• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

I can’t believe that a qualified doctor wouldn’t know more than people on TV....

But I do agree he looked to me like he couldn’t play. Although he did manage to change his kit ok so seemed fine to do that

When I’ve had concision I generally (by all accounts) don’t have a clue what’s going on let alone change my kit

I'm not sure there was any contact on the head. It was just on the nose, which is an appendage. The dizziness could just have been from blood loss.

I had a very similar knock a few years ago. The blood was quite spectacular, but once that was washed off, it was basically just a small cut across the bridge

I'm not sure there was any contact on the head. It was just on the nose, which is an appendage. The dizziness could just have been from blood loss.

I had a very similar knock a few years ago. The blood was quite spectacular, but once that was washed off, it was basically just a small cut across the bridge
Surely the nose is attached to the face which is part of the head?

He was practically sparko on the pitch, then threw up and had to be carried off because he was so dizzy his legs couldn’t support him. Far more than just a broken nose, which is what I had initially thought it was.
He’s a huge loss but we must err on the side of caution. No show for Bournemouth and borderline for next week. In fact better that he doesn’t play at all next week. His health is far, far more important.

Might have been a shock element as well. In any case, he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool for the prescribed period.

He was practically sparko on the pitch, then threw up and had to be carried off because he was so dizzy his legs couldn’t support him. Far more than just a broken nose, which is what I had initially thought it was.
He’s a huge loss but we must err on the side of caution. No show for Bournemouth and borderline for next week. In fact better that he doesn’t play at all next week. His health is far, far more important.

It could still be blood loss or even shock. The contact didn't look the type that causes concussion - it was only on the nose.

Like I said, I had a virtually identical thing happen to me 2/3 years ago (a friendly fire clash with a fellow CB too). I was cleared by the doctor and came back on 10 mins later (obviously not something we could afford to wait for tonight)

Last edited:
You don't get concussion if someone flicks your earlobe. Even if they cut off your ear
What if the back of their heads smashes into your ear lobe with a lot of force, causing your head to snap back violently. I supposed, based on your decades of medical practice, there is no chance of concussion as the impact was on the ear.

Reactions: DTA
If the game is stopped for a head injury for 5mins and that player continues and then passes out 2mins later, something isnt right.

Time for independent doctors and rolling subs in the case of head injuries

Hardly.
He won’t play next Wed if there is any common sense.

What's the protocol for concussion? I just guessed a week off and he'd be alright to play, but I don't know.

I was in a minor car accident recently, someone ran into the back of my car at around 35/40 mph. I felt groggy as phuck for a couple of days, my head smashed back into the drivers seat, had a bit of a lump. I didn't get diagnosed with concussion (I didn't see a doctor at the time) but I think I might have had a mild one, I was really foggy when I went back to work for the first day.

If the game is stopped for a head injury for 5mins and that player continues and then passes out 2mins later, something isnt right.

Time for independent doctors and rolling subs in the case of head injuries

I thought there was supposed to be an independent doctor in the tunnel area with a video replay to spot head clashes and to run the test?

I can’t believe that a qualified doctor wouldn’t know more than people on TV....

But I do agree he looked to me like he couldn’t play. Although he did manage to change his kit ok so seemed fine to do that

When I’ve had concision I generally (by all accounts) don’t have a clue what’s going on let alone change my kit
Actual qualified doctors have said repeatedly that they can't assess if someone has a concussion or not in minutes. That there should be a precaution.

If he's properly examined and fine to play again soon, fair enough. But I don't think that happens in minutes on the sideline.

Back