• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

Don't blame you, it wasn't a particularly memorable deal. ;) For what it's worth, I think we'll report the deal as 15-odd million plus Lennon, if it does happen: might even get around tax obligations that way.

depends on our relationship with Everton......the Swansea deals worked because apparently our board have a very good relationship with Swansea's

3 separate deals - Vorm was undisclosed, Davies and Sig were both similarly priced, iirc

forgot about Lennon and a possibe deal with Everton - could add weight to the rumors i guess

I stand corrected, then. :) Either way, I figure double deals and swaps for players are reported the way they are in order to avoid or minimize transaction taxes and the attendant FIFA fees that come with using their transfer registration system, so whatever way we go with them in the future (not necessarily with McCarthy and Lennon) will reflect those priorities.

In a world of £25m Schneiderlin and £8m Suarez, McCarthy is no where near a £20m player

Or the world where Jordan Henderson of 3 years ago was worth £22m. Last year nearly everyone baulked at 25m for Schneiderlin yet people would rejoice if we signed him for that now. Everton struggled last year and he suffered with injury but he is a very good player.

He was signed 2 seasons ago for 13million by a club without huge budget so it represents a big investment for Everton. Since then he has impressed greatly and Utd and Arsenal both have been continuously linked. Of course nothing set in stone but the fact that big clubs have been linked suggests to me that he would be a big player for us. I follow Ireland and he looks an accomplished player who works hard, is strong and has good technique on the ball. He isn't so dissimilar from Scheiderlin and he strikes me as a Bentelab type player where we rave about him yet other teams fans think he's poor.

One other thing to note about him is that we saw in the last year or two that teams like Soton and Swansea have beaten the big boys well without 'star names' due to a system that people buy into and a balanced and functional team. In many respects he fits the bill of what we are looking for, has impressed in our league, has some big boy admirers and I think he would do well with us. A quartet of McCarthy, Nabil, Mason and Dembele with Alli/Carroll/Velkovic as squad members looks a really strong and technical team.

Prices are inflating constantly and I am sure that if he stays fit then we will recognise his value just like Everton fans do now.

wasn't United/Arsenals interest in him prior to his move to Everton? and from what i have read Everton fans think he hasn't really looked like fulfilling his potential since moving there, is inconsistent and lacks effort/desire

edit : although the guys on this Everton forum seem to really rate him highly...

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/james-mccarthy.60038/page-388

so much so that im questioning what i was reading a few weeks back when initially linked

Last edited:
wasn't United/Arsenals interest in him prior to his move to Everton? and from what i have read Everton fans think he hasn't really looked like fulfilling his potential since moving there, is inconsistent and lacks effort/desire

edit : although the guys on this Everton forum seem to really rate him highly...

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/james-mccarthy.60038/page-388

Heeeeeeellll no. That's the one thing he does give to Everton, in spades. I haven't seen any Everton fans ever complaining about his work ethic, his tirelessness or his willingness to chase lost causes. Some might complain about his seeming lack of desire to dominate games or really influence play a la Roy Keane (especially Ireland fans, it seems)...but the lad's an extremely hard worker, no doubt about that.

His hamstrings, however...there were some reports of Martinez and the Everton medical team really struggling when it came to keeping them in order. I can't imagine what the relentless grind of a season with Poch will do to 'em, if that's true.

Heeeeeeellll no. That's the one thing he does give to Everton, in spades. I haven't seen any Everton fans ever complaining about his work ethic, his tirelessness or his willingness to chase lost causes. Some might complain about his seeming lack of desire to dominate games or really influence play a la Roy Keane (especially Ireland fans, it seems)...but the lad's an extremely hard worker, no doubt about that.

His hamstrings, however...there were some reports of Martinez and the Everton medical team really struggling when it came to keeping them in order. I can't imagine what the relentless grind of a season with Poch will do to 'em, if that's true.

have amended my initial post having looked on the McCarthy thread : https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/james-mccarthy.60038/page-388

they seem to really rate him

I have always thought that when a player moves from a smaller club to a bigger one and is not a success, then his next transfer value depreciates or does this only apply to THFC player purchases that don't cut it?

McCarthy has been anything but a success at Everton . They paid around £12m so I think our offer should be £7-£8m max now . Anything more and Levy is getting Levyed.

Id advise you guys to read through the link i posted to the thread on him from an Everton forum, i wasn't particularly enthused by the link but having read through that and seeing how high they rate him it's made me reassess my position

have amended my initial post having looked on the McCarthy thread : https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/james-mccarthy.60038/page-388

they seem to really rate him

He is their Mason, some rate McCarthy and some dont. One person even compared him to Lee Carsley. One said he would take Mason, Lennon and some money in exchange. I really dont see a potential out pouring of tears from Everton fans if they lose McCarthy for 20 mill. it will be Spurs fans doing the crying :(

He is their Mason, some rate McCarthy and some dont. One person even compared him to Lee Carsley. One said he would take Mason, Lennon and some money in exchange. I really dont see a potential out pouring of tears from Everton fans if they lose McCarthy for 20 mill. it will be Spurs fans doing the crying :(

why am i not surprised that you have managed to weed out the negative sentiments in a thread which is almost entirely positive :p - it's akin to writing off a 5 star amazon product because a couple of people gave it 1 star!

and regarding the bolded line above, the very first line from the very first post on that link says : "Would cry if we sold James."

Last edited:
The fans on that are clearly deluded! £30m plus, they're competing for CL!! My GHod and I thought Liverpool fans were mad, must be a scouser thing.

He is a very good player.

If he came you would immediately notice it.

He is worth 20m if that's who Poch wants.

Let's see what happens

why am i not surprised that you have managed to weed out the negative sentiments in a thread which is almost entirely positive :p - it's akin to writing off a 5 star amazon product because a couple of people gave it 1 star!

and regarding the bolded line above, the very first line from the very first post on that link says : "Would cry if we sold James."

well i didnt read all 350 pages or however many there were;)............i read about 4 pages and the opinion was 50/50 on McCarthy, like i said some rate him and some dont.

"Would cry if we sold James." ?? oh dear, how can you be so easily influenced?:)...........i mean before you found that thread my impression was that you werent in favour of us signing him.

did you really expect to go on there and not find positive opinions about him. Look at our own Soldado thread, there are plenty who stick up for Bobby despite his poor goal return for us.

Mason divides opinion in the same way

well i didnt read all 350 pages or however many there were;)............i read about 4 pages and the opinion was 50/50 on McCarthy, like i said some rate him and some dont.

"Would cry if we sold James." ?? oh dear, how can you be so easily influenced?:)...........i mean before you found that thread my impression was that you werent in favour of us signing him.

did you really expect to go on there and not find positive opinions about him. Look at our own Soldado thread, there are plenty who stick up for Bobby despite his poor goal return for us.

Mason divides opinion in the same way

100% correct except at least soldado has a genuine track record to back up the views

Back