• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

Well that's still more then one, anyway we are going round in circles here and neither of us are getting anywhere.

Yeah I agree and I also agree that stats are not the only answer but when it comes down to expressing opinions using stats help massively create a factually based piece.

I know when I have to go to a business for money for investment they rarely question what I am after, it's more about how you got to that decision so they can understand the logic. Everyone I've worked in the world two plus two equals four, but you could argue all day what colour the sky was/is!!!

This should be quoted at the bottom of every thread.

The same old discussions again and again about the merit of stats and whether Toby Aldereiweld plays RB for Belgium due to lack of other RB's or quality of CB's... sheesh.

Ground-hog day sir?

just be thankful were not all involved with the Tottenham transfer signing committee...a whole window debating the relevance of stats and NO players signed....twould be a nightmare!

Why is it Mason that's being replaced?

Mason was arguably the attacking one of the pivot and Bentelab was more of the sitter yet Mason is the one being replaced by a defensive player!!

I'm a big fan of Bentelab by the way but I'm curious

Why is anyone being replaced? Why are not strengthening our squad and looking to compete on multiple levels? Put it this way, I'd rather McCarthy than Stambouli or that total waster Capoue (a footballer no doubt but a lazy bastard).

Why's Mason being replaced? Because he's not close to being good enough, easily our weakest player last season and bentaleb, while inconsistent, is clearly the far superior player already despite being 3 years younger.

Personally I'd prefer to sell mason, but it wouldn't be so bad if he's back up.

Why's Mason being replaced? Because he's not close to being good enough, easily our weakest player last season and bentaleb, while inconsistent, is clearly the far superior player already despite being 3 years younger.

I can understand come of the criticism of Mason in the last few weeks of the season.

But it's ridiculous that golden boy Eriksen escapes any flak. He was the one whose form went completely off a cliff after the LC final and was the player being carried by the rest of the team.

Funny. I thought our season really began to take off once Mason came into the first team.

I feel we were not defensive enough last season, the MF didn't offer enough protection for those behind them

tickle my balls with a feather and if we are to improve this season we have to offer more protection to our back four. If we go into the season with just Mason and Bentaleb as our CM we will struggle again.

Funny. I thought our season really began to take off once Mason came into the first team.

He was an improvement on the ones he replaced. There's still room to improve further. He really shouldn't be more than a squad player at the moment, but there's no reason to sell him. Needs at least another season or two at this level before we can really make any judgements as he's taken so long to get here in the first place and he can play further forward as well.

Any new CM should be a considerable upgrade though. Someone with a bit of experience.

I can understand come of the criticism of Mason in the last few weeks of the season.

But it's ridiculous that golden boy Eriksen escapes any flak. He was the one whose form went completely off a cliff after the LC final and was the player being carried by the rest of the team.

I think it's for the amazing amount of goals he scored, and I portent ones, but agreed, he did drop off massively. But I blame poch for never resting him, even in easy Europe games, and then not resting him towards the end. I'm co if dent he'll start in fire again this season and hopefully with a better squad poch will mange his game time better.

He was an improvement on the ones he replaced. There's still room to improve further. He really shouldn't be more than a squad player at the moment, but there's no reason to sell him. Needs at least another season or two at this level before we can really make any judgements as he's taken so long to get here in the first place and he can play further forward as well.

Any new CM should be a considerable upgrade though. Someone with a bit of experience.

No arguments from me in the need for improvement. I would hope that we will also see an improvement from Mason now that he has a season under his belt and hopefully, manages to have a full pre-season.

That's because unlike the players he replaced he was mobile and could pass the ball (despite what Grimsby says )

Prior to last season you would never have contemplated playing him as a holder and I still don't think he was meant to be, hence why pre season he played with Crapoue

The problem was that no one centrally showed anything better than a Mason Bentelab pairing despite the experiences of those players

Both will IMO step up now after a full season and be all the better for it

I personally am all for upgrading the first 11 but it has to be genuine quality now rather than stocking fillers. Luckily I'm not paid to find those players but although I'd back him I'd be disappointed if McCarthy was signed to play a first choice and for the £20m i think we can get a lot better

Ilamendi is apparently available from Madrid for less money and IMO is a player much more suited to us than McCarthy

Anyone think we have a chance?

Illarramendi is tailor-made for Liverpool, I suspect. Xabi Alonso-type player, Spanish (which may hold weight, what with Liverpool's colourful history with Spaniards) and currently being overseen by Rafa Benitez (who will no doubt point him in that direction if they're interested).

Back