• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Or (as is significantly more likely), we've never wanted him and it's all press flimflam.
We wanted him when he was at Coventry. He was a Pleat recommendation. Not getting him was nothing to do with money however. The player thought his career would be better off going to Norwich and playing regularly (and I think he was correct to make that decision). When he moved from Norwich to Leicester, we were interested but our main target for that similar position was Grealish. I think Leicester were quite smart and came in and agreed a deal quickly to avoid him maybe getting offers from bigger clubs when they were moving on to their plan Bs.

He's 26 now. Nobody else has pushed Leicester into a sale.

Lots and lots of low probability shots/assists combined with a somewhat meh passing rate. Looks great on a highlights reel though.
2.3 key passes per game is a very large number indeed. That's close to an assist a game when making those passes to Harry Kane.

I would argue that Maddison passes the eyeball test as opposed to the highlights reel test. Whenever I have watched him in their games against Spurs I have been impressed. Good movement, nice control and touch with both feet, good vision and good pass execution. I don't know what's not to like really?

2.3 key passes per game is a very large number indeed. That's close to an assist a game when making those passes to Harry Kane.

I would argue that Maddison passes the eyeball test as opposed to the highlights reel test. Whenever I have watched him in their games against Spurs I have been impressed. Good movement, nice control and touch with both feet, good vision and good pass execution. I don't know what's not to like really?

He made some negative tweets when he was a youngster about Gareth Bale

2.3 key passes with a total xG of 0.1 for all his assists.

Much like his 0.065 xG per shot, it points to some really poor decision making.

2.3 key passes with a total xG of 0.1 for all his assists.

Much like his 0.065 xG per shot, it points to some really poor decision making.
Poor decision making on the part of the person taking the shot?

To go further on his stats last season (in a relegated team):

0.36 goals per 90 (92nd percentile)
0.33 assists per 90 (97th percentile)
0.69 G+A per 90 (96th percentile)
0.29 XG per 90 (91st percentile)
0.25 XA per 90 (98th percentile).
2.56 key passes per 90 (98th percentile)

Last edited:
Poor decision making on the part of the person taking the shot?
Depends.

You want to use his key pass/90 rate as a yardstick, then it has to be taken into account that the vast majority of those key passes were low quality.

Or you can blame the striker and discount their xGA from the equation but you also have to balance that with removing them from the KP/90.

Depends.

You want to use his key pass/90 rate as a yardstick, then it has to be taken into account that the vast majority of those key passes were low quality.

Or you can blame the striker and discount their xGA from the equation but you also have to balance that with removing them from the KP/90.
His XA per 90 was in the 98th percentile. Does that not indicate the opposite of what you are suggesting?

Footystats.org. They also have his overall rating for 22/23 season as 7.36 which was 14th of 442 midfield players.
I don't know their data or how it's collected.

One possibility is that Statsbomb have open play figures for xG and xGA - so maybe the difference is in set pieces. Wouldn't be surprising given the kind of team Leicester are and where they finished in the table.

I think this one will happen, seems like one of them rumours that ends up turning into something.

Back