• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is this the end of big spending in european football?

To answer the original question I think we will see it reeled back in there is no choice if FFP bites as it seems to be. It will also give Europe a chance to heel and recover from what seems to be almost blanketed bankruptcy.

City have spent more time in the top flight in their history than we have.

Found that surprising, they did get to the top flight 10 years before us (and the gap is 6 years between us)

The damning statistic for City is they have won more trophies since 2008 than in the previous 130 years .. their current level is bogus

Found that surprising, they did get to the top flight 10 years before us (and the gap is 6 years between us)

The damning statistic for City is they have won more trophies since 2008 than in the previous 130 years .. their current level is bogus

I'm not sure how it's counted, but is a technicality that we were in Div 2 during the 6 years when the league was suspended for WW2 a factor?

To answer the original question I think we will see it reeled back in there is no choice if FFP bites as it seems to be. It will also give Europe a chance to heel and recover from what seems to be almost blanketed bankruptcy.

Without prem money going to europe for players. The only way they are going to heal is to reduce wages aswell.

Saudi are the wildcard in all this. Although not sure they can/will go again next summer. They've been quiet this window.

listening to a Saudi Sportswashing Machine fan on the radio earlier going on about the fact that they can't even afford the loan fee for Kalvin Phillips, I think its starting to dawn on a few fan groups that the sugar daddy era may be coming to an end. I also wonder if these exceptionally long contracts Cheatski handed out to kids who are not measuring up might result in difficulties on the pitch before the legality of their finances are an issue. They have spent £1bn and really don't have a very good squad. It could be good one day, but its not a certainty.

listening to a Saudi Sportswashing Machine fan on the radio earlier going on about the fact that they can't even afford the loan fee for Kalvin Phillips, I think its starting to dawn on a few fan groups that the sugar daddy era may be coming to an end. I also wonder if these exceptionally long contracts Cheatski handed out to kids who are not measuring up might result in difficulties on the pitch before the legality of their finances are an issue. They have spent £1bn and really don't have a very good squad. It could be good one day, but its not a certainty.

It would be nice if a journalist could break down what the amortisation and wage figures are for each club. Will chelsea have to be bailed out by the saudis every year?

It would be nice if a journalist could break down what the amortisation and wage figures are for each club. Will chelsea have to be bailed out by the saudis every year?
They can’t because the clubs rarely share it
They share the debt but in can’t then reside that to a certain player
Right now, Chelsea will need Saudi money for sure

Relegating City is not really punishment. Even if they were dropped two divisions it would be novel, interesting, and they’d rebuild. Far better to restrict their spending for 5-10 years.

Relegating City is not really punishment. Even if they were dropped two divisions it would be novel, interesting, and they’d rebuild. Far better to restrict their spending for 5-10 years.

They’d have to abide by efl spending rules. Without cl money or prem tv money they will probably need to cut back.

I’ll be happy if they are branded cheats. Makes a mockery of sports washing,

I think this will gradually bring player prices back in line with what they were before the Neymar sale, after which they exploded. Very few clubs could afford £60/70/80 million transfer fees before the new rules and even fewer will now. So the fees will come down.

The other thing that will come down is wages, as they also count towards FFP. This will likely be more gradual than transfer fees, but we will likely see most high earners close to £200K rather than £250-300K.

Put these two together and the result may be less player movement overall, which may or may not be a good thing. It will also force clubs to develop players more than they do now. I can see a lot of the action being in who will snap up the next 15/16/17-year old talent more than it is now.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
I think you're right. Probably will be a bit of a lull in spending as clubs adjust. If not for the Saudi spending in the summer we probably would have seen a lot more of it then as well.

There will still be spending and big money spending if course, but less of it than we've seen.

Chelsea I think a lot will depend on how long they struggle on the pitch and how long clearly talented players continue to underperform (for various reasons of course).

They've imo essentially gambled that the spending so far would get them back to the CL and increase their turnover enough that it's sustainable along with new spending. And that the long amortisation periods would work out medium to long term because the players would be really good for a long time.

If those things continue to not be true they could really struggle I think. Having a disjointed team and little wiggle room to spend to get out of that and a cash strapped marked for selling is not a great combination.

Relegate two tiers (like Juve was), ban from domestic cups for minimum 2 years (so they don't rack up trophies while sitting in lower tiers), subject to increased audit rigour for next 5 years.

Rebuild for them would be tough, Pep, KDB, Haaland, all their best players would leave

Chelsea I think a lot will depend on how long they struggle on the pitch and how long clearly talented players continue to underperform (for various reasons of course).

They've imo essentially gambled that the spending so far would get them back to the CL and increase their turnover enough that it's sustainable along with new spending. And that the long amortisation periods would work out medium to long term because the players would be really good for a long time.

If those things continue to not be true they could really struggle I think. Having a disjointed team and little wiggle room to spend to get out of that and a cash strapped marked for selling is not a great combination.

Chelsea is a mess, one of the early takes I read basically said they gambled on the players they bought being successful and value going up, plus likely gambling on income going up. They in effect have a negative starting value to make up for next 3-5 or so years, stuff like not being in CL is another major hit.

Back