• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is this the end of big spending in european football?

I think this will gradually bring player prices back in line with what they were before the Neymar sale, after which they exploded. Very few clubs could afford £60/70/80 million transfer fees before the new rules and even fewer will now. So the fees will come down.

The other thing that will come down is wages, as they also count towards FFP. This will likely be more gradual than transfer fees, but we will likely see most high earners close to £200K rather than £250-300K.

Put these two together and the result may be less player movement overall, which may or may not be a good thing. It will also force clubs to develop players more than they do now. I can see a lot of the action being in who will snap up the next 15/16/17-year old talent more than it is now.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I think this will gradually bring player prices back in line with what they were before the Neymar sale, after which they exploded. Very few clubs could afford £60/70/80 million transfer fees before the new rules and even fewer will now. So the fees will come down.

The other thing that will come down is wages, as they also count towards FFP. This will likely be more gradual than transfer fees, but we will likely see most high earners close to £200K rather than £250-300K.

Put these two together and the result may be less player movement overall, which may or may not be a good thing. It will also force clubs to develop players more than they do now. I can see a lot of the action being in who will snap up the next 15/16/17-year old talent more than it is now.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Yeah u21s don't count towards the profit and sustainability rules. Although i'm not sure if, (when they turn 21) their amortisation does or not. Google is absoulutely toss as a search engine these days. So can't find the answer.

But in the end, smart, sensible, rules-complying Spurs win.

Levy vindicated. Nay, deified. Statue erected. Stand named. Trophies out the ying-yang. The Golden Age will be upon us.

Right?

But in the end, smart, sensible, rules-complying Spurs win.

Levy vindicated. Nay, deified. Statue erected. Stand named. Trophies out the ying-yang. The Golden Age will be upon us.

Right?

Well we seem to have more wiggle room than most other clubs at the moment. Hopefully we can capitalise on it in the summer bring in some great players and go on to great things. We'll see.

But things for other clubs do seem to have changed massively.

Yeah u21s don't count towards the profit and sustainability rules. Although i'm not sure if, (when they turn 21) their amortisation does or not. Google is absoulutely toss as a search engine these days. So can't find the answer.
I don't know if they count, but the transfer fees in the U21 space aren't going to be anywhere near what they are with senior players. Definitely when it comes to U18s. In the 18-21 space, where they are offered professional contracts, it will probably be different, but even there very very few will command crazy fees and wages. I think those will probably count.

Well we seem to have more wiggle room than most other clubs at the moment. Hopefully we can capitalise on it in the summer bring in some great players and go on to great things. We'll see.

But things for other clubs do seem to have changed massively.
Yes. But...

...in the end, smart, sensible, rules-complying Spurs win.

Right?

That was a very competent, straightforward initial reply from you.

But now, you want to go again. After my boastful, proud-chest-forward declaration about the club's prospects, I dangled that final word - Right? - to indicate the inherent insecurity long-time Spurs fans feel no matter how re-assuring someone is about their future prospects.

That's your cue to come in with a mischievous retort that plays on that insecurity. Try it again.

Yes. But...

...in the end, smart, sensible, rules-complying Spurs win.

Right?

That was a very competent, straightforward initial reply from you.

But now, you want to go again. After my boastful, proud-chest-forward declaration about the club's prospects, I dangled that final word - Right? - to indicate the inherent insecurity long-time Spurs fans feel no matter how re-assuring someone is about their future prospects.

That's your cue to come in with a mischievous retort that plays on that insecurity. Try it again.

sexy. We always find a way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

That better?

I think clubs will still expect silly fees because… they can
There will always be someone stupid enough
The issue with football is the control has gone unchecked for too long
No big club has gone bust
Every top end player earns a fortune
That will not change with things like this
Especially not When some countries funded clubs can get better legal support than the organisations
And yeah … governments have kinda stepped in. But they can only do so much too

Honestly…
I think the influx of new money and American owners wanting to invest will change thing negatively for a few more years still
Chelsea will have pseudo investment from Saudi though it’s multiple layers of ownership
Others will copy
The ability to spend the money of owners has been hit. Saudi Sportswashing Machine aren't able to spend as they would be next to break the rules and charged if they did. They are looking at loans and selling players. This is totally different to when City was first bought. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine could they would do exactly what City did but the new rules are stopping them.

I think clubs will still expect silly fees because… they can
There will always be someone stupid enough
The issue with football is the control has gone unchecked for too long
No big club has gone bust
Every top end player earns a fortune
That will not change with things like this
Especially not When some countries funded clubs can get better legal support than the organisations
And yeah … governments have kinda stepped in. But they can only do so much too
It's nothing to do with having better legal support. The clubs agreed to and signed up to the new rules.

The ability to spend the money of owners has been hit. Saudi Sportswashing Machine aren't able to spend as they would be next to break the rules and charged if they did. They are looking at loans and selling players. This is totally different to when City was first bought. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine could they would do exactly what City did but the new rules are stopping them.
I'm very interested to see if they sell one of their bit part players to Saudi for 50 million.

If transfer fees were to fall like suggested then I would be alarmed if we paid anywhere close to the 50m suggested for Gallagher.

With everton being deducted points. Also the changes of the rules in August, to be more in line with uefas. Amortisation + wages + agents fees = a percentage of turnover (70% for uefa as of next year, the prem are yet to announce but the efl will follow). Does that mean clubs will need to sell to buy as most are near the limit already?

We've seen it in europe already. Real madrid had to have a couple of windows with zero net spend and unload some big earners. In order to bring in the likes of bellingham. Barca had to sell their media rights and pull various levers. Even byern one of the best run clubs in the world had to sell, to buy kane.

As the rules are based on wages and amortisation. They are not one off. They run for years. You can't just hold off spending for a season or 2. Either you sell the player or their contract runs out. Or you sell academy players. In order to give you wiggle room. Or you increase turnover (promoted clubs will be able to spend due to increased tv revenue).

I know it's sort of been covered in other threads. But it just dawned on me. How much of a monumental shift this will be. We will probably never see £1bn transfer windows again. Unless the saudis or someone else buy prem players allowing them to spend and starting a domino effect.

Clubs will have to be really careful on what they spend their money on. Think transfer fees and wages will at least be curtailed if not reduced overall.

Anyway thoughts?

So a few thoughts, some are already talked about, some people are missing

1. Re the PL there is a genuine concern around the government regulator stepping in (go look at the recent committee interview with head of PL), hence PL is suddenly interested in actually implementing rules (vs. have someone implement it for them)
2. UEFA has implemented the wage rules, this will be eventually for all, 70% within next couple of years (I actually think the side effect will be bench depth at large clubs, no one will be able to afford to pay someone £200K+ to sit on a bench)
3. Ongoing threat of ESL, in all the criticism of ESL people missed a big attraction for the legacy big clubs was some of the financial controls and predictability.
4. Saudi, Simon Jordan (yes, can be a clam but does have a sometimes interesting perspective) has talked about this, Saudi is already pushing to have their league join the CL, there apparently is a real concern that Saudi leverages basically their unlimited fund bucket (£320B) to buy top players, pay idiot wages and upset the balance of CL. So part of the above reaction is a pre-emptive view of putting rules into place, so if the decision is made to allow Saudi into CL, it is under strict rules/controls
5. Traditional European elite clubs know they can't compete with PL (or Saudi) and they will use their influence to get it as controlled as possible.
6. City's 1115 charges has stirred up a distaste in the public for breaking the rules that potentially wasn't there before.

My point
- Well it's very easy to be cynical and say nothing is going to change, there certainly is enough momentum to suggest despite the fact that this should have been stopped before RA bought Chelsea (let the cat out the bag), there will be changes coming

Good news is Spurs is probably the best positioned top club in Europe to deal with it and potentially benefit from it.

The real question is how much balls does the PL have when it comes to City/Chelsea's punishments?

Every club and owner with money will look at ways to bend the rules
Yes, City being the prime example. If it's proven that they did I really think they are fudged. They will have to come down like a ton of bricks on them to deter others from it. They'll have to get at least relegated and I can see it being more than dropping down one division. Of course it's a tough case to prove and they'll more than likely get away with it.

But it is getting harder to bend the rules like City as dodgy sponsorship deals are being looked at. It will be the same with inflated prices for players going to Saudi and there's a limit on how many times that can be done.

So a few thoughts, some are already talked about, some people are missing

1. Re the PL there is a genuine concern around the government regulator stepping in (go look at the recent committee interview with head of PL), hence PL is suddenly interested in actually implementing rules (vs. have someone implement it for them)
2. UEFA has implemented the wage rules, this will be eventually for all, 70% within next couple of years (I actually think the side effect will be bench depth at large clubs, no one will be able to afford to pay someone £200K+ to sit on a bench)
3. Ongoing threat of ESL, in all the criticism of ESL people missed a big attraction for the legacy big clubs was some of the financial controls and predictability.
4. Saudi, Simon Jordan (yes, can be a clam but does have a sometimes interesting perspective) has talked about this, Saudi is already pushing to have their league join the CL, there apparently is a real concern that Saudi leverages basically their unlimited fund bucket (£320B) to buy top players, pay idiot wages and upset the balance of CL. So part of the above reaction is a pre-emptive view of putting rules into place, so if the decision is made to allow Saudi into CL, it is under strict rules/controls
5. Traditional European elite clubs know they can't compete with PL (or Saudi) and they will use their influence to get it as controlled as possible.
6. City's 1115 charges has stirred up a distaste in the public for breaking the rules that potentially wasn't there before.

My point
- Well it's very easy to be cynical and say nothing is going to change, there certainly is enough momentum to suggest despite the fact that this should have been stopped before RA bought Chelsea (let the cat out the bag), there will be changes coming

Good news is Spurs is probably the best positioned top club in Europe to deal with it and potentially benefit from it.

The real question is how much balls does the PL have when it comes to City/Chelsea's punishments?

I don't think snyone is worried about the saudis. Look at all the players that already want to jump ship.

Also how do you manage the logistics? From glasgow to saudi it's a 10 hour flight.

When it is mentioned that City might get relegated if found guilty as charged, is there actually an agreement with the EFL that they would accept any team relegated as a punishment? As that would have an impact on the operation of whatever division a team was relegated to? Genuine question as I have no idea how that would work.

When it is mentioned that City might get relegated if found guilty as charged, is there actually an agreement with the EFL that they would accept any team relegated as a punishment? As that would have an impact on the operation of whatever division a team was relegated to? Genuine question as I have no idea how that would work.

Relegation would just be relegated instead of 18th place. Kicked out of the league though then the efl decide whether or not they want to accept them.

As far as i'm aware.

Back