would need to be partnered with a midfield terrier to prosper.

Yes

Livermore would be the option for me or Hudd.

I don't think there's much in it. I think Vertonghen was exposed a couple of times playing as a full back because he's not as quick as our other full backs. I think if Parker was playing as a full back he would struggle just as much against quick wingers as Verts did.

Huddlestone gets crucified on here for his lack of pace, in the prem its paramount Indian, in Europe you might get away with it but not the prem, anyway we have Livermore and hudd.

Huddlestone is a lot slower than Vertonghen for sure, I don't think that's a good comparison.

Carrick is rapid isn't he? I don't think it's right to call pace paramount. Helpful of course, but paramount? I'm not buying that.

I agree in general, but it's getting to the stage in the season now where he needs to pick our best 11 every week. That means picking his best back 4 and sticking with it. Very risky picking Naughton ahead of two recognised left backs. I would like AVB to rest players in the Europa, but I don't think it will happen, AVB takes the competition very seriously.

Back