• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

What's all this Motm crud?
Am I the only one that noticed him falling on his arse and single handedly turning a comfortable 2-0 win into an edgy game?

I think Vertonghen is a strange player. He should have been a midfielder with the technical ability he has on the ball and they way he can dribble forward. But he seems to good central defender not a great midfielder because he likes playing in defence.

Am I the only one that noticed him falling on his arse and single handedly turning a comfortable 2-0 win into an edgy game?

I think Vertonghen is a strange player. He should have been a midfielder with the technical ability he has on the ball and they way he can dribble forward. But he seems to good central defender not a great midfielder because he likes playing in defence.

i haven't seen the full game so cant really shed any light on it but your post reads like you're judging his entire performance on the mistake he made for the goal?

Jan & Toby are part of the best defense in England, and one of the best in Europe.

He made a mistake (was pushed as well) that led to a goal, so has Toby, so has Hugo, however all three have enough credit in the bank that we accept they are human. Just like nobody commented on the amazing tackle Dier made, that Jan followed up on at one point in game.

Read the article I posted a little while back, he/Dier in the 3-5-2 system have obviously been given license to go forward, be an extra man, all the way to the box. In the last couple of game it has been very close to creating a goal for us.

i haven't seen the full game so cant really shed any light on it but your post reads like you're judging his entire performance on the mistake he made for the goal?

No he had a good game. I think people are getting carried away with his performance based on his runs forward. He only made those runs because Everton were offering no threat. They were like a bonus part of his performance. I think he should be judged first on his defensive performance and he made a huge howler than might have cost us the game on another day.

No he had a good game. I think people are getting carried away with his performance based on his runs forward. He only made those runs because Everton were offering no threat. They were like a bonus part of his performance. I think he should be judged first on his defensive performance and he made a huge howler than might have cost us the game on another day.

He won 10 duels which is exceptional for any player and ,ore so for one that was as attcking as he was from defence

He did fall over for lukakus goal and was off balance but that happens when your the last man some times

For me it was a top top drawer performance and he snuffed out lukaku for the whole game bar that error which was down to bad luck

He won 10 duels which is exceptional for any player and ,ore so for one that was as attcking as he was from defence

He did fall over for lukakus goal and was off balance but that happens when your the last man some times

For me it was a top top drawer performance and he snuffed out lukaku for the whole game bar that error which was down to bad luck
Verts was immense - especially those surging forward runs that reminded me of the game against Swansea where he and Bale swapped assists. As for their goal, he got his feet mixed up and Lukaku's strength did the rest.

Isn't that exactly what an intelligent defender with good feet should do and hence be a vital part of the overall rating of the player?

How many times in the past have we complained about defender that never seems to pass the centerline, even when there seems to an ocean of space on the other side?

Verts was immense - especially those surging forward runs that reminded me of the game against Swansea where he and Bale swapped assists. As for their goal, he got his feet mixed up and Lukaku's strength did the rest.

He didn't actually get his feet mixed up, he was stepping backwards when Lukaku handed him off (fairly) and it put him off balance.

He tripped over, it happens. Other than that he had a very good game imo. That is why I said I don't believe him to be a great defender at all but actually just a very good footballer overall. You can see his Ajax schooling because he is comfortable in a multitude of positions.

I can be quite a critic of his defensive perfomances but I thought he was superb on Sunday and generally this season I think he has been the better of the pairing which has pleasantly surprised me.

He said the other players were taking the tinkle because he had not scored in so long so he tried extra hard against everton.

He seemed extra tired and that is why he slipped. I hope he tells the other players to fcuk off.

Overall he has been our beat centre half this season I would say.

On the other hand he was instrumental in it being a comfortable 2-0 lead in the first place. Everton, who were in form, created essentially nothing up until that point with Vertonghen being excellent and a big part of that. Whilst at the same time contributing a lot to our attacking play. Arguably more than any other player in our team apart from our front 3.

Vertonghen then went back to being very good after the slip meaning we weren't put under huge pressure at 2-1. Then other players let us down for the 3-2.

Kane was my motm, particularly because that opening goal from nothing was so important when the game looked to be one of only a fee chances. But Vertonghen was up there too.

Eh? He was fine today, I felt - he had to cover the yawning gap at left-back pretty much by himself while Son was stranded up on the touchline where he could do no harm whatsoever.

Eh? He was fine today, I felt - he had to cover the yawning gap at left-back pretty much by himself while Son was stranded up on the touchline where he could do no harm whatsoever.

Agree with you. I said it a couple times before kick off that whatever the formation, he was going to be isolated and exposed. Really odd that Poch made such an unusual change in such a big game

Back