• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is the Premier League still the best league in the World?

Is the Premier League still the best league?

• Yes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
In terms of excitement, our league is probably still unmatched, but I have thought for at least two years that La Liga has overtaken the Premier League in terms of quality.

The Bundesliga is catching up too hence them being given 4 CL places in instead of Serie A. Dortmund are one of the best teams to watch in Europe in my opinion. I'd say they play the best football apart from Barca.

Even Ajax, whose starting 11 cost £2.7m outpassed Emirates Marketing Project.

One thing is for sure, of the best teams in Europe, none of the top 4 are English. Chelsea would be 5th IMO.

Absolutely. The Spanish league is boring in terms of we all know who's gonna finish in the top 2, we can more or less guess who's gonna win the league, and all the non-Barca and Real games are boring.

The German league is probably second, but I don't think their excitement and quality matches our league's yet.

Absolutely. The Spanish league is boring in terms of we all know who's gonna finish in the top 2, we can more or less guess who's gonna win the league, and all the non-Barca and Real games are boring.

The German league is probably second, but I don't think their excitement and quality matches our league's yet.

Not this year. Atletico Madrid will be up there if they can keep Falcao until the end of the season.

You could say our league is boring in that respect. Arsenal, Chelsea and United always get top 4 minimum, and Emirates Marketing Project ain't going anywhere whislt Shiekh Mansour is around.

Not this year. Atletico Madrid will be up there if they can keep Falcao until the end of the season.

You could say our league is boring in that respect. Arsenal, Chelsea and United always get top 4 minimum, and Emirates Marketing Project ain't going anywhere whislt Shiekh Mansour is around.

Chelsea finished 6th last season, and Arsenal have no guaranteed place in this top 4 this season.

Very difficult to objectively judge "excitement level" when we're all so clearly biased by being Spurs fans :) I've always cared a lot more about the PL than any other league so for me it's easily the most exciting, but if you've always followed the Bundesliga or La Liga that's probably more exciting to you.

Read somewhere that the Bundesliga had more goals than any of the other top leagues in Europe for example.

I do think the PL is among the beast easily, doesn't have the best top quality sides at the moment, but that's bound to fluctuate a bit and City, Chelsea and Manu have the potential to be right up there somewhat soon.

I don't think there was ever any definitive proof that it ever was the best league in the world. Us folks in England/Wales are constantly surrounded by it.

There'll be a spanish andy townsend after every game saying "that's why this is the best league in the world" after a decent game, probably an Italian one as well

It's close between the English and German league now in terms of the number of quality teams. The Spanish league is all Barca and Real and Italy are going to struggle to stay ahead of Portugal and France in the UEFA rankings soon.

I don't think there was ever any definitive proof that it ever was the best league in the world. Us folks in England/Wales are constantly surrounded by it.

There'll be a spanish andy townsend after every game saying "that's why this is the best league in the world" after a decent game, probably an Italian one as well

I would beg to differ.

If you look at the number of players who have participated in the past few FIFA World Cup Finals, the Premier League has supplied far more players than any other League in the World.

In fact, looking at the last eight FIFA World Cup Finals 1982-2012 produces these figures:

576 England
445 Italy
390 Germany
375 Spain
312 France

FIFA World Cup Finals 2010 Player Details with Club & National League Affiliation

Entertainment = Premier League. Match day experience =
Bundesliga.

Went to a Dortmund game a few years ago, and the atmosphere there was insane, WHL has not even been close to it.

Entertainment = Premier League. Match day experience =
Bundesliga.

Went to a Dortmund game a few years ago, and the atmosphere there was insane, WHL has not even been close to it.

And you can drink beer in the stands. Loved those cups they sold with player pictures on.

Hasn't been the best since Ronaldo left IMO.

In terms of excitement, I think it is better now than it was throughout most of the 2000s. The top teams have all got worse and the others have got better, the race for the Top 7 places is very competitive, any of them could finish as high as 3rd. No more 5th place for teams like Bolton

In terms of excitement, I think it is better now than it was throughout most of the 2000s. The top teams have all got worse and the others have got better, the race for the Top 7 places is very competitive, any of them could finish as high as 3rd. No more 5th place for teams like Bolton

I agree, the dip started when Ronaldo went to Madrid.

I do find amusing when English teams struggle in Europe it's a blip, when our teams do well, it's proof that the PL is the best league.

I agree, the dip started when Ronaldo went to Madrid.

I do find amusing when English teams struggle in Europe it's a blip, when our teams do well, it's proof that the PL is the best league.

I'm happy to see teams from more leagues do well in Europe. Having 12 or more QF teams (CL and EL) from the same 6 leagues is boring. Now for UEFA to cut down the number teams entered from one league in the CL...

Its probably between england and spain. La Liga has the best 2 clubs, then next you'd probably pick a few of the English clubs and then the next few are probably back to the spanish - they seem to dominate the europa league. I think our bottom half is stronger than theirs but difficult to compare.

i have thought that the Prem lge has been over rated for several years, thanks to Sky always telling us it is the only place to be. i enjoy the Spanish league for the ability of the players and i think German football is exciting.

I would beg to differ.

If you look at the number of players who have participated in the past few FIFA World Cup Finals, the Premier League has supplied far more players than any other League in the World.

In fact, looking at the last eight FIFA World Cup Finals 1982-2012 produces these figures:

576 England
445 Italy
390 Germany
375 Spain
312 France

FIFA World Cup Finals 2010 Player Details with Club & National League Affiliation

Or maybe all those stats demonstrate is the lack of home grown talent produced by English clubs compared to their continental counterparts.

The fact that ManU have only managed to win 2 Champions League titles despite being the dominant force domestically for most of the past 20 years (the first thanks to 2 injury time goals and the latter almost a decade later thanks to Chelsea missing their penalties) suggests to me that the Premier League is not the "best" in Europe. If the EPL were the "best" then surely they would have been more dominant in Europe, like the current Barcelona side (3 Champions League titles in 6 years) or the Galacticos (3 titles in 5 years).

Agreed. As much as I dislike the winker he was the best player to ever ply his trade in the EPL and until the very best players like Cristiano, Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Ronaldinho decide that England is the best place to display their footballing talents then I don't think that we can claim to have the "best" league in terms of quality.

Is the PL more exciting if you support a lower league team? I just ask cos for me I can't really watch Manure, Chelsea, Arse games and sit back and appreciate the skill cos I'm too busy willing them to lose. I guess if you are neutral MoTD most be a lot more enjoyable?

Back